Used 1993 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

A comfortable piece of mechanical trash
By eisenach

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The title says it all. Nice car when new, soon began to fail mechanically, all in all has been a costly nightmare. At Ford, quality is job what?

Favorite Features

Interior comfort. Paint has held up surprisingly well for a dark red.

Suggested Improvements

Drop it off a cliff.

steering problems
By middleaged

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

While the car was under warranty, the rack and pinion steering had to be replaced 3 times. It is in need of another steering mechanism at this time. For some reason, the dealership service department cannot explain why this keeps happening. Sensors go out with no prior warning, and suspension is terrible. I would never purchase another Taurus.

Favorite Features

Automatic seat on driver's side, power windows, interior trunk latch release.

Suggested Improvements

Design better steering mechanism and suspension.

i love my taurus
By jennco

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My taurus maybe 10 yrs old but it's still as nice as it was the day I got it. My gradparents bought one new in '89. I always wanted one since, now I do and it hasn't disapointed me. My husband has a Saturn coupe and he's so impressed with mine. He wants one. I wanted to write this review about my Taurus because I hear people say that their not good cars. I can't speak for the new Taurus because I don't have one, and maybe their not as good as the old ones, but to say that they are no good is not true. I'm living proof, I love my '93 Taurus and I will tell people what a good car it is.

Favorite Features

Power Seats, even some newer cars don't have that option. Radio contorls next to the steering wheel. The trunk release, when you pull the lever the trunk doesn't just unlock, it opens.

Suggested Improvements

It's almost 11yrs. old so I'm going to say maybe a newer model would be an improvement.

Don't Buy
By NY

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have had nothing but problems with both the car and Ford. The headgaskets, water pump, fuel pump, alternator, A/C compressor, and radiator all had to be replaced before the car had 60K on it.

Overall Satisfied
By Ken in CT

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

After 10 years of my first Ford, I can say it has been fairly reliable - had some Mass Air Flow Sensor and O2 Sensor issues at about 50,000. Also, it has had 2 out of the 3 faults that I am told it is infamous for - broken motor mounts and now the tranny is shot. Never had problems with the third one - head gaskets, but it was probably coming. An excellent handling car in the snow, providing you have good tires on it. I would consider buying another one, but I would research a bit to make sure the tranny and head gasket problems have been ironed out.

Favorite Features

Heads up control for radio, front seat leg room, illuminated power window & lock controls.

Suggested Improvements

Make the tranny, computer emmission sensors and head gaskets more reliable. Provide usable cup holders.