1994 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Short range, poor shifting troublemaker
By ToddfromKY on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

12 gallons of fuel and 20 mpg to make this the poorest range of any vehicle I have owned. These won't go over 50,000 mils on a transmission. While it is roomy and rides well, it is noisy and the poor fit of interior components makes for lots of squeaks and rattles. Buy it cheap, drive it hard, and sell it before it needs a transmission.

Taurus Reborn at a price. Weak Trany
By First Taurus on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it 01/99 with 42,000 miles and was well maintained previously. Water pump stated squealing 11/99, and of course it was two weeks after the 1 year waranty of the water pump replaced by the previous owner. Dealer wouldn't honor the waranty. Had problems with dealership ongoing. 01/00 - transmission had to be rebuilt at about 60,000 miles at over $1400. Common Taurus problem. Later Replaced the oil pan gasket (another common Taurus problem at $300). Over the last year and a half, no problems and has been reliable, although AC making noises.

kickass car
By Randye on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

it was the sweetest car in the world.

Great Ride
By Knoby on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

A "Sleeper". For sure. Not bad from the lights either. I like to see the looks from muscle car drivers, when I do a “gotcha” on them at the lights. Just getting ready to do a 60,000 mile service along with upgraded exhaust system (reads more power) and a few other goodies, looking for about 35 – 40 hp. Increase (reads more fun).

Blown head gasket, etc.
By Trading it in on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

1st year: Dealership ripped me off: water pump, fuel pump, 2 starters (defective parts), keyless entry DOA, various hoses and the coin holder is holding the previous owners pennies hostage. Dealership had it longer than I did the first month. 2nd year: Since then: replaced radiator, 1 starter, replaced 1 brake light, a/c died, radio is losing it too, blown head gasket and 2 other leaks, at least one of us has carbon monoxide poisening, tranny is leaking, 6 mn. old radiator leaking. Dealership has it now and for me to repair it will turn it upside down! Consumer reports did not say anything about a defective head gasket!

I'm ready for a new one
By snellville on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 94 taurus in 97 with 45,000 miles on her, I fell in love with her from day 1. From the smooth and extremely powerful 3.0 liter v6 to her beautiful looks on the outside I can't decide which is better. Other similiar cars such as the mercury sable are slower than the taurus I've raced a few. Getting back to the title of my review, I can't wait to buy a new taurus, just think of all the advancements they must have made in 8 years to an almost already perfect car, it's definately gonna be my next car purchase since my 94 has over 100,000 miles on her with no major problems just routine maintence.

Piece of Junk!!!
By dissatisfied on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Transmission rehauled twice (43K and 93K). Head gasket bad at 42K. Air conditioning problems (twice). Engine mounts went bad 93K. Struts bad at 80K.

Piece of Junk!!!
By Dissatisfied on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Old Faithful
By LoveMyTaurus on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I learned to drive on my parents 1995 Ford Taurus GL and I loved the thing. It would take the abuse and ask for more. I bought my own 1994 LX this past February and I'm thrilled with it. I have a car with leather, sunroof, power everything, chrome wheels for a cheap price. I drive my taurus everyday and back and forth between NY and PA. I've driven it to SC and back loaded with luggage and passengers in 100 degree weather, no troubles. The only thing repaired on this vehicle was a transmission sensor.

Inexpensive, Reliable, and Bland.
By ehiser on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My Taurus was a real bargain; these cars have zero resale value and I got mine for only $1200. At 139,000 miles it still runs strong with no major problems. Taurus transaxles are notoriously bad and they have lots of little electrical problems, for example neither rear power window works on mine. But I still say they make a fine daily driver for the thrifty.