1994 Ford Taurus LX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1994 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

nice but unreliable
By AlexVishnu

1994 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

purchased used with only 57K. Very roomy and comfortable. Steering and suspension built excellent for long interstae rides - the driver does not tired, the front passanger can read or sleep. Therefore poor handling on twisty mountain roads: you need to react earier than usual, but I got used to it. I didn't like the seats. but again no seat is comfortable for everyone, my wife liked it. Head gusket failed at 63K, a disgusting knock in the engine emerged soon after that. Starter died at 75K. Now (98K) there is a problems with either driveaxle or differential. 18-21 MPG city, 22-26 highway. Average for 6 cyl in 94

Favorite Features

excellent interstride ride, roomy excellent brakes (my T has ABS) I heard they did improve the reliability. If so, I'll by a new one.

Suggested Improvements

my boss, a colleague and three friends of mine had Tauruses 91-95 (both 3.0 and 3.8). Out of 6, 3 were pretty reliable and 3 gave lots of problems and made it to junkyard before 100K. It's a lottery

1994 Taurus Wagon Review
By bthbee

1994 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car is comfortable to ride in. It can accommodate up to 8 people with the foldout back seat. Things that tend to break are more unusual. Starter motor and ignition switch, window buttons,windshield wiper motor. We did have to have the engine replaced under warranty because of a drip from the oil compartment. I like the car and find that it is reliable. I'd buy the car again. I have to say I don't like the redesign as much.

Favorite Features

Extra seat accommendation in the back. Fold-down seats to carry stuff. Comfort, safety rating.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Better electrical system. Better sharing by Ford of their mechanical information so repairs can be done outside of the dealership.

Blown head gasket, etc.
By Trading it in

1994 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

1st year: Dealership ripped me off: water pump, fuel pump, 2 starters (defective parts), keyless entry DOA, various hoses and the coin holder is holding the previous owners pennies hostage. Dealership had it longer than I did the first month. 2nd year: Since then: replaced radiator, 1 starter, replaced 1 brake light, a/c died, radio is losing it too, blown head gasket and 2 other leaks, at least one of us has carbon monoxide poisening, tranny is leaking, 6 mn. old radiator leaking. Dealership has it now and for me to repair it will turn it upside down! Consumer reports did not say anything about a defective head gasket!

Favorite Features

Good stuff: I love my big green machine! It's an easy ride, scares the hell out of people when I drive up behind them or pass them, great for camping and long haul trips and is great for hauling anything. I hate that I have to give it up to trade in for a car with less defects.

Suggested Improvements

For whatever reason this 94 model has several EXPENSIVE and repetitive defects in parts: fuel pump and water pump, starters, head gasket and radiator. Even the replacements parts are defective! I bought at 53,000 and am ending it at 86,000 as a trade in.