1993 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Gets me from A to

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

GL Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Gets me from A to B
By cheap transport on

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car free from my gramps a few years ago with only 50k miles on it. It now has 110k miles. Replaced the starter, and that's about it. The 3.0L doesn't have a lot of snort by today's standards, but it does just fine. And my ASE-certified mechanic says this engine is one of the better designs out there. He says stay away for the SHO 3.8L, it's prone to major issues, many of which require specialty tools and training to remedy. This has been a good commuter car. I wish it got better mileage though, 25- 26 mpg overall (mostly hwy miles). That's the price you pay for throttle- body FI instead of multi-port EFI though! Body seems to be holding up well against MN winters with salty roads.

Favorite Features

Reliable (so far), seats 6, and the awesome 1980's design really attracts the ladies...well, OK, not so much! The old-school design serves more as a theft-deterrent (bonus feature). Big trunk for a modest-sized car.

Suggested Improvements

I have the bench seat which is nice cuz it seats 3+3 passengers, but it is not the most comfortable seats. Had to get an after-market seat cushion on the driver's seat-back for added lumbar support. I wish it had ABS brakes, and a CD player would be nice, Barry Manilow on cassette is just wrong!