Used 1995 Ford Taurus SHO SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (14 reviews )

What an amazing car.
By ryan21288

1995 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This is my third SHO so I guess you could say im partial to them. My first was a 93 5spd, then i got a 93 Auto, and now i have a 95 Auto with 165k. The SHO is my car to take out on nice summer days. The yamaha motor is amazing and was well ahead of its time. I love the sound it makes too. Mine is fully loaded with Leather, JBL sound, moonroof, key less entry with keypad, etc. I haven't had any major problems with any of my SHO's although i have had to do the normal repairs. What really surprises me is the handling. Once you drive the car it doesn't feel so big. Its very nimble for its size.

Yamaha Motor, Comfy seats, Sleeper styling, Beautiful noise from the motor, The great looking intake manifold, Handling, Ride Quality, Keypad on the door.

Stronger Trans(mine still shifts fine at 165k but others have problems), Bigger brakes(easily fixed with the 96 upgrade), Heated seats would be nice.

Yamaha SHO's review
By Jason

1995 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO comes with a love/hate relationship. My '95 SHO has been a great car until my stupidity spun a rod bearing. The car is capable of beating supercars with a few modifications. The car takes very well to boost. On a stock motor with a Vortech T-trim supercharger, I produced 460hp. This car is not a great car for someone who does not have the knowledge, willingness to learn nor money to maintain it. Many of these cars have been beaten and show problems because of it (as with the case of my '92 SHO). On the flip- side, it has honed my skills quite well. This is definitely an enthusiasts car. Somehow I got hooked many years ago and I still have my SHO's, but have a Civic now too.

The Yamaha motor is a very well built motor than can handle some serious power when done right. I like the 'sleeper' effect as I can drive around virtually without being noticed (aside from the now ever-prevalent whistle from the Vortech T-trim and 3" exhaust).

Let Yamaha build the complete car, not just the engine. Stock brakes are not enough for a 3,300+ lbs car. Stock suspension provides dangerous under- steer. Wider stock rims. Smoother shifting manual transmission. Locate the oil filter somewhere away from where it can drip on the starter.

Great Value
By 95SHO

1995 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The car has been very reliable with only minor troubles since I bought it; cam sensor, starter and heater door control. Parts are not hard to find if you use the internet for your searches. Some dealers still have plenty of parts. The Yamaha engine is fantastic, simply the best in any vehicle I've had to date. Keep up with the maintenance and the car will last a long time.

Yamaha engine.

Brake upgrades; the rotors tend to warp. Get a good cross-drilled rotor and that problem will go away.

Don's Review
By duffs62

1995 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The car is expensive to maintain, but then again, the '95s are now 9 years old. With well over 100,000 miles, the only major problems I've had are the starters going out. I'm on my third one. I'll be looking to replace the show in a year or two, and will be sad to see it go. I'll most likely be moving towards the up and coming imports that are looking good these days. Thank goodness they still put stick shifts in their mid-size cars. I love the styling. It's 9 years old and stands out from the newer cars that have similar performance.

The SHO is great with Eibach springs and Tokico struts. They make the car handle like it's on rails. And the SHO Shop Y-pipe and Dynomax cat-back exhaust is the best investment as it gives a nice sound to the SHO.

Ford needs to get some guts back and put something out there to compete with Acura and Infinity. The Lincoln LS is just to expensive, even compared with the new Acura TL. Use that platform, and build something that offers the imports some real competition.

Green Machine
By ME710350

1995 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This car should have been more Mech friendly, and maybe my mech. will like to work on it.

P O W E R