1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Engine Dies at Highway Speed
By steveou on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I was going 30 mph and the car totaly died. No steering, no brakes. No control of the car! Luckly, I was not in heavy traffic and did not crash. Morally, I am better off selling the two air bags, relatively new tires, battery, sterio, and getting $50 from a scrap yard too tow it away. If I was on the 405 freeway (Los Angeles), I most likely would be dead. I would not buy any Ford car based upon this engine. Your life or a kids life, is not worth taking a chance on this problematic series of Ford cars.

What was I expecting from a ford?
By SHOstopper on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Wow, i have so many mixed feelings about this car that i dont know where to begin. Yes, i loved the SHO when i first bought it. However, the constant are dissapointing. The transmision on the car has been replaced 3 times before 100k. The electrical system is a nightmare. The coolent system is in disrepair. I will never recomend a ford, unless you are prepared to be wrapped in thier Coccoon of Horrors.

bad gone worst
By stuck on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I CAUGHT THE CAR IN JULY/O2 AFTER 3 WEEKS I HAD TO REPLACE THE COOLING SYSTEM ON THE CAR. ON DEC/O2 I WAS GOING TO THE MALL WHEN THE TRANSMISSION DESIDED TO GO AT 80/KMS AN HOUR. PHONE FORD ABOUT THE PROBLEM,WAS TOLD YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.I ALMOST WAS KILLED IN THAT CAR. TRANMISSION REPAIR:1600- 2200.00.IWOULD SUGGEST ANY BODY BUYING A FORD TAURUS DON'T BUY IT.1993 MODELS

Repair, Repair and Repair Again
By JimS on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Head gaskets (twice), 4 starters, 2 alternators, bad factory rotors, 2 radiators, brake lines, water pump, rack & tie rods the list goes on and on. But Fords are my mechanics favorite cars, and he has a new boat to prove it. Many rattles, sqeaks and noises. The repairs were many even when the car was new. I should have sold it years ago.

SHO a show stopper!
By LittleFloater on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The greatest car I ever had! Economical, room for a family, and some guts! $500 AC repair, 400 Fan repair only major repairs in life, to this point. Recently lost a throwout bearing which put grooves in the hub in the bell housing...argh! MAJOR problem, but fixing it anyway. The car is too good to let go of.

'93Ford Taurus Wagon
By Dr K on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Very reliable and comfortable car. Front wheel drive for good handling in bad conditions.Fold down rear seats allow for versatility in moving cargo. Roomier than the newer body designed Tauruses. No major mechanical issues over the ten years owned.

The best car I ever owned.
By Saved on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I purcased a 1993 SHO in Febuary of 99. The car was silver with gray leather interior and had every option except mo- onroof and cd player. It had 71,000 mil- es at time of purchase and 109k when I let it go. It would get 30 mpg on the h- iway when driven 70 mph and would accel- erate to its top speed of 140 mph with no vibration. The only thing that ever failed was the starter. I lost the car to a deer on the hiway at 70 mph. I was thankfully not hurt at all.

FORD= FIX IT REPAIR DAILY I
By purpleturtle on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT THE WRONG CAR AC WENT 3 TIMES TYE RODS FIVE TIMES SPRINGS SHOCKS ETC WENT TO CRUISE CONTROLL WENT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ESPICALLY PEOPLE WHO SAY THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME WELL IT HAPPEN TO ME! EVEN THE DEALER TO WHO I TRADED IT TO WAS UPSET AT ME FOR TRADING IT IN. I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF IN MY MAZDA TRUCK. FORD STOCK IS NOW AT $10.00 THERE IS NOTHING GOOOD ABOUT FORD. I NOW DRIVE A SUBARAU WOW !

Oh the Horror
By Jamie B on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

So many repairs.Completely replaced AC. New brakes x3. Water pump, map sensor, two new axels for front, new tie rod end,new heater core, radiator fixed, speakers were actually dry rotted when I replaced them. Could have paid the car off at least twice for the repair bills. But mine has a total of 230,000 miles on it. Engine was replaced by previous owner at 100,000 miles, so never any problems there for me. Just everything else.

Totaled -- Thanks!
By Ford No More on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car for my daughter in 1999 with 70,000 miles on it based on safety and hoped-for reliability. Way wrong! Would have been better off spending more for a Toyota. The Taurus has been a money-pit. Fuel pump ($700), A/C ($1800), and on, and on. As my daughter kept saying, "it's dying again!". Worse yet, even though the car was already 7 years old when purchased, it's lost 75% of its cost over the past 3 years! She just got rear-ended (she's fine) and the car was totaled. I'm SO glad!