1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Last Ford
By Loren on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Failed head gasket not covered by ford (94-95' only recall), AC failed, Susension failed, ride ok, other than driver seat the car is not confortable for others. NO power with 3.8L engine dog!! Many typical electrical conection failure, common with my 87' Taurus 6 years later and still not quaulity :(

Three Years Too Long
By Joe R F on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Had numerous repairs under waranty. As car was new, I thought I had a real lemon but repairs ceased as warranty expired. Have car nearly 10 years and variety of major repairs were needed: Xmission (after 103K miles), Alternator, Air Con, Cooling System, and most recently, Brakes needed complete overhaul. Lots of minor repairs in last two years. Overall, car served me well with 173K miles and three kids growing up around it.

Smooth Going - GL Sedan
By Pfossit on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I had over 10 repairs from 1993 to 1996 while the car was under warrenty. Since then the car has run like a charm. The only negatives, the electric window on the back left passenger door stopped working and the air conditioning broke around 70,000 miles. Otherwise, going strong at 104,000 miles.

taurus is best
By diane on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Great mileage & very reliable. Have not had a major problem and currently running on 150,000 miles of travel. Would love to have another. Recent problems, past month; new radiator, muffler, battery, and tune up. Small brake work. Spent $550 to fix all. Air conditioner in working order but vent works on upper only.

Good work
By BOBleahy on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I really like the resuilt of buying this car. Even with 80000 miles it run really good, even the way I drive it with my foot to the ground of the foor almost all the time. The only problem is the check engine light is on only when I'm in warm weather or drove to fast. I realised it could had almost over heated, to counter act that I just look at the rpm's and try not to go over 3000 rpm. And it would be fine for hours. It's amasing how much I got to like it even more over time that I had owned it.

Watch out for the 3.8L ones
By GotMach on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought one in thinking I was getting a good car with only 60,000 miles on it but had nothing but problems. Less than 500 miles after I bouth it my air conditioner went out. Then under 10,000 the motor blew a Head gasket. I have heard blown head gaskets are common in the 3.8L motors. My mother in law owns a 96' one with a 3.0 and has been having better luck with hers. Also my transmission I think was starting to slip.

Taurus unreliable, but is nice
By adam Schiff on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

My taurus has needed Fuel Pump, tensioner, fan belt : $325 Brakes, pads, rotors : $275 Exhaust : $175 Bag thingies over tires : $200 Other things I forgot : $500 Air Conditioner mt : $100 I suppose for 2 years of driving thats not too bad, but I think a camary would have required even less. Get one of those......

truth
By me the man on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

good car needs transmition improvements.

1993 Sedan Reliable and Safe for the Mon
By ElizabethAnne on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

My car was bought with ABS/ Dual air bags. I loved my car, it was a safe car. I had no problems with my car, other than the normal oil change and fixed the brakes. The only cost was when I got my air conditioning fixed and maybe a little more was done than was actually necessary. I had my car for seven years. I sold it when the Taurus got rid of the ugly butterfly shape and got side air bags. I bought my new Taurus for exactly those reasons. The 93 Taurus was comfortable and safe and a pleasure to drive.

1993 Great Wagon for All Around Use
By JosephAttila on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 1993, I had no problems. I changed the oil, fixed the brakes. I did the 60,000 mile tune up. My radiator sprung a leak, but I do not believe I changed the antifreeze in the time I owned it, therefore it is my own fault. I only had to change the altenator. This is a great car for carrying everything, especially for going to the airport with those huge suitcases, they fit great and do not need to be lifted over a metal trunk part. I love the fold down back seats. I have brought sheet rock, storm doors, doors, lawn mover, television set, large rugs home in this car. This car is a little work horse.