Used 1993 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Love at first sight.
By bhuggy

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with exactly 150k miles a little over a year ago. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I saw an ad for it in my hometown. I replaced a few sensors and a muffler and we were good to go! Well.. sort of. Now, I love this car but you need to know what you're getting into. This is not a budget car. Maintenance is not cheap and you can get in over your head if you're not careful. Other than that I swear that a few electrical problems have actually fixed themselves. The alternator used to make the wipers slow down when idling. It hasn't done that since winter. Also the wipers used to stop halfway across the windshield on intermittent but it hasn't done that in a long time.

Favorite Features

The 3.0 Yamaha SHO V6 is an incredible engine with a very distinguishable exhaust sound. Lots of options. Gets pretty good MPG. Has a huge trunk even though I almost never use it.

Suggested Improvements

Having a hard time thinking of anything I love this car so much. Have heard the MTX transmission is a little weak but it doesn't bother me. Make sure you replace your rod bearings as the miles get higher.

Reliable and Comfortable
By missnpoppy

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This has been my favorite car. I bought it in '05 with 80k miles on it. I have more than doubled those miles. I have taken it on numerous long trips including a driving vacation last summer from Washington state to lower California and back last summer. I get roughly 26 mpg highway. It is more comfortable than my parents newer Toyota Camry. I drive it hard on highway and rural unpaved country roads. This is one car that I'm going to miss when it finally gives up. I agree with the alignment issues which if you don't take care of regularly will wear out tires. I also have to replace brakes quite often. Other than that just routine maintenance. I definitely will stick with Taurus.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and roomy. I can seat 6 with belts and it has a huge trunk. My husband is amazed with what I can make fit. I like the pull out cup holders in dash. Also larger than most glove compartment which I keep alot of "just in case" stuff in.

Suggested Improvements

Alignment is an issue. Two spark plugs difficult to replace as in hard to reach place.

3.0L Yamaha with MTX, 10th year
By 1993sho3.0

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I am second owner. My first Ford. Drove for 2 weeks before I purchased. Purchased in 2000 for $3,300 at 127K miles, now with 176K miles. Reasonable reliability. 3.0 L Yamaha, VIN Y. No engine problems except oil leak into spark plug wells, which surprisingly did not affect the ignition or wires at all. Unusual failure of front spring bearings, maybe due to improperly performed recall requiring removal of springs? First owner replaced clutch at $49K, still strong. Now using cryogenic brake pads and centrix rotors. Torque steer disappeared with Goodyear Tripletreds.

Favorite Features

3.0L Yamaha DOHC still running strong at 176,000. Leather seats very comfortable, easy on back. Handling. Solid feel. Style.

Ford Taurus
By Robert

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the GL model with a 3.8 L engine in fall of 1993. It has low mileage 66K with a history of repair problems. Replaced radiator, AC system. $1200 repair. Recently replaced the engine head gasket. The 3.8 has an aluminum head that warps and ruins the gasket. This problem develops at about 60k or six years on this engine. The replacement gasket is now of better quality being able to withstand the heat and flexing of the engine head. Be prepared to spend about $1500 for this repair. The steering does not stay in alignment and has had numerous alignments. Never had an accident. The fuel pump bearing is noisy and will eventually need replacement. Avoid the 3.8 L engine.

Favorite Features

Seating, comfort, handling, engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Better testing and quality control.

love it
By Nick

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Taurus GL in September of 2008 from my friends grandma. The car had only 76,000 miles on it. They had a power steering line replaced before I bought it but nothing prior except oil changes. I have had to replace the rack and pinion, and the starter, but other than that its just been routine maintenance. It has the 3.8 liter engine which I love though it's sometimes difficult to work on due to size. It now has 91,000 miles on it and I still drive it on road trips and it has always done fine. It gets 21 miles to the gallon city driving!!

Favorite Features

The big engine, interior room, body design, could have bought a newer one but i love that body style!

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, more room under hood, changing the rear spark plugs isn't very fun!