1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1994 Taurus Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (16 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

I Love/Hate my SHO
By who

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

this cars performance is simply insane, especially when you punch it from a dead stop and let it rev to the 7k rpm redline, it sounds amazing and pushes you back in your seat, handling is good to, the yamaha engine looks beautiful as well, yet in many ways it has been crap, ive gone through 2 transmissions in 2 years, the AC compressor pulley bearing snapped one day on my way home from school, exhaust system is shot, rear springs are broken, the door locks are both broken, front alignment is off, its had an engine leak for a long time, for some reason its always low on coolant even though it has a new water pump in it, but this car has NEVER failed to start up, even in -25 degree weather

Favorite Features

ENGINE, 225 hp, but it feels like 280 hp, visibility, handling, comfortable leather seats, roomy, sound, interstate driving, looks, big trunk

Suggested Improvements

reliability, though i think the person i bought it from beat the crap out of it, and thats why its so bad but either way im afraid to drive it further than 15 miles away from home, only one cup holder, transmission,

1994 SHO Good-Bad-Ugly
By Czar

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Overall, the best, most fun car I've ever had to drive. I have no complaints about the Yamaha engine. The combination of the exhaust and engine sound is a thing of beauty. Maintenance is/was expensive. I got 190,000+ miles on the original engine and tranny. I had a fair amount of problems with the electrical system, and thus the starter. I easily put at least 5 starters in this car within 12 years. I could never prove it, but I suspect a lot of the problems were related to a dealer installed Chapman alarm system. Worst things were, despite quarterly professional detailing, the paint started to flake and rust in 7 years. And interior (headliner and climate control buttons) rip/broke.

Favorite Features

Engine, Transmission, Exhaust (sound), Extremely comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

There is absolutely no excuse for a paint job not to hold up for 10 years, especially when the car was professionally detailed 4 times per year for the first 4 years of ownership, and at least once per year thereafter. Higher quality interior parts (climate control buttons, headliner, etc).

IT'S STILL RUNNING
By Suffolk

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I drove my husband's Taurus Sho last weekend and the odometer read 261,140 miles. It's still going after we have had trouble with a newer 1996 Jeep (dead now) and a 2004 Avalanche (having problems now).

Green SHO
By Green SHO

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 10 years and have nothing but praise for this vehicle. With a 5-speed and the Yamaha 3.2, there is nothing that I can't do if there is a need and still get 22 city/26 highway, in these days of $3 gas. New clutch assembly, new valve cover/manifold gaskets and new wires, but this is the only expenses I've had besides maintenance - oil/filters, tires (3 sets), batteries and belts. I will have to sell soon though and will miss this car as soon as it's gone.

Favorite Features

5-speed, leather upholstery, power seats and lots of seating space.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Great Car
By RedSho

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

What a great fast car! This thing just flies and my gas mileage was always in the low 20's. At idle, you can barely tell the engine is on. Few things in the world sound better than the secondaries opening at 4000 rpms. If this car was a 5 speed instead of an auto, I would never get rid of it. I love it. Of all the reviews that I've seen, people complain about the cost of parts and or maintaining the car but this car was no more expensive to me than any other. I did the routine maintenance; oil and other fluids and the car always took care of me. For them still to be on the road is outstanding, considering they're performance cars with high revving motors. Great car!

Favorite Features

Yamaha motor, of course. Great leather seats, room for a family and still lots of go! Great car to ride on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

A stronger automatic tranny would have been great. Better paint.

Cheap Fun....leave others in the dust
By db

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

EXCELLENT experience over the last 8 years. Only repairs were a new radiator and 3 clutches. The last being the "final" lesson. Got a Grizzly Racing clutch that I should have put in 8 years ago; the Ford clutches stink.

Favorite Features

Fast sleeper!

Suggested Improvements

Get underdrive pulleys and K&N air.

Stang Killer
By Dougie420

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I love this car so much. No sedan can compare to the raw, unyielding power of this four door muscle car. I get twenty miles to the gallon, AND can haul all my friends around rather comfortably. This car is the perfect blend of performance, sports car feel, luxury, and practicality, although I do agree with everyone else's reviews in that these cars are EXTREMELY expensive to fix. Believe me though, if you enjoy driving like I do, the expenses of upkeep pale in comparison to the amount of exileration you feel when you hear the roar of that freakishly powerful Yamaha engine.

Favorite Features

Yamaha powerplant, Mazda 5-speed, leather, JBL, dual exhaust, what's not to like?

Suggested Improvements

Ford should have let Yamaha build the whole car, because the engine is killer, but be weary of anything that came from a Ford manufacturing plant on the car, ie interior pieces, suspension components, etc.

1994 Ford Taurus SHO (red)
By JerryW

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I was the original owner. It has been a joy to drive and is a very practical car on top of it. I love the performance. The red color really stands out nicely.

Favorite Features

Acceleration from any speed is very enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

There is some wind noise at highway speeds.

I love my sho
By chasebarton

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Good quality and performance. I love it!

Favorite Features

The peppy engine, absolutely fun to drive, great sounding JBL stereo

my sho
By mr jones

1994 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

i think this vehicle is awesume

Favorite Features

awesume engine

Suggested Improvements

race suspension