Used 1993 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Reliable and Comfortable
By missnpoppy

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has been my favorite car. I bought it in '05 with 80k miles on it. I have more than doubled those miles. I have taken it on numerous long trips including a driving vacation last summer from Washington state to lower California and back last summer. I get roughly 26 mpg highway. It is more comfortable than my parents newer Toyota Camry. I drive it hard on highway and rural unpaved country roads. This is one car that I'm going to miss when it finally gives up. I agree with the alignment issues which if you don't take care of regularly will wear out tires. I also have to replace brakes quite often. Other than that just routine maintenance. I definitely will stick with Taurus.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and roomy. I can seat 6 with belts and it has a huge trunk. My husband is amazed with what I can make fit. I like the pull out cup holders in dash. Also larger than most glove compartment which I keep alot of "just in case" stuff in.

Suggested Improvements

Alignment is an issue. Two spark plugs difficult to replace as in hard to reach place.

Ford Taurus
By Robert

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the GL model with a 3.8 L engine in fall of 1993. It has low mileage 66K with a history of repair problems. Replaced radiator, AC system. $1200 repair. Recently replaced the engine head gasket. The 3.8 has an aluminum head that warps and ruins the gasket. This problem develops at about 60k or six years on this engine. The replacement gasket is now of better quality being able to withstand the heat and flexing of the engine head. Be prepared to spend about $1500 for this repair. The steering does not stay in alignment and has had numerous alignments. Never had an accident. The fuel pump bearing is noisy and will eventually need replacement. Avoid the 3.8 L engine.

Favorite Features

Seating, comfort, handling, engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Better testing and quality control.

love it
By Nick

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Taurus GL in September of 2008 from my friends grandma. The car had only 76,000 miles on it. They had a power steering line replaced before I bought it but nothing prior except oil changes. I have had to replace the rack and pinion, and the starter, but other than that its just been routine maintenance. It has the 3.8 liter engine which I love though it's sometimes difficult to work on due to size. It now has 91,000 miles on it and I still drive it on road trips and it has always done fine. It gets 21 miles to the gallon city driving!!

Favorite Features

The big engine, interior room, body design, could have bought a newer one but i love that body style!

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, more room under hood, changing the rear spark plugs isn't very fun!

not bad, had worse
By emc818

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1993 taurus gl in august 07 for $950. Immediately replaced all 3 motor mounts. The car leaks oil from somewhere on the passenger side and burns off the catalytic converter, hence the nickname Smokey. Also the temperature gauge has a mind of it's own, but has never overheated. Other than that, not a bad car. just basic a to b transportation. would NOT take it on a long trip, just doesn't seem THAT reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, smooth ride, modest acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Just give me something different.

Gets me from A to B
By cheap transport

1993 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car free from my gramps a few years ago with only 50k miles on it. It now has 110k miles. Replaced the starter, and that's about it. The 3.0L doesn't have a lot of snort by today's standards, but it does just fine. And my ASE-certified mechanic says this engine is one of the better designs out there. He says stay away for the SHO 3.8L, it's prone to major issues, many of which require specialty tools and training to remedy. This has been a good commuter car. I wish it got better mileage though, 25- 26 mpg overall (mostly hwy miles). That's the price you pay for throttle- body FI instead of multi-port EFI though! Body seems to be holding up well against MN winters with salty roads.

Favorite Features

Reliable (so far), seats 6, and the awesome 1980's design really attracts the ladies...well, OK, not so much! The old-school design serves more as a theft-deterrent (bonus feature). Big trunk for a modest-sized car.

Suggested Improvements

I have the bench seat which is nice cuz it seats 3+3 passengers, but it is not the most comfortable seats. Had to get an after-market seat cushion on the driver's seat-back for added lumbar support. I wish it had ABS brakes, and a CD player would be nice, Barry Manilow on cassette is just wrong!