Used 1996 Ford Taurus LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Solid Piece of Metal
By bmoreravens

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this in 2013 with only 46,000 miles on it for only $2,000. Needed $500 worth of work to pass inspection, which had to do with the front stabilizing rods. This car is extremely reliable, although at times the transmission slams when going from park to reverse because of its high idle function. Had to put another $200 in a few months after purchase to repair ruptured brake line. Starts right up and has a really great hum to it. I get better gas mileage than its rated for, about 22mpg combined compared to the 18 or so its rated for, but I drive gently.

Favorite Features

Heated mirrors and lumbar support are a real bonus. Duratec engine is very well built.

Suggested Improvements

Needs an option for inside air when using the fan. I have a real issue with exhaust fumes coming right through the vents when I have the fan on (unless it's Max AC option) and I'm at a stop so the exhaust blows to where the intake is. Transmission slams into reverse, mainly due to the high idle the powerful engine has.

Best car I ever had!
By Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

First I have to say this car was well taken care of by the previous owner. I've had it for 3 years now and not an ounce of trouble except a flat tire once. I feel safe behind the wheel. It's a heavy car and holds the road good. Everything in it is still working perfectly. Electric windows and everything else. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful car. I'm 80 years old and believe me I've driven almost everything during my lifetime.

Favorite Features

Electric windows and automatic locks. But really like everything else including trunk size.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about Fords is the appearance. They should modernize the look. This model is excellent. I would not buy a cheaper model.

Constant work, take the bus 1st, I did.
By Kelly

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Was nice at 1st. Owned 3 years, only 91K miles on it, had new brakes 2x, temp thermometer gave out, gas lock which took paying 2x $1,000 for dealership to tell me I was "puttin the wrong gas in", swithed the gas like a smarty pants and STILL had the problem. Steering wheel needs to be parked straight or locks & won't start. Gear shifter gave out, all in 1 year, my car has been towed 7x, never ridden a bus in my life until I owned this car. Thought it would be reliable for college, boy was I wrong. Nothing but problems and ridin the bus constantly. Poorly built, car overheats still when idling at lights or slowing down. NEVER will buy Ford again. VERY bad car, not reliable at all.

Favorite Features

I liked the interior and roominess. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Focus more on the engine than the sleekness of it. The radiator is under the engine and takes 5 hrs to get to to replace. Make the car not overheat, no gas lock or lines/hoses looked at. I'll never buy Ford again because of this experience. Sad I had to pay out of pocket over $5k for only 91k miles.

96 Taurus LX
By af

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The Duratec engine has more than enough power (the response is amazing when you put the hammer down), and the ride is very smooth, and the seats are very supportive and comfortable on a long drive. Being tall, this car fits me well. Unlike similar Japanese competitors, this car actually feels like it has substance to it. The steering is tight, the 4-wheel disc brakes are powerful and the doors close nicely. It's well built. The controls are well placed, and the standard casette non-JBL stereo is great. I don't know why people hate these cars so much. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. No problems so far...knock on wood.

Favorite Features

Stereo, comfort, power. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Make the spark plugs easier to change and add a CD player

First, and Last, Taurus
By XTREMEBIKER278

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this as my first car in may of 04 with 107k miles. Two years later, I had to junk it because it was not worth fixing this car every 2 or 3 months. It really is a shame too, because the interior design was amazing back in the day, and still is. I loved the nice touches such as digital climate controls. The '96 Taurus looked a little goofy compared to the previous gen, I got used to it and loved it eventually. The car was very roomy and comfortable, and easily seated 5, even 6 people. However, after spending $4k in repairs, and my mom doing the same for her '98 Sable, we moved on

Favorite Features

Interior, performance, and features literally eclipsed its German and Japanese competitors for a long time. It really was an amazing car back in the day. Roomy, fast, rear air vents, split fold rear seats, allow wheels, power everything with remote, amazing 7 speaker JBL sound system!

Suggested Improvements

Ford, build better engines and transmissions. Gas mileage was horrible. Needs to be more reliable.