Used 1995 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great First Car
By JonFromSiouxCity

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my '95 Taurus GL in the summer of 2005 since the '93 Aerostar I had caught fire. The price was right but I wasn't sure about it at first. It seemed like a big car and wasn't the "cool" thing to drive. But it grew on my pretty quick. I've been in several accidents in the time I've had it (nicknamed her Doris) and I've walked away from every one. It's big enough to comfortably carry 6 people at a time, which I love. The ride and handling are incredible for a car of it's age. The tranny doesn't shift real smooth, however. One problem has also been some of the interior amenities, like the trunk and gas release mechanisms don't work and the power seat gives me trouble once in a while.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfy, good handling, strong heat/AC, lots of interior and cargo room, good ride, does well in wet and snowy comditions. The engine! If you keep up the maintenance this car will run forever!

Suggested Improvements

The door panels are cheap. I have mine siliconed on currently. The fuel economy in my Taurus hasn't been great. I average 17-19 mpg with mixed driving and get about 23-25 on long interstate trips. I plan on trading it for a Mazda6 hatchback soon. But I fear a day will come when I will miss this car!

1995 Ford Taurus GL 6 cy 3.8 ltr engine
By Donna Richmond

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car is the best car we have ever had! The transmission just recently won't shift out of gear and will only go 25 miles per hour, with over 480,000 miles on it! We had the first transmission replaced at 40,000 miles under warranty and has rode fine ever since. It has had regular maintenence plus, a radiator, water and fuel pump, along with a couple of electric starters since we first got it as a program car with 8,000 miles on it. It is great driving across the country as well as around town. It hugs the curves of a windy road wonderfully, is smooth on a gravel road, and great in rain or snow. It is an extremely reliable car.

Favorite Features

Extremely reliable, great value for the money, very comfortable seating for 4-5 adults. Great family car, quick accleration, great handling in curves and rain/snow, deep trunk storage, great safe family or older person's car, good gas mileage for size of 6, 3.8 ltr eng.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, better cup holders, better ac/heater vents in back

money trap
By deryk

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a year ago it had 120,000 miles on it since I got it I've had to replace all the struts all the brakes, rear main seal, radiator thermostat, water pump, a/c hose assym, power steering pump, and brake pedal switch. And the trans is starting to slip obscenely. I've put more into the car then I paid for it which was 700 dollars. I got it from an old lady who was the original owner and had it maintained by dealership. All in all this car sucks and I wish I had the money to get a truck.

Favorite Features

it starts right up

Suggested Improvements

drivetrain and liquids need to stop leaking

I discovered why it was so cheap
By eandatoo

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1999 from a Toyota dealer as one of their trade-ins. It was only four years old at the time. Almost immediately, it started having problems. The electric fan for the radiater failed. The power steering leaked. The ignition failed. We had to replace the starter four times! The front struts are failing. That's just a few items among several others.This car has left us stranded several times. It cost us tons in rapairs, not to mention the missed work from the down time. Only later did we learn from different sources that the '95 was the worse year for the Taurus. Steer clear of this one, folks!

Favorite Features

Rides comfortably (when it's running). Has good power and good a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more reliable. Stop cutting corners

Great first car, too many problems
By It could be better

1995 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I only had it for 2 months and already I need to replace the struts, starter, and brakes. The previous owner said he had problems from day 1 when he bought it brand new. I only paid $350 for it so I am getting my money's worth but the body does not look bad and the motor is quiet and it's fuel efficient

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, comfortable bucket seats

Suggested Improvements

The styling is quite bland compared to other cars of that year, but Ford has always been bland