Used 1992 Ford Taurus GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

taurus
By taurus

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

got the car from my grandmother and had it for a year and took it to a auto shop, they told me i needed inner and outer tie-rod ends cv boots a wheel bearing and struts...the struts were the only thing that shouldve been replaced at that time they said. the tranny felt like it would drop every time i shifted too. also had horrible gas mileage but no reasonable explanation

Favorite Features

comfortable, just not while driving

Suggested Improvements

longer lasting brake system, gas mileage

1992 Taurus GL Sedan
By Geoff

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a family member with 80,000 miles on it for $1,500. Has been nothing but trouble. I've spent much more than it's worth in repairs.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was more reliable.

I hate Fords
By Melissa

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001. The first 2 years or so this car was good. After that everything went wrong. I bought this car for $2000 and now itís not even worth $500 probably. I have put over $1000 in this car in the past 2 months just to make the car run, not anything luxury. The radiator, water pump, fuel pump, computer, and pulley all went bad and a period of 1-2 months. I have probably been able to have the car about 2 weeks out of the past 2 months because this car is always in the shop. In fact I just got the car out of the shop about a week ago and it broke down on me again the SAME day. It went right back into the shop. This car is costing me more to fix it then I paid for the thing.

Favorite Features

Itís very comfortable. And I like the fact that you can fit three people in the front seat instead of 2 like most sedans.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders should be somewhere else not sliding out from underneath the radio. You canít fit large cups in there. I hate it.

somewhat decent value
By guy922

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1992 Taurus GL in may 2003, and I haven't really had any problems with it mechanically,which is a suprise, because it is nearing 150k but for those of us with bench seating in the front, I strongly reccommend a floor tray for beverages, because the drinks can overflow into your radio if you aren't careful. And while I love the strong visual styling, it has a poor fit and finish, and while general cowl is low, the plastic rattles constantly, but i only paid $1000, so if it fails i wont feel like its a great loss.

Favorite Features

power seat, space in cabin and trunk, 3.8 V6 Engine, coin organizer

Suggested Improvements

Ford-pick a better place to place a cupholder, one thats not in the way of the radio, and make the console standard!!!

It's all about the engine
By Ben H.

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is an OK value when it comes to used cars; that is, until the car reaches 70k miles or so and blows a head gasket. I have never had a car that has gone to pot with so few miles on it. It was pampered by my grandmother for many years before I got it, so I know that it was taken care of. Since I bought it, it has done nothing to take care of me. I sank nearly $500 into it before I my mechanic informed me that it would need a new head gasket (to the tune of $1500), not to mention developing transmission problems (which could cost an additional $1500). What a lemon! I'll certainly junk it before I sink twice as much as it's worth into repairing it.

Favorite Features

A nice ride and a large trunk make this a good car for highway trips.

Suggested Improvements

FORD, BUILD AN ENGINE THAT WORKS! I very much doubt that consumers will want to purchase any Ford products with such an unreliable engine as the 3.8L V6. I will never again make the same mistake.