1996 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Solid Piece of Metal
By bmoreravens on 02/15/14 13:01 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this in 2013 with only 46,000 miles on it for only $2,000. Needed $500 worth of work to pass inspection, which had to do with the front stabilizing rods. This car is extremely reliable, although at times the transmission slams when going from park to reverse because of its high idle function. Had to put another $200 in a few months after purchase to repair ruptured brake line. Starts right up and has a really great hum to it. I get better gas mileage than its rated for, about 22mpg combined compared to the 18 or so its rated for, but I drive gently.

It Won't Die!
By xc6793 on 01/11/13 09:05 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally purchased by my dad in teh fall of 1996 (I was only in middle school, but I remember going with him to buy it). Since then, the car has been driven by my mom, my sister (took a lot of abuse, as she learned to drive in it), and finally me. I use it primarily as my second car, particularly to transport my big dogs back and forth to the park (hard to lift them into my suv). It has 217,000 miles and is still going on the original engine and transmission. Sure, it's definitely showing its age, but it amazes me how well this thing still drives. Also, I'm amazed at how many of these things (96-97 model years) I still see driving around.

I loved this car.
By jimandsil on 07/25/11 17:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Taurus in 2003 with 65 K on it. I paid $3500 for it. I had it up to 200K and it was still running great. Replaced the normal stuff like brakes, a radiator, oil sending unit. Had to replace valve cover gaskets but that is about it other than standard maintenance for 8 years. I got rear ended and because of the age it was totaled. Sorry to see it go. On average I put about $300 to $500 into it. I loved this car even though the seats hurt my back but I cut out a piece of foam for back support. It's not stylish or cool but what was really cool was the total cost of ownership which is the most important to me. I just bought a 2003 Taurus SES. I hope it's half as good as my 96.

My first car
By Christian on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 1996 Ford Taurus GL. I bought it with 96,825 miles on it and now it has 114,000 miles on it the only problems with it i have had are the normal Taurus problems as in I had to put new brakes and brake lines on it which was about time because they where the original 1996 brake lines when they went. It drives like a dream and still has it's get up and go.

Best car I ever had!
By Ford Taurus on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

First I have to say this car was well taken care of by the previous owner. I've had it for 3 years now and not an ounce of trouble except a flat tire once. I feel safe behind the wheel. It's a heavy car and holds the road good. Everything in it is still working perfectly. Electric windows and everything else. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful car. I'm 80 years old and believe me I've driven almost everything during my lifetime.

Constant work, take the bus 1st, I did.
By Kelly on 08/20/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Was nice at 1st. Owned 3 years, only 91K miles on it, had new brakes 2x, temp thermometer gave out, gas lock which took paying 2x $1,000 for dealership to tell me I was "puttin the wrong gas in", swithed the gas like a smarty pants and STILL had the problem. Steering wheel needs to be parked straight or locks & won't start. Gear shifter gave out, all in 1 year, my car has been towed 7x, never ridden a bus in my life until I owned this car. Thought it would be reliable for college, boy was I wrong. Nothing but problems and ridin the bus constantly. Poorly built, car overheats still when idling at lights or slowing down. NEVER will buy Ford again. VERY bad car, not reliable at all.

96 Taurus LX
By af on 07/04/09 07:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The Duratec engine has more than enough power (the response is amazing when you put the hammer down), and the ride is very smooth, and the seats are very supportive and comfortable on a long drive. Being tall, this car fits me well. Unlike similar Japanese competitors, this car actually feels like it has substance to it. The steering is tight, the 4-wheel disc brakes are powerful and the doors close nicely. It's well built. The controls are well placed, and the standard casette non-JBL stereo is great. I don't know why people hate these cars so much. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. No problems so far...knock on wood.

darn, darn, darn
By Alilly on 03/12/09 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

okay..so i purchased this car (which was my first one) last june with 80,000 miles on it...im not sure how many was on there when the whole car went up on me but it jusat did in febuary...7 months and each month after i brought it, it gave me problems from the cadilldic converter to the strut peices..u name it, it had a problem! the inside of the car is great i loved the cloth seats, it was very roomy and the design was cool but the car itself stinks really bad...ford...every ford stands up to its name FIX OR REPAIR DAILY i will never EVER purchase a ford again...such a headache...glad its gone!

185K and still running
By aaron on 01/14/09 07:35 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The only thing other than brakes and tires all around the things I have had to change are, powersteering pump went after 134k miles,the fuel tank,and the waterpump now with all the bugs worked out it runs awesome for a car built 14 years ago. Would definitely recomend and will be buying a newer one, probably a Mercury Sable though they are a little bit nicer.

'96 Taurus Duratec
By Glen on 10/22/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Got our '96 Taurus in '98 with 35000 miles. Since then I've replaced the turn indicator switch, DPFE, EGR, and some other minor parts. This car has been a delight to own and drive. This is our family car and we change the oil regularly. Right now it has 203000 miles and the 6cyl DOHC Duratec engine is still going strong. Just this year the AC has gone out and the transmission is starting to not shift into overdrive. With regret, it may be time to move on.