1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Great used car purchase
By Taurus Driver on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I was looking for an affordable used car, and I ended up looking at a Silver taurus SE with all the options. The great thing is that Taurus' are so popular that you can find one easily and cheaply. They are dependable. I haven't had any major problems. The AC is awesome and so is the driving stability. Can't say the same about the brakes. Even with all new brakes, this heavy car brakes slowly. Its a great travel car for 4 or even 5 people. Its design is so bland that it still fits in with todays models, so you won't feel like your driving an older car! I love my Taurus. It has over 150K on it and looks like it could go for 200K.

Very good buy
By Connor54 on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car two years ago with a salvage title - it had been totaled. Milage was low, the price was right, and I needed a car. I figured I'd get a year of commuting out of it. Not only have I gotten my year, this is the car we use as our main vehicle. Our other 1995 Taurus is the wife's car which we bought the year before. Both cars have served well. They are not exciting but we can count on them. Gas Milage is not bad 24 general, 32 highway cruising. The only major expense so far has been the odometers and cables. If the odometer goes - replace the cable at the same time. Also, change transmission fluid at 40,000 or so.

mixed review
By jericson on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

As far as its reliabilty and performance it has much to be desired. While on vacation, about 500 miles from home the ignition module went out and left us stranded. (there were lawsuits with Ford over this problem-some families were killed when this happened to them) Many other times, not far from home, especially on warm days I would get stranded after driving a relatively short distance, turning the car off. When I would try to start the car up again it would not start-but hours later it would start. After Ford put out a bulletin regarding this problem (fuel pump) we had that replaced.

yessssss
By andrew the builder on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

this was the best car ever except for the ketchup stains

SECRET RECALL ON ENGINE
By Buyer's Regret on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

There's a "secret recall" on this engine. In other words, when your head gasket blows, and it probably will, you have to know about the SECRET recall in order to get a dealership to replace the entire engine for free. Ford won't tell you about this; you have to find out the way I did -- have the problem, then do research, then inform your dealership. Don't buy this car.

1995 Taurus LX Wagon
By Stape on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

There have been a few reliabilty issues including two alternators, the air conditioning compressor and the radiator. The motor does not burn a drop of oil. I have seen a lot of bad press on the transmission so, I am getting nervous. The ABS system performs flawlessly. I like the fact that it also has rear disc brakes (an option on the sedan). There was a problem with a plugged catalytic convertor at 50,000 miles, but Ford of Canada covered half the cost. I replaced the struts and shocks at 80,000 miles to improve the ride. The 3.0 liter is the better choice than the 3.8. Better fuel economy and better reliability.

Awesome power, sub-par reliability
By antistate7 on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I agree with all enthusiasm expressed for the SHO's performance. However, watch out. My '95 held up admirably until 2002. Then I got socked with numerous expensive repairs, over $1000 each. The Yamaha engine is bullet- proof, but the Ford parts gave me significant trouble. I broke down twice in two months.

SHOcerely
By Steuart on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO was an excellent car. It is too bad that newer comparable versions do not exist. My husband and I love our SHO; however, we have had our fair, or more than fair, share of problems. Our SHO has 106,000 miles and has provided us with a few headaches. Ford is not well known for reliability. Unless the SHO is replaced with something comparable we opt not to buy Ford for in the future.

a good good car
By Azaleosis13 on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car(3.8 L) for 8 years. After the head gasket recall mess (took 3 tries)a fuel injector replacement (due to leaking head gasket) and new motor mounts, it has been a commuter (30 mi/day). Given the mechanical history, I was test-driving replacements for this car, but 500 miles of highway driving have changed my opinion. This car's back seat exceeds the comfort of anything I have test-driven so far. I will keep this car for at least two more years, and if there's a new transmission required during that time, so be it. My only regret is that I don't have the station wagon.

so far so good
By r_erickson on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Picked up the tauras from an older lady with 75k, currently have a 100k. She broke it in gently, and I've been driving it like a racecar. No major probs other than the rear power windows don't function. Horror stories about tranny failures after 100k make me a little leary, especially with the hard driving I give it. I'm staying on top of preventive maintenance and its never hiccupped yet.