1992 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
1992 Taurus GL Sedan
By Geoff on 10/09/05 12:07 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a family member with 80,000 miles on it for $1,500. Has been nothing but trouble. I've spent much more than it's worth in repairs.

I hate Fords
By Melissa on 10/06/05 18:43 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001. The first 2 years or so this car was good. After that everything went wrong. I bought this car for $2000 and now itís not even worth $500 probably. I have put over $1000 in this car in the past 2 months just to make the car run, not anything luxury. The radiator, water pump, fuel pump, computer, and pulley all went bad and a period of 1-2 months. I have probably been able to have the car about 2 weeks out of the past 2 months because this car is always in the shop. In fact I just got the car out of the shop about a week ago and it broke down on me again the SAME day. It went right back into the shop. This car is costing me more to fix it then I paid for the thing.

I <3 my '92 Taurus GL Wagon!
By Ann M. on 09/12/05 23:19 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I got a great deal on mine since my brother is a car salesman. I paid $1000 for it with only 63,000 miles on it! Although the a/c never worked I love this car. Built like a tank. The only problems I experienced were an radiator leak, electrical issues and a hole in the exhaust (regular wear). I had mechanic friends so repairs were cheap for me. I recently fell victim to 2 accidents in 2 months. Both times I was hit by senior men who shouldn't be driving. My car now has significant cosmetic damage and will cost more than it's worth to fix so I'm trading it in for a '94 Taurus GL sedan ::tear tear:: I would buy it again if given the opportunity!

somewhat decent value
By guy922 on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1992 Taurus GL in may 2003, and I haven't really had any problems with it mechanically,which is a suprise, because it is nearing 150k but for those of us with bench seating in the front, I strongly reccommend a floor tray for beverages, because the drinks can overflow into your radio if you aren't careful. And while I love the strong visual styling, it has a poor fit and finish, and while general cowl is low, the plastic rattles constantly, but i only paid $1000, so if it fails i wont feel like its a great loss.

Great Runner
By RKSKIB on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Bought this car brand new in Jan 1992 and ran it for over 188,000. Just sold it (Dec 2003) to someone at work and car is still in great condition body and mechanically. Has the 3.0 liter v- 6 that is virtually indestructible as long as you maintain it. Original transmission finally went out at 160,000. Only minor rust on bottom of car's tailgate and it was used in the Chicago area the entire time. Only sold it because of great deal on new SUV. I will miss it, but it will give good use to new owners.

My 1992 Taurus L Wagon
By lgake4 on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus L 4dr Wagon

Car starts flawlessly every time, the heater warms up fast. The 3.0 liter, automatic accelerates and shifts swift and smooth and the ride is quiet and smooth as well. There is some roll when cornering hard and fast, what you'd expect from a wagon. Otherwise handling is very good, especially in panic moves/stops. Braking is very good. Interior is roomy (ligitimately can fit 8 passengers), egronomics are excellent, seats are comfortable, original sound system is very good. Reliability is excellent. Have serviced regularly, as suggested, with no problems. Replaced tires/wheel alignment at 57000 mi., front pads at 62000 mi. I am extremely satisfied.

1992 Taurus wagon
By Edgar Latrek on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I have two of these SW from 1992. Both have leaking steering. One has a dead air conditioner. One has a failing transmission. The inadequate air conditioning will freeze you on a cool morning and leave you sweating by 11:00 am. The rear defroster connection wires on both cars failed. Both have barely adequate cooling systems. AC fogs windows exactly where you need to look to see the side mirrors.

Run Away
By schmuck on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus L 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car for our college bound daughter, within a week it stranded her: ablown fuse with no known cause. Finally get it back, stranded her again, blown head gasket, leaking radiator, and now the tranny is acting up too. A knowledgible mechanic told to get rid of these before they hit 120k, ours has 101k. I'm looking at a $1000 repair bill on acar that I paid $500 too much for.

It's all about the engine
By Ben H. on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is an OK value when it comes to used cars; that is, until the car reaches 70k miles or so and blows a head gasket. I have never had a car that has gone to pot with so few miles on it. It was pampered by my grandmother for many years before I got it, so I know that it was taken care of. Since I bought it, it has done nothing to take care of me. I sank nearly $500 into it before I my mechanic informed me that it would need a new head gasket (to the tune of $1500), not to mention developing transmission problems (which could cost an additional $1500). What a lemon! I'll certainly junk it before I sink twice as much as it's worth into repairing it.

Awesome Engine...too bad it's in a Ford!
By 18Driver on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a private owner in 1998 w/71,000 miles on it. Put another 70,000 on it before selling it in 2001. Hands down the Yamaha 3.0 liter is one of the finest 24v V-6's ever made. It's a darn shame they stopped making it. The worst part about this car is the taurus guts. A total piece of garbage. I spent thousands keeping this car absolutely perfect and it still had some small problems when I sold it. It ate struts, brakes, batteries, clutches and had a myriade of electrical problems.