1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Ford won't build to last
By mao caves on 09/10/08 12:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Bought my '96 Taurus with 20k miles on, a week later transmission broke down and it was replaced by the dealer. The transmission performance is miserable, dealer could never properly fix it, lots of problems and trips to the dealer, got tired of it. Service engine light on all for years, nobody seens to know whats wrong with the car, at 120k miles car got no ac, no heater, transmission going bad again, engine often stalls, ... A real mess. Nowadays you can only enjoy a Ford for a couple years before becomes a nightmare,

Great Ride
By Fred on 07/06/05 23:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Original owner -- 9 years; other than the idler pulley, no problems at all. Great gas mileage for such a big car -- 26-30 on the highway. Long wheelbase gives a great ride. Handles well in snow and ice. ABS is super. Great car for long drives.

1996 Taurus Wagon
By Ilikeaford on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I have been totally satisfied with the Taurus wagon. There is ample room for the entire family (4) to ride comfortably even on long trips. We have experienced very little down time since purchasing the car seven years ago. One thing to keep a check on is the idler pulley.At around 110,000 miles ours broke and the bolt had to be drilled out for repair. It's a great car!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By #1Taurus Fan on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

My Taurus replaced a 1988 Honda Civic which was falling apart. I bought it used, and at 15,000 mi., the car was in excellent condition. I loved my Taurus since the day I got it, and it hasn't given me any major problems since. It has 57,000 mi. on it and it shifts beautifully. The only problem that I've had with the car is when a sensor and synthesizer went out in the engine. I had it fixed, and for $500, they made it run as good as new. Overall, I love the car, especially the design of it, which hides the fact that it is 8 years old. This is a high quality, low priced, fun to drive car that I would recommend to anyone.

I had an accident now its toast
By crazy1mike on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I loved my car and now it is gone this car is great for families who want a economical car thats dependable. This ford was built tough with a high saftey rateing thats what saved my life and my friends life as well. Needs a little stronger engine to climb hills and things but other wise great car.

Nice Car
By stud1234 on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Consistent performance. Tight car, handle, drive, feel, etc.

Boring Car!
By FordsGRR on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car because a teacher of mine said that the insurance was extremely cheap. I can't believe I bought it. It is the most plain, boring car to drive. I've owned several cars, and this is the one I'd like to see go FAST! The gas mileage isn't very good for a V6, and the interior is quite ugly. Service engine light used to come on, but I hardly drive it since I got a different car. Styling is pretty neat (at least it was in '95 when the new style came out), BUT EVERYONE HAS A DAMN TAURUS!!!!

Practical Transportation
By bwstewart on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

This car has been a mixed experience. Bought it 3 years old, 32k miles. Wife's friend blew the engine a year later, idled too long on a 100F day. new engine runs better than the old one. Rear outboard seatbelt doesn't work all the time. Third row seat is very clever, good for kids. Lots of cargo capacity and better handling than a minivan.

Good, dependable car
By Will W. on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Purchased this car with 30,000 miles and now have 201,000. No major repairs were necessary, this vehicle still has same engine and transmission. I just kept the oil changed every 4,000 miles and serviced the transmission every 40K to 50K. Costs were reasonable for repairs. Highly recommend as a low cost means of good transportation.

a ford yes, but i like it too
By clutchcar-go on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

this is my second wagon(my first was a 93) yeah, the engine had a head gasket problem [covered by warrantee] and the tranny blew at 97 thou. it is always maintained on proper intervals, and after almost 7 years and 104,000 miles, it still looks great dispite being outdoors all these years and not a speck of rust! still runs and drives well on the open highway.