Used 1995 Ford Taurus GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Always runs, but always has many problems
By rambo76098

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car which I bought with 112,000 miles on it, has about 119,000 in 5 months and since then I had to flush all fluids, change stereo, previous owner blew all speakers, new exhaust, master cyllinder and brake booster. Car now needs complete rear brake system overhaul, a radiator, door seals, plugs and wires, headlight covers (sun damaged plastic), a door lock motor, headlight and seatbelt dinger, a battery, tires, and soon will need rotors and pads in front as well as alternator, fuel, water and power steering pump acting up. Car has always started but does not ever function right. Gas mileage is horrible.

Favorite Features

Cheap, runs, safety in a crash, somewhat comfortable even for a 6'6" guy, relatively good torque for a 3L, engine never dies although everything else will.

Suggested Improvements

Well some quality would be nice, Ford can't even make my speedometer be correct; cops checked it for me, inconsistent under 40 MPH. Engine fans have 5 recalls for causing engine to catch on fire. Transmission that don't clunk and miss gears, decent gas milage for a small engine (about 17-19 mpg even on highway).

This was my baby
By sheesha

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Ford Taurus very slightly used in 1995, from a rental car agency. I was 19, and this car was awesome. Lots of power under the hood, all the nice power features, roomy for friends, and a nice size trunk. It's now 2004, I'm 28, and ready for a change. This car has been extremely reliable, until this year. Before now, I never ran into any problems, and I got my money's worth at $10,000, 9 years ago. This year I've put at least $1200 in brakes, new radiator, and a battery. Not bad, since it's only needed minor work a few times in the past. I think it would be a reliable used car for others, and could last quite a bit longer.

Favorite Features

Power everything, roominess, power under the hood and pick-up. She's not as good as it used to be, I can feel the age catching up to her. But she has been an awesome car.

loved until recently
By pdl2

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

bought used in 97 with 36k on it. currently 144k. until recently I loved it. the speedometer went out around 50k...works up to around 65mph. no problems till 2002 fuel pump went out. however just replaced radiator, individual window switches went out several months ago...and when it shifts into second gear...sometimes I hear a scraping sound. I had hoped with it's performance initially it would last longer....as Im startign to look for another car now. Hoping to get it traded in before transmission goes out. I would still buy another if I could find low mileagle. love the 3.0 engine though I have a rear seal that is leaking

Favorite Features

comfort, interior design lots of space

Suggested Improvements

a little to late....but speedometer cup holder fuel mileage

Great first car
By drewdog

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought one privately for my last year of college (w/ 68k mi). Previous owner left some mods on it that probably helped out performance. Only had to replace fan belt during the 2 semesters, then had to replace break pads a year later. Other than that, no major problems. Handles great, excellent mileage (used to get like 30 mpg on long trips), lots of space (passenger and trunk), lots of power for only 145 ponies. bottom line: Excellent first car, but look elsewhere if you're settled and can afford it....

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, performance, mileage, low price.

Suggested Improvements

Didn't seem to be most reliable vehicle, but that's been improved upon since then.

Nothing Fancy, Gets The Job Done
By SteelersFANinMA

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 1996 with 60k/mi., 8 yrs. later it has 196,500mi. & burns no oil. Other than regular maintenance this car NEVER failed me until the summer of 2003. I then had to replace the ORIGINAL battery, starter, muffler, A/C unit, CCRM module and most recently the oil pan. At this point the car could use some new struts and the odometer recently started to float, but stays near the actual mph. Since the car has been paid off for a few years I'd say the cost of upkeep is still cheaper than having a car payment. Overall I would say that this is a highly reliable and easy to maintain vehicle that I would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

reliable, smooth, comfortable, roomy, easy to maintain

Suggested Improvements

odometer, wind noise, better power windows, sound system