1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Solid Piece of Metal
By bmoreravens on 02/15/14 13:01 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this in 2013 with only 46,000 miles on it for only $2,000. Needed $500 worth of work to pass inspection, which had to do with the front stabilizing rods. This car is extremely reliable, although at times the transmission slams when going from park to reverse because of its high idle function. Had to put another $200 in a few months after purchase to repair ruptured brake line. Starts right up and has a really great hum to it. I get better gas mileage than its rated for, about 22mpg combined compared to the 18 or so its rated for, but I drive gently.

Best car I ever had!
By Ford Taurus on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

First I have to say this car was well taken care of by the previous owner. I've had it for 3 years now and not an ounce of trouble except a flat tire once. I feel safe behind the wheel. It's a heavy car and holds the road good. Everything in it is still working perfectly. Electric windows and everything else. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful car. I'm 80 years old and believe me I've driven almost everything during my lifetime.

Constant work, take the bus 1st, I did.
By Kelly on 08/20/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Was nice at 1st. Owned 3 years, only 91K miles on it, had new brakes 2x, temp thermometer gave out, gas lock which took paying 2x $1,000 for dealership to tell me I was "puttin the wrong gas in", swithed the gas like a smarty pants and STILL had the problem. Steering wheel needs to be parked straight or locks & won't start. Gear shifter gave out, all in 1 year, my car has been towed 7x, never ridden a bus in my life until I owned this car. Thought it would be reliable for college, boy was I wrong. Nothing but problems and ridin the bus constantly. Poorly built, car overheats still when idling at lights or slowing down. NEVER will buy Ford again. VERY bad car, not reliable at all.

96 Taurus LX
By af on 07/04/09 07:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The Duratec engine has more than enough power (the response is amazing when you put the hammer down), and the ride is very smooth, and the seats are very supportive and comfortable on a long drive. Being tall, this car fits me well. Unlike similar Japanese competitors, this car actually feels like it has substance to it. The steering is tight, the 4-wheel disc brakes are powerful and the doors close nicely. It's well built. The controls are well placed, and the standard casette non-JBL stereo is great. I don't know why people hate these cars so much. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. No problems so far...knock on wood.

First, and Last, Taurus
By XTREMEBIKER278 on 05/14/07 02:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this as my first car in may of 04 with 107k miles. Two years later, I had to junk it because it was not worth fixing this car every 2 or 3 months. It really is a shame too, because the interior design was amazing back in the day, and still is. I loved the nice touches such as digital climate controls. The '96 Taurus looked a little goofy compared to the previous gen, I got used to it and loved it eventually. The car was very roomy and comfortable, and easily seated 5, even 6 people. However, after spending $4k in repairs, and my mom doing the same for her '98 Sable, we moved on

*sigh*
By blahblahblah on 03/20/07 09:42 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Well, I'm not too happy with my Taurus. Since I've owned it (7 months) the transmission has gone out twice, the brakes have gone out, and the starter has had to be replaced. I'm unsure if these problems are the faults of the previous owner or problems with the model, and I may never know. I guess I can't complain too much, as the car was a gift.

No worries
By maryann on 05/09/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

One owner, bought it for $15,000 in 96 and paid for it in two years, so it owes me nothing. Only problem, door handle at 75,000. Never used dealer for service, learned lesson with my earlier Honda. Have a great mechanic who taught me how to care for it. Change oil religiously at 3,000 and change transmission fluid in winter. Never in a garage. Great in snow & weather, even gotten up dirt roads. Cross country no problem. Boring, in that never worry driving and no payments while others busy paying for their new expensive cars. Husband's 03 saved his life in a head on at 50mph when belts & bags deployed. It was totaled, he was fine. Other car driver had leg & chest injuries. Replaced his with '04.

Very Good Family Sedan
By Chris on 05/04/06 14:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for 3 years. I purchased it with 112k, it now has 160k. Prior to me owning it was a rental car and work vehicle, and was involved in at least 2 accidents. 150k rear struts were replaced, 158k the original alternator replaced, 160k master brake cylinder. The DPFE sensor was replaced about 3 times, this causes the nagging check engine light 90% of the time. The 24v Duratec V6 is plenty powerful, and is still powerful compared to many newer vehicles. 0-60 is listed in the mid 8's, however I have seen it as low as 7. Highway acceleration is excellent, and even when compared to a 2000 and up BMW 328, Audio A6, Accord V6, it still hangs in the crowd.

Never again
By rocq on 08/09/05 14:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Didn't do my homework, Ford would not replace the pawl pin in the transmission because it was a month over even warranty though the car only had 30,000 kms at the time. Rack and pinion faulty, Ford would not fix. Transmission replaced for at 120,000 kms for $2,600, no warranty. Emission pump failed - $800. Have spent over $1,000 on AC repairs and going in again or maybe I will just call a scrap dealer instead.

9 years for the original owner
By Don on 04/26/05 21:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I still commute daily (70 miles) in my LX that I bought new in '96. It will turn 162,000 miles by May '05. The Duratec V6 still runs strong, the leather interior survived 2 kids and daily abuse and looks almost new. The car handles New England winter driving just fine and has never broken down on me. This one was built in Chicago. The brake pads & rotors wear quick but years of stop/go driving may have played a role. Overall - the car's been great.