Used 1994 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Can't Decide Whether to Love it or Hate it
By labtech122

1994 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 56K miles on it 81K on it now and it ran strong for the first year The car always pulls to one side so I had the tires aligned Turned out the entire front end (suspension, swaybar, springs) were shot Replaced those and all the tires for around 1800 Car still pulls to one side <.< Replaced water pump, radiator (twice), a short of an exposed electrical bundle near the firewall, tranny went out at 75K due to a leak at the tranny pan. Unknowingly drove it bone dry in inner city traffic. Had a used one put in for 1500. Tranny pan still leaks. Leaks a quart of oil a month from the valve cover. Needs a new timing chain gasket. Interior rattles and squeaks enough to make a man crazy.

Favorite Features

Digital climate control is nice even though the buttons are all torn. Retractable antenna was great until it broke off. I like the radio controls for the stock tape deck next to the steering wheel. Moon roof is nice. Keyless entry works great until the passenger door lock stopped working. Engine is bullet proof. Never fails to start even in winter.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the tranny. It shouldn't die before 100K.

Extremely Reliable if you know what to look for
By papasmith

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I had three 94 taurus wagons altogether. Everyone of them were comfortable and reliable. They do have some consistent weaknesses. The first seems to be the ignition module. I had to replace everyone on each car at least once. The second is the body control computer. When this goes, you will think that the fuel pump has gone bad. Find out where it is and tap it for a temporary fix. The ignition module problem will manefest as unsteady speeds. Other than that, nothing but expected maintenance. I or my wife drove these cars well over 150k each. A couple of these cars now have over 250k. I wasn't that big on maintenance. I wish I could find another with low mileage.

Favorite Features

Fairly decent gas mileage. Comfortable and rock solid reliability with the 3.0 engine. The 3.8 had head gasket issues. I had the wagons and I hauled things you shouldn't haul in a car. Some of the best cars I have ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Make the newer Taurus as reliable as this generation.

Stories the same one.
By ?

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I just bought a Taurus & am in a dispute to get my money back. the guy lied on the disclosure sheet but more important, I getting all the problems I'm hearing over & over in these reviews! Tranny, jerky shifting, thumping on taking off or shifting. Thing is, I like the car, really. Even though, as I've read here, the electric windows and locks leave something to be desired. I found the previous owner, who told me it has always knocked and shifted jerky, but you get used to it, and its been a great car, so I should have Arden fix the motor mount and ignore the rest and it'll be a good car for me. I'm 60, alone, no man to help me if I have car trouble. But I really like driving this car!

Favorite Features

Dash board radio controls pop open trunk

Suggested Improvements

Tranny windshield wipers electric system hate those pull down arms in the center of the front seat

Good car but trans problems
By john

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought the car in 2006 at precinct auto sales it only had 99,000 miles on it i fell in love with it. It was white it was fairy decent interior and exterior for being an older vehicle. As the months go by i started noticing the car would make a weird noise after a stop and then jump it was not bad at first though. It started getting worse then one day the transmission went out on a hill..... it would cost about 1500 to replace so i decided to get rid of it and the trans shop said it may not work...it went out about 11000 miles later...

Favorite Features

i loved the controls on the dashboard so i can change the stations without taking my eyes off the road, the interior was very comfy though.

Suggested Improvements

make transmissions that work

Bad used car
By ralph0722

1994 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I lost my job and i had to let my new car go, so i bought a Taurus GL with 86k though will last me since only has 86k for a 1994 model. Wrong. 30 days later transmission died. spent 1300 to fix it. Lets see now what will go wrong next.

Favorite Features

Big comfy car. Big trunk. Good ride.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Quality overall. Window motors not working anymore. Radio died. Airbag light on. Don't trust the car to go long distances. Constant fear will leave me stranded.