Used 1995 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Poor Transmission Life Expectancy
By Pete

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 44,600 mi on it. At 77,000 MI The transmission failed completely (Trans fluid not burned or discolored) and without any warning. I was driving at a steady 45 MPH and when I stepped on the gas the engine rpm increased, but the car didn't accelerate. After coasting to the side of the road, I found that the car wouldn't move in any gear. I spent $2400.00 on towing, and a trans rebuild. I am not impressed with this car. It reminds me of the junk GM built in the 70's. The trans shop reported that the splines were stripped from the main shaft. Also, the gas gauge only works sometimes. My 93 Pontiac Transport has 294,100 MI and no major repairs ever needed. (still runs well).

Once inside and underway, car is fairly comfortable. Air and heat work good.

Reliability of trans and gas gauge need improvement. Location of parking brake release lever is almost inaccessible when driver sits in car-needs to be relocated. Height of door opening needs to be about 2 in. taller-car is difficult for a tall person to get into or out of.

Got lucky
By Pleased

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It seems my Taurus will never die. 265,000 miles and going strong. Not a drop of oil burned or leaked. Have replaced some of the expected wear parts -usually before they broke down. always change oil at 3000 miles. replaced transmission at 230,000. some of the paint is beginning to fail and the interior plastic is becoming brittle and breaking.

Very dependable.

Better paint,

Good car for a Ford
By Jimbo

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Got it back in 2006, great car! Been in two accidents with it and worst i had was replacing a bumper and all the plastic stuff on the front end. Its a pretty tough car. I'm thinking of finding a sho version of the 3.0 L though and transmission could use some improvement. the interior is cheap, door panels falling off so they are screwed to door frame with sheet metal screws.

size of it. I love how the Taurus is a big car since people don't see small cars any more.

Transmission, interior and sound system.

This car is a keeper!
By Duane

1995 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1995 Taurus in 2003, having been very impressed with the lumbar back support of a rental Taurus. The mileage was 57,500 - very low for an eight year old car. Within the first year, it developed a water leak and some other minor problems. Other than that, the car has performed nearly flawlessly since then with only routine maintenance.

Very comfortable for driving hours at a time without stopping. Good acceleration for passing on a two-lane highway. This car is a keeper! 29+ mpg at 60mph and burns as clean as a new car with 131k on the odometer.

Getting OLD
By Mom0f2Boys

1995 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

In the 9 years I have owned this car, I have had not had a lot of problems, thankfully. The M.P.G. was in the mid 30's, and everything worked great. Now, the plastic pieces from the heating vents, seat controls, and power window features are breaking. The M.P.G. is around 20 (if I am driving very carefully). The six cylinders are still peppy if you have to move the beast, but the turning radius is obnoxious. I have had better luck turning a big rig. Also, being that it is front wheel, you have to make sure to keep the tires rotated or you will burn through tires. The cup holder is so small that all it will fit is a child's size cup. No, your super cute Starbucks coffee will not fit.

I would have to say the layout is great. I love that everything stays in sight and visible. You don't have to bend down to adjust anything.

Where to start... 1. Tighten the turning radius. 2. Move the wiper blades a quarter inch to the right so the left side doesn't hit in a downpour. 3. Put a little better foam padding in the seats, it has no support whatsoever. 4. Distribute the weight in the motor a little better.