Used 1994 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Problems with Taurus
By RJ

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my folks with just over 50k miles. Before I drove it home I had oil/filter service, tranny filter/oil changed and coolant flushed. In Medford OR as I started to move after a red light the tranny would not work. The tech told me a frequent problem beteen 50/60k. cost $2k. Then the A/C compressor quit, the cruise control works sometimes. Some minor oil and coolant leaks and back up light fussing. This car has been well maintained since being purchased new. I have never had this many problems with a car, half GM products and half Ford.

16 gal gas tank, large trunk space. Hood that stays open with out using a rod. Comfortable ride. Decent power. Radio controls on the dash.

A better oiling system for the tranny and better door seals that do not shrink and let in the whistles

Still Ticking
By Lisa N

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My Taurus has 198k and it is still running strong. I only have minor problems with it. The engine is still strong, though I do need to replace the transmission gasket soon. I think with the amount of miles on the engine it should not be running this smoothly. The only things I've bought since I got it were the average things that you always have to fix on any car.

Trunk space because I can fit a huge infant stroller and a months worth of groceries in there at the same time, cruise on the wheel, and with road trips I don't have to keep stopping for gas.

The way the engine compartment was designed, it's hard to get to things like the belt without taking other stuff off.

Green SHO
By Green SHO

1994 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 10 years and have nothing but praise for this vehicle. With a 5-speed and the Yamaha 3.2, there is nothing that I can't do if there is a need and still get 22 city/26 highway, in these days of $3 gas. New clutch assembly, new valve cover/manifold gaskets and new wires, but this is the only expenses I've had besides maintenance - oil/filters, tires (3 sets), batteries and belts. I will have to sell soon though and will miss this car as soon as it's gone.

5-speed, leather upholstery, power seats and lots of seating space.

Nothing.

keep'n it till it dies; RIP
By mellowdude

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

The color caught my eye and since taking it for a test drive I was hooked! Nice car ... reliable and safe even if it's just going to work and back and errands. The only problem was the shifter cable that snapped from the shifter lever between the seats - not the easiest thing to replace as air ducts were in the way.

Cruise control on the steering wheel and visibility around vehicle is excellent.

A roomier engine compartment wouldn't hurt ... sometimes it's a real tight squeeze to get to the spark plugs and headlight bulbs.

Great Car
By RedSho

1994 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

What a great fast car! This thing just flies and my gas mileage was always in the low 20's. At idle, you can barely tell the engine is on. Few things in the world sound better than the secondaries opening at 4000 rpms. If this car was a 5 speed instead of an auto, I would never get rid of it. I love it. Of all the reviews that I've seen, people complain about the cost of parts and or maintaining the car but this car was no more expensive to me than any other. I did the routine maintenance; oil and other fluids and the car always took care of me. For them still to be on the road is outstanding, considering they're performance cars with high revving motors. Great car!

Yamaha motor, of course. Great leather seats, room for a family and still lots of go! Great car to ride on the highway.

A stronger automatic tranny would have been great. Better paint.