1993 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Reliable and Comfortable
By missnpoppy on 03/30/11 11:04 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has been my favorite car. I bought it in '05 with 80k miles on it. I have more than doubled those miles. I have taken it on numerous long trips including a driving vacation last summer from Washington state to lower California and back last summer. I get roughly 26 mpg highway. It is more comfortable than my parents newer Toyota Camry. I drive it hard on highway and rural unpaved country roads. This is one car that I'm going to miss when it finally gives up. I agree with the alignment issues which if you don't take care of regularly will wear out tires. I also have to replace brakes quite often. Other than that just routine maintenance. I definitely will stick with Taurus.

Ford Taurus
By Robert on 06/06/10 16:56 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the GL model with a 3.8 L engine in fall of 1993. It has low mileage 66K with a history of repair problems. Replaced radiator, AC system. $1200 repair. Recently replaced the engine head gasket. The 3.8 has an aluminum head that warps and ruins the gasket. This problem develops at about 60k or six years on this engine. The replacement gasket is now of better quality being able to withstand the heat and flexing of the engine head. Be prepared to spend about $1500 for this repair. The steering does not stay in alignment and has had numerous alignments. Never had an accident. The fuel pump bearing is noisy and will eventually need replacement. Avoid the 3.8 L engine.

love it
By Nick on 05/31/10 15:34 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Taurus GL in September of 2008 from my friends grandma. The car had only 76,000 miles on it. They had a power steering line replaced before I bought it but nothing prior except oil changes. I have had to replace the rack and pinion, and the starter, but other than that its just been routine maintenance. It has the 3.8 liter engine which I love though it's sometimes difficult to work on due to size. It now has 91,000 miles on it and I still drive it on road trips and it has always done fine. It gets 21 miles to the gallon city driving!!

not bad, had worse
By emc818 on 03/26/09 22:34 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1993 taurus gl in august 07 for $950. Immediately replaced all 3 motor mounts. The car leaks oil from somewhere on the passenger side and burns off the catalytic converter, hence the nickname Smokey. Also the temperature gauge has a mind of it's own, but has never overheated. Other than that, not a bad car. just basic a to b transportation. would NOT take it on a long trip, just doesn't seem THAT reliable.

Gets me from A to B
By cheap transport on 04/18/08 11:03 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car free from my gramps a few years ago with only 50k miles on it. It now has 110k miles. Replaced the starter, and that's about it. The 3.0L doesn't have a lot of snort by today's standards, but it does just fine. And my ASE-certified mechanic says this engine is one of the better designs out there. He says stay away for the SHO 3.8L, it's prone to major issues, many of which require specialty tools and training to remedy. This has been a good commuter car. I wish it got better mileage though, 25- 26 mpg overall (mostly hwy miles). That's the price you pay for throttle- body FI instead of multi-port EFI though! Body seems to be holding up well against MN winters with salty roads.

Love My Taurus
By love my taurus on 05/11/06 10:01 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Taurus for almost 13 years and had no major mechanical problems with it until the past year with 146,000 miles on it. I love everything about this car from the trunk space to the seats, to the radio controls on the dashboard. I feel safe driving this car. I have been hit twice in it with no real damage (cracked bumper & hood damage). When the insurance company tried to total my car, I said nay and had it fixed for $200. I know I will cry buckets when this car in finally unfixable.

Get up and go with newer engine
By roadrunner6700 on 10/20/05 02:45 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Very good, reliable car. I've owned many cars but this is a tough car with the new engine.Tough also on impact; I accidentally ran into a brick house and when I backed out it had no body damage, except one small scratch on the hood. Very reliable and TOUGH.

fully loaded
By eric on 08/10/05 11:42 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car, itÂ’s the best that I owned. I have a fully loaded GL model. I drove smaller vehicles and as soon as I purchased this one I fell in love with the Taurus. Soooo comfortable and smooth it is just relaxing to drive around and home from work. I suggest the Taurus to anyone.

Wonderful Car
By Ryan on 04/07/05 15:08 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my '93 Taurus. I use it everyday as a commuter car. This car has a lot of power on the freeway. Have had very few problems with the car.

great car
By bob sled on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

we bought this car in 95 2 years old and have had very few problems with it. the car now has about 220000 miles on it and is still going strong. very comfortable, good handling, acceptable power, only real problems have been the ignition switch, which sometimes does not switch off completely, causing the battery to need a charge, and the a/c, which recently failed, and costs alot to fix due to the change in the type of frion.the exterior styling could be better.