1993 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Engine Dies at Highway Speed
By steveou on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I was going 30 mph and the car totaly died. No steering, no brakes. No control of the car! Luckly, I was not in heavy traffic and did not crash. Morally, I am better off selling the two air bags, relatively new tires, battery, sterio, and getting $50 from a scrap yard too tow it away. If I was on the 405 freeway (Los Angeles), I most likely would be dead. I would not buy any Ford car based upon this engine. Your life or a kids life, is not worth taking a chance on this problematic series of Ford cars.

bad gone worst
By stuck on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I CAUGHT THE CAR IN JULY/O2 AFTER 3 WEEKS I HAD TO REPLACE THE COOLING SYSTEM ON THE CAR. ON DEC/O2 I WAS GOING TO THE MALL WHEN THE TRANSMISSION DESIDED TO GO AT 80/KMS AN HOUR. PHONE FORD ABOUT THE PROBLEM,WAS TOLD YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.I ALMOST WAS KILLED IN THAT CAR. TRANMISSION REPAIR:1600- 2200.00.IWOULD SUGGEST ANY BODY BUYING A FORD TAURUS DON'T BUY IT.1993 MODELS

FORD= FIX IT REPAIR DAILY I
By purpleturtle on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT THE WRONG CAR AC WENT 3 TIMES TYE RODS FIVE TIMES SPRINGS SHOCKS ETC WENT TO CRUISE CONTROLL WENT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ESPICALLY PEOPLE WHO SAY THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME WELL IT HAPPEN TO ME! EVEN THE DEALER TO WHO I TRADED IT TO WAS UPSET AT ME FOR TRADING IT IN. I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF IN MY MAZDA TRUCK. FORD STOCK IS NOW AT $10.00 THERE IS NOTHING GOOOD ABOUT FORD. I NOW DRIVE A SUBARAU WOW !

Oh the Horror
By Jamie B on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

So many repairs.Completely replaced AC. New brakes x3. Water pump, map sensor, two new axels for front, new tie rod end,new heater core, radiator fixed, speakers were actually dry rotted when I replaced them. Could have paid the car off at least twice for the repair bills. But mine has a total of 230,000 miles on it. Engine was replaced by previous owner at 100,000 miles, so never any problems there for me. Just everything else.

Totaled -- Thanks!
By Ford No More on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car for my daughter in 1999 with 70,000 miles on it based on safety and hoped-for reliability. Way wrong! Would have been better off spending more for a Toyota. The Taurus has been a money-pit. Fuel pump ($700), A/C ($1800), and on, and on. As my daughter kept saying, "it's dying again!". Worse yet, even though the car was already 7 years old when purchased, it's lost 75% of its cost over the past 3 years! She just got rear-ended (she's fine) and the car was totaled. I'm SO glad!

Last Ford
By Loren on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Failed head gasket not covered by ford (94-95' only recall), AC failed, Susension failed, ride ok, other than driver seat the car is not confortable for others. NO power with 3.8L engine dog!! Many typical electrical conection failure, common with my 87' Taurus 6 years later and still not quaulity :(

Smooth Going - GL Sedan
By Pfossit on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I had over 10 repairs from 1993 to 1996 while the car was under warrenty. Since then the car has run like a charm. The only negatives, the electric window on the back left passenger door stopped working and the air conditioning broke around 70,000 miles. Otherwise, going strong at 104,000 miles.

taurus is best
By diane on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great mileage & very reliable. Have not had a major problem and currently running on 150,000 miles of travel. Would love to have another. Recent problems, past month; new radiator, muffler, battery, and tune up. Small brake work. Spent $550 to fix all. Air conditioner in working order but vent works on upper only.

Watch out for the 3.8L ones
By GotMach on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought one in thinking I was getting a good car with only 60,000 miles on it but had nothing but problems. Less than 500 miles after I bouth it my air conditioner went out. Then under 10,000 the motor blew a Head gasket. I have heard blown head gaskets are common in the 3.8L motors. My mother in law owns a 96' one with a 3.0 and has been having better luck with hers. Also my transmission I think was starting to slip.

Taurus unreliable, but is nice
By adam Schiff on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My taurus has needed Fuel Pump, tensioner, fan belt : $325 Brakes, pads, rotors : $275 Exhaust : $175 Bag thingies over tires : $200 Other things I forgot : $500 Air Conditioner mt : $100 I suppose for 2 years of driving thats not too bad, but I think a camary would have required even less. Get one of those......