Used 1993 Ford Taurus SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (19 reviews )

Love at first sight.
By bhuggy

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with exactly 150k miles a little over a year ago. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I saw an ad for it in my hometown. I replaced a few sensors and a muffler and we were good to go! Well.. sort of. Now, I love this car but you need to know what you're getting into. This is not a budget car. Maintenance is not cheap and you can get in over your head if you're not careful. Other than that I swear that a few electrical problems have actually fixed themselves. The alternator used to make the wipers slow down when idling. It hasn't done that since winter. Also the wipers used to stop halfway across the windshield on intermittent but it hasn't done that in a long time.

The 3.0 Yamaha SHO V6 is an incredible engine with a very distinguishable exhaust sound. Lots of options. Gets pretty good MPG. Has a huge trunk even though I almost never use it.

Having a hard time thinking of anything I love this car so much. Have heard the MTX transmission is a little weak but it doesn't bother me. Make sure you replace your rod bearings as the miles get higher.

3.0L Yamaha with MTX, 10th year
By 1993sho3.0

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I am second owner. My first Ford. Drove for 2 weeks before I purchased. Purchased in 2000 for $3,300 at 127K miles, now with 176K miles. Reasonable reliability. 3.0 L Yamaha, VIN Y. No engine problems except oil leak into spark plug wells, which surprisingly did not affect the ignition or wires at all. Unusual failure of front spring bearings, maybe due to improperly performed recall requiring removal of springs? First owner replaced clutch at $49K, still strong. Now using cryogenic brake pads and centrix rotors. Torque steer disappeared with Goodyear Tripletreds.

3.0L Yamaha DOHC still running strong at 176,000. Leather seats very comfortable, easy on back. Handling. Solid feel. Style.

Nightmare on wheels
By my SHO

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

When the car was running, it was a thing of beauty. Power, handling, looks even were great. Bought it used in 2001 with 76K miles. Broke down not two days after the 3 month warranty ran out, and then every 4 to 5 months after until the transmission went in June of '07. The starter and alternator were replaced too many times to count, along with various other recurring electrical problems, brakes, radiator, spent thousands more on repairs than was worth it. A regular maintenance schedule was no help.

Looks, handling, power, comfort were all top notch.

Not be such a lemon? As much trouble as the car was, I will miss it.

Very fun car needing costant attention
By sho-rod

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Very fun car. Very comfortable, fully loaded. Catback exhaust, lightweight flywheel and warm air intake really woke it up. More mods to come. It is a 14 year old Ford, some issues will be expected. It still needs an engine mount, and the A/C compressor clutch hub. A couple oil leaks, and warped brake rotors. And the driver's seat has little padding left. Fuel economy is average for a high output 6 cylinder in the city, but it goes up dramatically on the highway. I paid $3k for the car, and have already spent half that on improving it. It is very worth spending money on, because it is very rewarding to drive.

The engine sounds awesome at full song. Pulls smooth and hard to redline. Rides great, and handles very good for a large car. Comfortable seats, cold A/C, power everything. Very quiet on the highway.

Some of the interior materials could be higher quality. They should still build this model Taurus with this same engine and manual transmission.

Listen Up Ford! Make the SHO again
By Flip's SHO

1993 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I have owned my SHO for a little over 11 years now. I thought about trading it 4 years ago, but I could not bring myself into parting with it. It is so much better than the "sucked in sides" Taurus on the market now. Mine's a beat up old workhorse which I have admittedly abused of late, but my repair bill for last year was a little over $600 ($200 of which was for a couple of new tires). In fact the only major repairs I've experienced in all this time was a rebuilt transmission ($1600 at 130,000 miles) and a bottom end oil seal and water pump repair ($900 at 115,000 miles). I figure every month I keep this car is another car payment I put in my pocket. Fun to drive, hugs the curves and fast.

Great suspension. Fast and durable Yamaha motor. The inflatable lumbar supports and side bolsters make the long trips easier.

Ford, bring back the original SHO that you made until '95 (with modern conveniences, of course) and get rid of that awful SEL!