Used 1993 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

The Good and the Ugly
By Worst Ford ever made

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

The 93 Taurus was a great car if you got the right one.. The right one was the cheap one, the GL without the 3.8ltr V6, if you got a cheap-o one with the 3.0 and the bench seats these cars were fantastic. I however didn't. I ended up getting a LX wagon, with the 3.8 and all the bells and whistles.. This was a mistake. The transmission was horrible, it would blow through torque converters at least one every 3 months, the electronics were GM 80's quality, where you would only have the AC in the rain, and the window switches would only work if you got them wet first. The Electric seats jammed and would not go forward unless you did the dog but drag on the seat to pull them forward. The stock radio was terrible, even by 1993 standards, the car had another feature that would auto lock the doors, even if you were in park, so if you got out of the car after starting it to warm it up, and closed the door, you had to break into your own car to get back into it. The engine had good torque, and the seats were comfortable, but the quality of the car.. the build quality was something that even Hyundai with an excel surpassed.. I eventually gave up after about 25-30 torque converters and months of loaner cars, and bought a 1999 corolla, which lasted close to 400K miles without a single issue.. The resale of a 1993 taurus in 1999 with 67K miles on it was 3500.00 Worst car ever!

Love at first sight.
By bhuggy

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with exactly 150k miles a little over a year ago. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I saw an ad for it in my hometown. I replaced a few sensors and a muffler and we were good to go! Well.. sort of. Now, I love this car but you need to know what you're getting into. This is not a budget car. Maintenance is not cheap and you can get in over your head if you're not careful. Other than that I swear that a few electrical problems have actually fixed themselves. The alternator used to make the wipers slow down when idling. It hasn't done that since winter. Also the wipers used to stop halfway across the windshield on intermittent but it hasn't done that in a long time.

The 3.0 Yamaha SHO V6 is an incredible engine with a very distinguishable exhaust sound. Lots of options. Gets pretty good MPG. Has a huge trunk even though I almost never use it.

Having a hard time thinking of anything I love this car so much. Have heard the MTX transmission is a little weak but it doesn't bother me. Make sure you replace your rod bearings as the miles get higher.

Reliable and Comfortable
By missnpoppy

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This has been my favorite car. I bought it in '05 with 80k miles on it. I have more than doubled those miles. I have taken it on numerous long trips including a driving vacation last summer from Washington state to lower California and back last summer. I get roughly 26 mpg highway. It is more comfortable than my parents newer Toyota Camry. I drive it hard on highway and rural unpaved country roads. This is one car that I'm going to miss when it finally gives up. I agree with the alignment issues which if you don't take care of regularly will wear out tires. I also have to replace brakes quite often. Other than that just routine maintenance. I definitely will stick with Taurus.

Very comfortable and roomy. I can seat 6 with belts and it has a huge trunk. My husband is amazed with what I can make fit. I like the pull out cup holders in dash. Also larger than most glove compartment which I keep alot of "just in case" stuff in.

Alignment is an issue. Two spark plugs difficult to replace as in hard to reach place.

3.0L Yamaha with MTX, 10th year
By 1993sho3.0

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I am second owner. My first Ford. Drove for 2 weeks before I purchased. Purchased in 2000 for $3,300 at 127K miles, now with 176K miles. Reasonable reliability. 3.0 L Yamaha, VIN Y. No engine problems except oil leak into spark plug wells, which surprisingly did not affect the ignition or wires at all. Unusual failure of front spring bearings, maybe due to improperly performed recall requiring removal of springs? First owner replaced clutch at $49K, still strong. Now using cryogenic brake pads and centrix rotors. Torque steer disappeared with Goodyear Tripletreds.

3.0L Yamaha DOHC still running strong at 176,000. Leather seats very comfortable, easy on back. Handling. Solid feel. Style.

Ford Taurus
By Robert

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the GL model with a 3.8 L engine in fall of 1993. It has low mileage 66K with a history of repair problems. Replaced radiator, AC system. $1200 repair. Recently replaced the engine head gasket. The 3.8 has an aluminum head that warps and ruins the gasket. This problem develops at about 60k or six years on this engine. The replacement gasket is now of better quality being able to withstand the heat and flexing of the engine head. Be prepared to spend about $1500 for this repair. The steering does not stay in alignment and has had numerous alignments. Never had an accident. The fuel pump bearing is noisy and will eventually need replacement. Avoid the 3.8 L engine.

Seating, comfort, handling, engine power.

Better testing and quality control.