1992 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Do not Buy a Taurus with the 3.8L
By Gene Williamson on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned two Taurus', one with a 3.0 and one with 3.8L. The auto with the 3.0 was a great car. The engine and transmission ran great. Then I purchased a Taurus with the big 3.8L in 1999 with 70k miles on it. I have had transmission problems from day one. The orginal transmission was repaired three times and replaced last year and now it is having problems. Buy the 3.0 stay clear of the 3.8.

More trouble than it's worth
By Camm on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car for 3 years and use it to commute 80 miles round trip. The first year was fine. Since then, the car has had nothing but problems. When cold, the car stalls when starting from a stop - Dealer denies anything wrong. Rear brake auto adjusters - don't. Car has left me stranded twice due to bypass hose bursting - last time it took out my radiatior and water pump too. Would love to leave this car in driveway running in the hope that someone would steal it.

Trouble
By Johnelle on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

More trouble than any car I have had. It would lose power sporadically and company made many repairs and never got it right. I think it was a generic problem with this model but they never admitted it. Poor service from the dealer. I could only drive it near our city because of fear it would conk out. Will never buy another Ford product! Despite the engine troubles, it was a very comfortable and fun car to drive when it was working.

Reliable Construction and Dependable Car
By Debbie Isabella on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle ten years ago and it is still going strong. It is the most dependable car I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded. I've been the recipient of several read-end accidents and my Taurus has taken the impact with minimal damage to the car and myself. The body style changed in the late 90's and my husband drives a 1998 Taurus. I like my model better - roomier on the inside. I'd recommend a Taurus to anyone who likes comfort and dependability. Debbie

Reliable Transportation with no flair
By MEH on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been everything you would want in reliable transportation. Have 105000 miles and have changed rear struts, starter, tires, front brake pads, brake shoes at rear, one emergency brake cable, cv joints because the boots broke and that's it. Haven't even aligned it yet and the tires still wear even.

Good car overall
By d on 03/05/02 13:54 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Quality car for the price.