Used 1993 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

My cheap 1993 GL
By chris

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

It's a good looking body design, cheap on the used market, but the main problem is that the transmission shifts funky even when it is not damaged, and working normal. It would make a good spare to have around, or as a throw away car to use for a few months. I will say that it is easy to change the oil on it.

Reliable and Comfortable
By missnpoppy

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has been my favorite car.
I bought it in '05 with 80k miles on it.
I have more than doubled those miles.
I have taken it on numerous long trips including a driving vacation last summer from Washington state to lower California and back last summer.
I get roughly 26 mpg highway.
It is more comfortable than my parents newer Toyota Camry.
I drive it hard on highway and rural unpaved country roads.
This is one car that I'm going to miss when it finally gives up.
I agree with the alignment issues which if you don't take care of regularly will wear out tires.
I also have to replace brakes quite often.
Other than that just routine maintenance.
I definitely will stick with Taurus.

Very comfortable and roomy. I can seat 6 with belts and it has a huge trunk. My husband is amazed with what I can make fit. I like the pull out cup holders in dash. Also larger than most glove compartment which I keep alot of "just in case" stuff in.

Alignment is an issue. Two spark plugs difficult to replace as in hard to reach place.

Ford Taurus
By Robert

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the GL model with a 3.8 L engine in fall of 1993. It has low mileage 66K with a history of repair problems. Replaced radiator, AC system. $1200 repair. Recently replaced the engine head gasket. The 3.8 has an aluminum head that warps and ruins the gasket. This problem develops at about 60k or six years on this engine. The replacement gasket is now of better quality being able to withstand the heat and flexing of the engine head. Be prepared to spend about $1500 for this repair. The steering does not stay in alignment and has had numerous alignments. Never had an accident. The fuel pump bearing is noisy and will eventually need replacement. Avoid the 3.8 L engine.

Seating, comfort, handling, engine power.

Better testing and quality control.

love it
By Nick

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Taurus GL in September of 2008 from my friends grandma. The car had only 76,000 miles on it. They had a power steering line replaced before I bought it but nothing prior except oil changes. I have had to replace the rack and pinion, and the starter, but other than that its just been routine maintenance. It has the 3.8 liter engine which I love though it's sometimes difficult to work on due to size. It now has 91,000 miles on it and I still drive it on road trips and it has always done fine. It gets 21 miles to the gallon city driving!!

The big engine, interior room, body design, could have bought a newer one but i love that body style!

better cup holders, more room under hood, changing the rear spark plugs isn't very fun!

not bad, had worse
By emc818

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1993 taurus gl in august 07 for $950. Immediately replaced all 3 motor mounts. The car leaks oil from somewhere on the passenger side and burns off the catalytic converter, hence the nickname Smokey. Also the temperature gauge has a mind of it's own, but has never overheated. Other than that, not a bad car. just basic a to b transportation. would NOT take it on a long trip, just doesn't seem THAT reliable.

Comfy seats, smooth ride, modest acceleration.

Just give me something different.