1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

1996 Taurus Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Solid Piece of Metal
By bmoreravens

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this in 2013 with only 46,000 miles on it for only $2,000. Needed $500 worth of work to pass inspection, which had to do with the front stabilizing rods. This car is extremely reliable, although at times the transmission slams when going from park to reverse because of its high idle function. Had to put another $200 in a few months after purchase to repair ruptured brake line. Starts right up and has a really great hum to it. I get better gas mileage than its rated for, about 22mpg combined compared to the 18 or so its rated for, but I drive gently.

Favorite Features

Heated mirrors and lumbar support are a real bonus. Duratec engine is very well built.

Suggested Improvements

Needs an option for inside air when using the fan. I have a real issue with exhaust fumes coming right through the vents when I have the fan on (unless it's Max AC option) and I'm at a stop so the exhaust blows to where the intake is. Transmission slams into reverse, mainly due to the high idle the powerful engine has.

It Won't Die!
By xc6793

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally purchased by my dad in teh fall of 1996 (I was only in middle school, but I remember going with him to buy it). Since then, the car has been driven by my mom, my sister (took a lot of abuse, as she learned to drive in it), and finally me. I use it primarily as my second car, particularly to transport my big dogs back and forth to the park (hard to lift them into my suv). It has 217,000 miles and is still going on the original engine and transmission. Sure, it's definitely showing its age, but it amazes me how well this thing still drives. Also, I'm amazed at how many of these things (96-97 model years) I still see driving around.

210,000 and still going
By onedaddeo

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the car used, with 120,000 miles on it. I figure any car over 100,000 miles is going to need repairs eventually. A new transmission was the first major repair. then 2 alternators were replaced at $600 each. Then we found a oil seal leak was fouling the alternator. Then a couple of tranny line leaks, that I fixed. Front struts and rear springs. Then I replaces all the plastic tabs that hold the interior door panels on. Then I cleaned the air intake with brake cleaner. That was over 50,000 miles ago. Since then, no problems. the duratech engine keeps running, the ride is comfortable, and everything works at sub zero temps unlike my 2007 Honda. it was still cheaper than a car payment

Favorite Features

Good in the snow, roomy, great for the family, nice ride, an engine that doesn't quit. all electronics, and engine starts in sub zero temps. I still like the rounded streamlined design, in the age of "box" cars. power driver seat, temperature climate control, heated mirrors, cruise on the steering wheel, jump seat for kids in the rear, great cargo capacity, good lines of site. 200hp engine that chirps tire in 2nd gear (if you floor it) 18 city and 24+mpg highway

Suggested Improvements

placement of the alternator, and AC, gets fouled when oil pan gasket leaks (common problem on all Taurus) I have no real repair complaints, for a car that was designed to go about 120,000 150,000 miles.

I loved this car.
By jimandsil

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Taurus in 2003 with 65 K on it. I paid $3500 for it. I had it up to 200K and it was still running great. Replaced the normal stuff like brakes, a radiator, oil sending unit. Had to replace valve cover gaskets but that is about it other than standard maintenance for 8 years. I got rear ended and because of the age it was totaled. Sorry to see it go. On average I put about $300 to $500 into it. I loved this car even though the seats hurt my back but I cut out a piece of foam for back support. It's not stylish or cool but what was really cool was the total cost of ownership which is the most important to me. I just bought a 2003 Taurus SES. I hope it's half as good as my 96.

My first car
By Christian

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 1996 Ford Taurus GL. I bought it with 96,825 miles on it and now it has 114,000 miles on it the only problems with it i have had are the normal Taurus problems as in I had to put new brakes and brake lines on it which was about time because they where the original 1996 brake lines when they went. It drives like a dream and still has it's get up and go.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior design and huge trunk cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions, better brake design.

Best car I ever had!
By Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

First I have to say this car was well taken care of by the previous owner. I've had it for 3 years now and not an ounce of trouble except a flat tire once. I feel safe behind the wheel. It's a heavy car and holds the road good. Everything in it is still working perfectly. Electric windows and everything else. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful car. I'm 80 years old and believe me I've driven almost everything during my lifetime.

Favorite Features

Electric windows and automatic locks. But really like everything else including trunk size.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about Fords is the appearance. They should modernize the look. This model is excellent. I would not buy a cheaper model.

Constant work, take the bus 1st, I did.
By Kelly

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Was nice at 1st. Owned 3 years, only 91K miles on it, had new brakes 2x, temp thermometer gave out, gas lock which took paying 2x $1,000 for dealership to tell me I was "puttin the wrong gas in", swithed the gas like a smarty pants and STILL had the problem. Steering wheel needs to be parked straight or locks & won't start. Gear shifter gave out, all in 1 year, my car has been towed 7x, never ridden a bus in my life until I owned this car. Thought it would be reliable for college, boy was I wrong. Nothing but problems and ridin the bus constantly. Poorly built, car overheats still when idling at lights or slowing down. NEVER will buy Ford again. VERY bad car, not reliable at all.

Favorite Features

I liked the interior and roominess. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Focus more on the engine than the sleekness of it. The radiator is under the engine and takes 5 hrs to get to to replace. Make the car not overheat, no gas lock or lines/hoses looked at. I'll never buy Ford again because of this experience. Sad I had to pay out of pocket over $5k for only 91k miles.

Junk
By jf

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Owning this car has been a huge disappointment. The comfortable interior is deceiving because everything else about it is junk. It pays to do your research. I didn't and I've had the same problems many other people encounter. Transmission went at 150k, air conditioning went before that, interior panels kept falling off, leaks at radiator and frost plug which is expensive to fix since it's hard to reach, coolant reservoir burst, faulty water pump, sensors what's next? I'll never buy a Ford again.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable, liked all the cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Build something durable!

96 Taurus LX
By af

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The Duratec engine has more than enough power (the response is amazing when you put the hammer down), and the ride is very smooth, and the seats are very supportive and comfortable on a long drive. Being tall, this car fits me well. Unlike similar Japanese competitors, this car actually feels like it has substance to it. The steering is tight, the 4-wheel disc brakes are powerful and the doors close nicely. It's well built. The controls are well placed, and the standard casette non-JBL stereo is great. I don't know why people hate these cars so much. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. No problems so far...knock on wood.

Favorite Features

Stereo, comfort, power. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Make the spark plugs easier to change and add a CD player

darn, darn, darn
By Alilly

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

okay..so i purchased this car (which was my first one) last june with 80,000 miles on it...im not sure how many was on there when the whole car went up on me but it jusat did in febuary...7 months and each month after i brought it, it gave me problems from the cadilldic converter to the strut peices..u name it, it had a problem! the inside of the car is great i loved the cloth seats, it was very roomy and the design was cool but the car itself stinks really bad...ford...every ford stands up to its name FIX OR REPAIR DAILY i will never EVER purchase a ford again...such a headache...glad its gone!

Favorite Features

the interior loved the room on the inside...could fit my whole dorm room in the backseat! lol favorite thing ever was the motor going up on me lol bye bye ford

Suggested Improvements

everything electrical, or that had a motor, transmission...u name it