1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Nothing to complain about
By Solid Car on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 93 Taurus GL with a 3.0 engine 7 years ago and have had very little problems. I can remember only once having it worked on and that ended up being a simple repair. With 94,000 miles on it I couldn't ask for a better family car.

1993 Taurus GL Wagon
By Ken U on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new aand used to commute to work for 6 years. My 19 year old son now drives it. The milage is 115,000. I haad several significant problems from the start including a burst hose and premature brake wear. It ran well for several years then there were more problems starting about 3 years ago. I have replaced the radiator, water pump, the entire steering system, struts, wiper motor and controls, AC compressor, power window and lock switches. I have invested a great deal of money but the car runs well, it's roomy and safe.

Car you love, but hate!
By 93TaurusGL on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

When my parents purchased my 93 Taurus GL sedan, I hated it. It was a uncool, 4 door sedan that I soon learned had much more potential than I had initially thought. The 3.8L engine had great performance, but the transmission couldn't keep up. I had my GL for about 3 years and bought it with 113,000 miles. The last day driven it had 142,000. Other than the transmission starting to go bad, the car ran and handled great. The car tryed to run hot several times, and did not run well on hot days. It may not be really reliable, but this car saved my life when I was hit by a farm truck and was sent literally flying through a line of trees.

SHO Lover
By Bab on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Car is awesome, if only it did have so many electrical problems.

Sometimes Not So Good
By RIP on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I owned my Taurus wagon for almost 3 years having bought it used. The wipers were bad from the beginning, the alternator was a nightmare. It required frequent repair. I had always heard you either get a good one or not, I believe I was the not. However I loved being able to pile 8 kids in one car. I bought the car with 77K sold it with 105K.

93 Taurus LX
By LineNoise on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although the 93 is a alot nicer and has alot more power I have already paid more to repair it then I did to purchase it. The 87 I have had a lot roomier interior and it's more comfortable. I do enjoy the 93's, but the 87 has a more comfortable interior. I like everything else about the 93 better than the 87, other then the seats.

Roomy but unreliable. Mechanic's dream.
By My mechanic loves me on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

We bought this car when I was pregnant and hoped for a nice, reliable family vehicle. Its transmission seems to fall apart about once a year. Our mechanic (even though we're in a big city, he knows my voice on the phone) has just let us know that (for the third time) the transmission is going. We could've bought a new car with all the money we've put into payments and car repairs. We love the size of this car, but hate not daring to drive it anywhere. Now we still owe payments on a car we can't drive safely.

No more Fords for me
By Penger5 on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

when I picked my car up today my mechanic thanked me for buying a Taurus. He said that he would plan on seeing me again REAL soon! Now that I've found this site, I know I should count on the head-gasket going any minute so I guess my mechanic might be right: "Tauruses are money pits" It's leaving my posession shortly and, as I don't want to curse anyone else with it's disastrous heritage, I guess I'll sell it for scrap!

good while it lasted
By doug on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i got this car in august 98. it had a rough time switching from first to second gear, (REALLY bad kicking) the headlights went out from time to time, and i had to get the radiator replaced once. but other than that it drove well. it was comfortable, relatively quick, and got good mileage. recently, the transmission went. in the end, i got 3.5 years out of it- so considering what i paid id consider that a bargain. the only downside is it only lasted 90000 miles... my advice: if you were looking for a short term fix a few years ago, the 93 taurus may have been a good choice. but now, their age and shoddy build probably make them too much of a maintenance liability to be worth the trouble.

FAST and FUN
By jasarisi on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I owned a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO white with matching white wheels and tan leather interior. This was my dream car! It has excellent design, an extremely powerful Yamaha 220hp engine that screams. A very fun to drive car. Its only downfall is reliability. I spent thosands in repairs on it, but every dime was worth it. This is an excellent car if your preferences are speed, looks, and fun. Your relationship with this car is a love/hate. You love it but curse after the multiple repair bills. This is an awesome car--but buy it when you have a full wallet!!!