Used 1995 Ford Taurus GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Do Not Buy This Car!
By jemone2005

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My wife parents bought this car for us because our 1994 Cavalier(which was a good car) got wrecked and we were having hard times. I told them not to do it! They paid $3000 for it. The check engine light came on after my wife got it home that same day. Where do I begin with the problems? Broken speedometer, cloudy headlights, multiple emission problems (catalytic converter costs $450+installation in 2004!), bad transmission, poor gas mileage, cheaply made seals so something always leaks. I know it is 2006, so if you re looking for a cheap secondary car do not buy this one. The reason people are selling Tauruses for a song with very little miles is because they want to get it out of the driveway.

Favorite Features

The radio I installed. The fact that I am getting rid of it soon.

Suggested Improvements

Everything! In 2 1/2 years have spent over $4k trying to keep it going. STAY AWAY.

Money was worth it
By larieaux

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I actually bought this car for $1300 from a gas station with lots of hidden problems with it. About a week after purchase my car wouldn't start because my starter had died then that same day after getting it fixed my car had to be towed again because I had blown fuses. After that the car was loud but it ran great. When i finally gathered up enough to get the exhaust work done I found out that I had no catalytic converters. This was after I replaced the rear struts and sway bar links and battery. Then I found out I had a nasty leak in the main transmission seal which possessed me to sell it after everything we had been through together. but over all that the car got me where I needed to be.

Favorite Features

Interior I guess...maybe I don't have any.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission PLEASE! When I bought the car it already had a 1 year old rebuilt one in it. Now it's going again?

weak performance
By mad dog

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Transmission always clunked or slipped. Rebuilt one is better. Small things always break; interior door handles, speedometer, power door locks, etc. Poor gas mileage and alignment needs adjusting annually.

Favorite Features

The engine has enough power to handle highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the transmission. The factory installed one is junk.

Not bad but not good
By rambo76098

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car is a decent car but is not good at anything. It is somewhat comfortable but has bad gas milage, can go fast easily but takes a while, works usually but often will have many minor problems, drives ok but often rattles, shakes, vibrates, Braking system stinks as i have replaced entire rear system and it has broken again. Car has good trunk room but seats don't fold down. Transmision occassionally clunks and misses shifts, etc. Overall it's not a bad car, however usually a car has one thing it is good at; stopping, going, gas economy, comfort, quietness, or something else, but this car is just mediocre at all of those things.

Favorite Features

Room enough for a 6'6" guy. Has never completely died except for belt and battery. I like the stereo, fog lights, remote starter and subwoofers that I installed.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders - who puts them above the radio? Better radio placement, better overall quality. speedometer that doesn't break, headlight covers that dont turn yellow from sun damage, and better fuel economy and power.

She's been a good girl
By M.J. Snyder

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my green '95 at the dealership I worked at in college. We went back and forth from Penn State a lot and she has always been good. I have 16" wheels from a 2002, and clear headlights from an LX, big improvement; she looks great, minimal problems (starter, radiator, little trim pieces). I lease a 2004 Sable but won't give up the '95, she handles great, decent power, and looks new as can be; it is one of the best looking '95's you'll see running around. Bought it with 45,000 miles from my uncle, now has about 85,000. I just put in good Pioneer Speakers and Sony Headunit, the stereo sounds better than my Sable. I LOVE HER!

Favorite Features

Great handling, easy to manuever, I love the style, much better than the '96 bubble, decent power but awesome 28 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

3.0 Vulcan could use more low end power, transmission a little more refined (Camry's of the time were smooth) but I still love her.