1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1993 Taurus Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (19 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Love at first sight.
By bhuggy

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with exactly 150k miles a little over a year ago. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I saw an ad for it in my hometown. I replaced a few sensors and a muffler and we were good to go! Well.. sort of. Now, I love this car but you need to know what you're getting into. This is not a budget car. Maintenance is not cheap and you can get in over your head if you're not careful. Other than that I swear that a few electrical problems have actually fixed themselves. The alternator used to make the wipers slow down when idling. It hasn't done that since winter. Also the wipers used to stop halfway across the windshield on intermittent but it hasn't done that in a long time.

Favorite Features

The 3.0 Yamaha SHO V6 is an incredible engine with a very distinguishable exhaust sound. Lots of options. Gets pretty good MPG. Has a huge trunk even though I almost never use it.

Suggested Improvements

Having a hard time thinking of anything I love this car so much. Have heard the MTX transmission is a little weak but it doesn't bother me. Make sure you replace your rod bearings as the miles get higher.

3.0L Yamaha with MTX, 10th year
By 1993sho3.0

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I am second owner. My first Ford. Drove for 2 weeks before I purchased. Purchased in 2000 for $3,300 at 127K miles, now with 176K miles. Reasonable reliability. 3.0 L Yamaha, VIN Y. No engine problems except oil leak into spark plug wells, which surprisingly did not affect the ignition or wires at all. Unusual failure of front spring bearings, maybe due to improperly performed recall requiring removal of springs? First owner replaced clutch at $49K, still strong. Now using cryogenic brake pads and centrix rotors. Torque steer disappeared with Goodyear Tripletreds.

Favorite Features

3.0L Yamaha DOHC still running strong at 176,000. Leather seats very comfortable, easy on back. Handling. Solid feel. Style.

Nightmare on wheels
By my SHO

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

When the car was running, it was a thing of beauty. Power, handling, looks even were great. Bought it used in 2001 with 76K miles. Broke down not two days after the 3 month warranty ran out, and then every 4 to 5 months after until the transmission went in June of '07. The starter and alternator were replaced too many times to count, along with various other recurring electrical problems, brakes, radiator, spent thousands more on repairs than was worth it. A regular maintenance schedule was no help.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, power, comfort were all top notch.

Suggested Improvements

Not be such a lemon? As much trouble as the car was, I will miss it.

Very fun car needing costant attention
By sho-rod

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Very fun car. Very comfortable, fully loaded. Catback exhaust, lightweight flywheel and warm air intake really woke it up. More mods to come. It is a 14 year old Ford, some issues will be expected. It still needs an engine mount, and the A/C compressor clutch hub. A couple oil leaks, and warped brake rotors. And the driver's seat has little padding left. Fuel economy is average for a high output 6 cylinder in the city, but it goes up dramatically on the highway. I paid $3k for the car, and have already spent half that on improving it. It is very worth spending money on, because it is very rewarding to drive.

Favorite Features

The engine sounds awesome at full song. Pulls smooth and hard to redline. Rides great, and handles very good for a large car. Comfortable seats, cold A/C, power everything. Very quiet on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior materials could be higher quality. They should still build this model Taurus with this same engine and manual transmission.

Listen Up Ford! Make the SHO again
By Flip's SHO

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I have owned my SHO for a little over 11 years now. I thought about trading it 4 years ago, but I could not bring myself into parting with it. It is so much better than the "sucked in sides" Taurus on the market now. Mine's a beat up old workhorse which I have admittedly abused of late, but my repair bill for last year was a little over $600 ($200 of which was for a couple of new tires). In fact the only major repairs I've experienced in all this time was a rebuilt transmission ($1600 at 130,000 miles) and a bottom end oil seal and water pump repair ($900 at 115,000 miles). I figure every month I keep this car is another car payment I put in my pocket. Fun to drive, hugs the curves and fast.

Favorite Features

Great suspension. Fast and durable Yamaha motor. The inflatable lumbar supports and side bolsters make the long trips easier.

Suggested Improvements

Ford, bring back the original SHO that you made until '95 (with modern conveniences, of course) and get rid of that awful SEL!

Wish they still made them!
By FDeMella

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned, no driven! Awesome quick and handles great. I get almost 30 mpg highway. Interior is comfortable. Four doors made this car the perfect car for me; I can fit my family in it and still have a kicking sports car.

Favorite Features

Torque! I also like the climate control and sound. Driver's seat has nice bolsters and lat wings. Yamaha motor is the bomb.

Suggested Improvements

Bring this car back into production - but with the Yamaha motor.

neat car, but watch out
By nathan

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The ONLY reason you should buy an SHO is for the same reason I did. Because you think it's a cool car. That, and the performance are this car's redeeming features. You're gonna get lousy mileage (18-19 highway maybe). My SHO broke about once a month, usually the brakes. The brakes are absolutely ridiculous, and you probably won't have the trouble I did, but I'm changing pads and calipers every other weekend it feels like. Mileage is poor, and all the Ford parts pretty much fall apart, but the Yamaha engine is solid as a rock and you'll never have take a wrench to it. Transmission has been replaced and still doesn't work that well (I have the auto). I have 146,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

It's a rare car, hard to find, and people who know the difference between an SHO and a Taurus are always going to compliment it. Leather, sunroof, power features rock my socks and I love the interior. Engine is awesome. It's a very stealthy fast car.

Suggested Improvements

Yamaha should have made the whole car. Be careful if you buy one, bad mileage, FAR from reliable, but it's a sweet ride and I love it to death but sometimes I just want to drive it into a tree.

Wish they still made them
By TET1909

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new. Great buy for the performance -- I wish they still had made them. Great acceleration and handling and a good sized car Clutch wore out every 30-40000 miles and I had a recurring problem with heater core breaking. Added performance breaking system which made stooping as good as moving

Favorite Features

Engine!!!!! Bolster seats Cornering lights

Suggested Improvements

Start making it again and put in a 6- speed with a real clutch

I love this car!
By Ed Johnson

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Owned 5 years and 75K miles to 135K (60K). Yamaha engine is strong, smooth, and durable. Any older car needs alternators, water pumps, starters, belts, A/C compressors, cooling system repairs, and has oil leaks. Oh, and that "check engine" light; replaced the computer. No electrical bugs in mine. Auto trans sometimes confused by power downshifts. I like my grey cloth/leather interior with no fake wood trim, auto climate control, auto headlites, cornering lites, and premium sound, but wish it had a CD player, and wish it had the FoMoCo keypad entry system. Replaced the struts when it was in to have the steering rack replaced.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, looks (it is pleasing,looks a little more "purposful" than a standard Taurus, but still "stealthy"), interior with no fake wood, and those adjustable seats. It is smooth, strong, agile and fast. Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Ford, make another one. Use Lincoln LS "sport" as base, but SHO meaner and leaner.

I really like this car
By michaeltpo

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

It is a great car when its been properly maintained. The car needs A SHO repair expert to get any the work done. Any work will be fairly expensive but worth it. It has an incredible engine and smooth accelleration, it is roomy, comfortable, and handles well on windy roads. The brakes are underrated for this fast car which weighs @3500 lbs so they need to be replaced relatively frequently. Gas mileage is poor in the city but decent on the highway. Overall, a very inexpensive used car to acquire that can be a bit expensive to maintain but actually worth it. Excellent passing skills and a great long distance cruiser.

Favorite Features

Smooth and powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Power antenae fails on most SHOs. Shifting the manual is a long throw.