Used 1992 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

My 1992 Taurus L Wagon
By lgake4

1992 Ford Taurus L 4dr Wagon

Car starts flawlessly every time, the heater warms up fast. The 3.0 liter, automatic accelerates and shifts swift and smooth and the ride is quiet and smooth as well. There is some roll when cornering hard and fast, what you'd expect from a wagon. Otherwise handling is very good, especially in panic moves/stops. Braking is very good. Interior is roomy (ligitimately can fit 8 passengers), egronomics are excellent, seats are comfortable, original sound system is very good. Reliability is excellent. Have serviced regularly, as suggested, with no problems. Replaced tires/wheel alignment at 57000 mi., front pads at 62000 mi. I am extremely satisfied.

Favorite Features

*Sleek, sporty appearance, very good handling. *Back seat and 3rd seat fold down flush for moving packages, boxes, furniture, equipment, etc. *3rd seat is fun for the kids, great for drive-in movies, "tailgating" and picnics.

Suggested Improvements

Car would be more sporty w/ console and bucket seats.Otherwise, car is a great family and work vehicle w/ plenty of room!

1992 Taurus wagon
By Edgar Latrek

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I have two of these SW from 1992. Both have leaking steering. One has a dead air conditioner. One has a failing transmission. The inadequate air conditioning will freeze you on a cool morning and leave you sweating by 11:00 am. The rear defroster connection wires on both cars failed. Both have barely adequate cooling systems. AC fogs windows exactly where you need to look to see the side mirrors.

Favorite Features

Cargo carrying ability. Appearance. Convenience features.

Suggested Improvements

Whether a Ford Fairmont or the later Taurus, Ford needs to figure out how to make a steering system that won't quit.

Run Away
By schmuck

1992 Ford Taurus L 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car for our college bound daughter, within a week it stranded her: ablown fuse with no known cause. Finally get it back, stranded her again, blown head gasket, leaking radiator, and now the tranny is acting up too. A knowledgible mechanic told to get rid of these before they hit 120k, ours has 101k. I'm looking at a $1000 repair bill on acar that I paid $500 too much for.

Favorite Features

We like all the bells and whistles, power everything, roomy, safe.

Suggested Improvements

Make the head gaskets last longer, beef up the tranny. Why can't an american car go as far as a Honda or Toyota? Why can't a person buy an american car with 101k and get another 101k out of it?

It's all about the engine
By Ben H.

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is an OK value when it comes to used cars; that is, until the car reaches 70k miles or so and blows a head gasket. I have never had a car that has gone to pot with so few miles on it. It was pampered by my grandmother for many years before I got it, so I know that it was taken care of. Since I bought it, it has done nothing to take care of me. I sank nearly $500 into it before I my mechanic informed me that it would need a new head gasket (to the tune of $1500), not to mention developing transmission problems (which could cost an additional $1500). What a lemon! I'll certainly junk it before I sink twice as much as it's worth into repairing it.

Favorite Features

A nice ride and a large trunk make this a good car for highway trips.

Suggested Improvements

FORD, BUILD AN ENGINE THAT WORKS! I very much doubt that consumers will want to purchase any Ford products with such an unreliable engine as the 3.8L V6. I will never again make the same mistake.

Awesome Engine...too bad it's in a Ford!
By 18Driver

1992 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a private owner in 1998 w/71,000 miles on it. Put another 70,000 on it before selling it in 2001. Hands down the Yamaha 3.0 liter is one of the finest 24v V-6's ever made. It's a darn shame they stopped making it. The worst part about this car is the taurus guts. A total piece of garbage. I spent thousands keeping this car absolutely perfect and it still had some small problems when I sold it. It ate struts, brakes, batteries, clutches and had a myriade of electrical problems.

Favorite Features

This engine is a gem! Decent straight line acceleration and makes some great mechanical sounds in the process. Pretty fun car to drive when it's not in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

Put this engine in something other than a heavy, sloppy family sedan built by Ford.