Used 1994 Ford Taurus GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Stories the same one.
By ?

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I just bought a Taurus & am in a dispute to get my money back. the guy lied on the disclosure sheet but more important, I getting all the problems I'm hearing over & over in these reviews! Tranny, jerky shifting, thumping on taking off or shifting. Thing is, I like the car, really. Even though, as I've read here, the electric windows and locks leave something to be desired. I found the previous owner, who told me it has always knocked and shifted jerky, but you get used to it, and its been a great car, so I should have Arden fix the motor mount and ignore the rest and it'll be a good car for me. I'm 60, alone, no man to help me if I have car trouble. But I really like driving this car!

Favorite Features

Dash board radio controls pop open trunk

Suggested Improvements

Tranny windshield wipers electric system hate those pull down arms in the center of the front seat

Good car but trans problems
By john

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought the car in 2006 at precinct auto sales it only had 99,000 miles on it i fell in love with it. It was white it was fairy decent interior and exterior for being an older vehicle. As the months go by i started noticing the car would make a weird noise after a stop and then jump it was not bad at first though. It started getting worse then one day the transmission went out on a hill..... it would cost about 1500 to replace so i decided to get rid of it and the trans shop said it may not work...it went out about 11000 miles later...

Favorite Features

i loved the controls on the dashboard so i can change the stations without taking my eyes off the road, the interior was very comfy though.

Suggested Improvements

make transmissions that work

Bad used car
By ralph0722

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I lost my job and i had to let my new car go, so i bought a Taurus GL with 86k though will last me since only has 86k for a 1994 model. Wrong. 30 days later transmission died. spent 1300 to fix it. Lets see now what will go wrong next.

Favorite Features

Big comfy car. Big trunk. Good ride.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Quality overall. Window motors not working anymore. Radio died. Airbag light on. Don't trust the car to go long distances. Constant fear will leave me stranded.

Used Taurus GL
By Ralph

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought last month a used 94 Ford Taurus GL with 84k excelent condition for his age. Did a tune up, new tires, flushed coolant, new air/gas filters, gas treatment. The magic lasted 30 days. Transmision died 2 wks ago. Was bone dry, no idea how lost all the oil, i park my car in the driveway, no oil leaks, tune up was performed. I read postings on Taurus forums, almost all Taurus/Sable cars suffer from transmision problems. IDK how Ford could get away with Tauruses dying before 80k. And still survive. This is my first american car, always owned imports (had to let my new car go since i lost my job) though this Ford was gonna be a great used car. Bad choice. Engine is durable. Tranny crap.

Favorite Features

Strong reliable 3.0L engine. Big trunk. Good looks for his age. Comfy ride.

Suggested Improvements

Unreliable horrible transmision. 30 days after bought i'm stuck with a $1,300 repair bill for something that most likely will happen again soon. Poor quality interior. Low fuel economy.

Solid car
By Average driver

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at auction 3 years ago for $100. Best $100 dollars I ever spent. It had 150k miles when I bought it. Now has 185k. I had to replace oil pan, put new shocks on it, but runs great. I really didn't baby it either. I'm a fairly aggressive driver. Did other standard maintenance, tune up, oil change, etc. Sad to say I may have killed it. Had it parked on a steep hill in 15 degree weather, and about a quart low on transmission fluid. Didn't let it warm up and transmission started slipping. Its been slipping, and not got any worse for about 2 months. I'm currently shopping for a new car. Tempted to get the 2010 Taurus...

Favorite Features

Roomy, old, cheap so I don't mind dogging it every now and again.

Suggested Improvements

None