Used 1996 Ford Taurus GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

The Green Monster
By anthonypavone

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as a replacement to my 98 Suzuki . Got it from a friend for $600 with about 140,000 miles. Needed a new battery, catalytic converter, ball joints, and AC system. Through all this I got the car and loved every second of it. Only thing I ended up fixing was the battery, all others were too expensive a repair. In the time I had it the left front turn signal burned out probably twenty or thirty times. But this car drove like a dream. I drive 50 miles a day and only had to fill up once every week and a half. Sadly I hit a deer after 6 months of having it. Tiny deer hit the airbag sensor at 40MPH and to fix would be $1,000, on top of the other fixes. But now I'm looking for another

Favorite Features

Power, size, column shifter, gas mileage, great viability. Retained accessory power, fuel filler on the passenger side (great at the pump!) remarkable trunk space, huge rear window (helps when backing up)

Suggested Improvements

Not they haven't already fixed these things, but the thick vinyl dashboard warped so quickly in the sun. Goose neck hinges on the truck were annoying. The wiring went wonky. Three cup holders up front (had the front bench) but only one of them was useful. A full tank weighed down the car quite a lot, but that could have been a shock problem I wasn't aware of.

It Won't Die!
By xc6793

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally purchased by my dad in teh fall of 1996 (I was only in middle school, but I remember going with him to buy it). Since then, the car has been driven by my mom, my sister (took a lot of abuse, as she learned to drive in it), and finally me. I use it primarily as my second car, particularly to transport my big dogs back and forth to the park (hard to lift them into my suv). It has 217,000 miles and is still going on the original engine and transmission. Sure, it's definitely showing its age, but it amazes me how well this thing still drives. Also, I'm amazed at how many of these things (96-97 model years) I still see driving around.

I loved this car.
By jimandsil

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Taurus in 2003 with 65 K on it. I paid $3500 for it. I had it up to 200K and it was still running great. Replaced the normal stuff like brakes, a radiator, oil sending unit. Had to replace valve cover gaskets but that is about it other than standard maintenance for 8 years. I got rear ended and because of the age it was totaled. Sorry to see it go. On average I put about $300 to $500 into it. I loved this car even though the seats hurt my back but I cut out a piece of foam for back support. It's not stylish or cool but what was really cool was the total cost of ownership which is the most important to me. I just bought a 2003 Taurus SES. I hope it's half as good as my 96.

My first car
By Christian

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 1996 Ford Taurus GL. I bought it with 96,825 miles on it and now it has 114,000 miles on it the only problems with it i have had are the normal Taurus problems as in I had to put new brakes and brake lines on it which was about time because they where the original 1996 brake lines when they went. It drives like a dream and still has it's get up and go.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior design and huge trunk cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions, better brake design.

darn, darn, darn
By Alilly

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

okay..so i purchased this car (which was my first one) last june with 80,000 miles on it...im not sure how many was on there when the whole car went up on me but it jusat did in febuary...7 months and each month after i brought it, it gave me problems from the cadilldic converter to the strut peices..u name it, it had a problem! the inside of the car is great i loved the cloth seats, it was very roomy and the design was cool but the car itself stinks really bad...ford...every ford stands up to its name FIX OR REPAIR DAILY i will never EVER purchase a ford again...such a headache...glad its gone!

Favorite Features

the interior loved the room on the inside...could fit my whole dorm room in the backseat! lol favorite thing ever was the motor going up on me lol bye bye ford

Suggested Improvements

everything electrical, or that had a motor, transmission...u name it