Used 1993 Ford Taurus SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Wish they still made them!
By FDeMella

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned, no driven! Awesome quick and handles great. I get almost 30 mpg highway. Interior is comfortable. Four doors made this car the perfect car for me; I can fit my family in it and still have a kicking sports car.

Torque! I also like the climate control and sound. Driver's seat has nice bolsters and lat wings. Yamaha motor is the bomb.

Bring this car back into production - but with the Yamaha motor.

neat car, but watch out
By nathan

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The ONLY reason you should buy an SHO is for the same reason I did. Because you think it's a cool car. That, and the performance are this car's redeeming features. You're gonna get lousy mileage (18-19 highway maybe). My SHO broke about once a month, usually the brakes. The brakes are absolutely ridiculous, and you probably won't have the trouble I did, but I'm changing pads and calipers every other weekend it feels like. Mileage is poor, and all the Ford parts pretty much fall apart, but the Yamaha engine is solid as a rock and you'll never have take a wrench to it. Transmission has been replaced and still doesn't work that well (I have the auto). I have 146,000 miles on it.

It's a rare car, hard to find, and people who know the difference between an SHO and a Taurus are always going to compliment it. Leather, sunroof, power features rock my socks and I love the interior. Engine is awesome. It's a very stealthy fast car.

Yamaha should have made the whole car. Be careful if you buy one, bad mileage, FAR from reliable, but it's a sweet ride and I love it to death but sometimes I just want to drive it into a tree.

Wish they still made them
By TET1909

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new. Great buy for the performance -- I wish they still had made them. Great acceleration and handling and a good sized car Clutch wore out every 30-40000 miles and I had a recurring problem with heater core breaking. Added performance breaking system which made stooping as good as moving

Engine!!!!! Bolster seats Cornering lights

Start making it again and put in a 6- speed with a real clutch

I love this car!
By Ed Johnson

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Owned 5 years and 75K miles to 135K (60K). Yamaha engine is strong, smooth, and durable. Any older car needs alternators, water pumps, starters, belts, A/C compressors, cooling system repairs, and has oil leaks. Oh, and that "check engine" light; replaced the computer. No electrical bugs in mine. Auto trans sometimes confused by power downshifts. I like my grey cloth/leather interior with no fake wood trim, auto climate control, auto headlites, cornering lites, and premium sound, but wish it had a CD player, and wish it had the FoMoCo keypad entry system. Replaced the struts when it was in to have the steering rack replaced.

Engine, handling, looks (it is pleasing,looks a little more "purposful" than a standard Taurus, but still "stealthy"), interior with no fake wood, and those adjustable seats. It is smooth, strong, agile and fast. Fun to drive!

Ford, make another one. Use Lincoln LS "sport" as base, but SHO meaner and leaner.

I really like this car
By michaeltpo

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

It is a great car when its been properly maintained. The car needs A SHO repair expert to get any the work done. Any work will be fairly expensive but worth it. It has an incredible engine and smooth accelleration, it is roomy, comfortable, and handles well on windy roads. The brakes are underrated for this fast car which weighs @3500 lbs so they need to be replaced relatively frequently. Gas mileage is poor in the city but decent on the highway. Overall, a very inexpensive used car to acquire that can be a bit expensive to maintain but actually worth it. Excellent passing skills and a great long distance cruiser.

Smooth and powerful engine.

Power antenae fails on most SHOs. Shifting the manual is a long throw.