Used 1992 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

I <3 my '92 Taurus GL Wagon!
By Ann M.

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I got a great deal on mine since my brother is a car salesman. I paid $1000 for it with only 63,000 miles on it! Although the a/c never worked I love this car. Built like a tank. The only problems I experienced were an radiator leak, electrical issues and a hole in the exhaust (regular wear). I had mechanic friends so repairs were cheap for me. I recently fell victim to 2 accidents in 2 months. Both times I was hit by senior men who shouldn't be driving. My car now has significant cosmetic damage and will cost more than it's worth to fix so I'm trading it in for a '94 Taurus GL sedan ::tear tear:: I would buy it again if given the opportunity!

Favorite Features

Radio controls on the dash, storage compartment in trunk, incredibly roomy and comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

Poor electrical system.

Great Runner
By RKSKIB

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Bought this car brand new in Jan 1992 and ran it for over 188,000. Just sold it (Dec 2003) to someone at work and car is still in great condition body and mechanically. Has the 3.0 liter v- 6 that is virtually indestructible as long as you maintain it. Original transmission finally went out at 160,000. Only minor rust on bottom of car's tailgate and it was used in the Chicago area the entire time. Only sold it because of great deal on new SUV. I will miss it, but it will give good use to new owners.

Favorite Features

3.0 liter V6 still peppy at 188,000 miles, rides good, great for hauling kids, groceries and large items as rear seats fold down.

Suggested Improvements

Hub cabs attached with screws and over the time I had it, probably replaced 5 hub caps because mechanics would not put screws back in or fasteners in wheel rim that held screws would break.

My 1992 Taurus L Wagon
By lgake4

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon L 4dr Wagon

Car starts flawlessly every time, the heater warms up fast. The 3.0 liter, automatic accelerates and shifts swift and smooth and the ride is quiet and smooth as well. There is some roll when cornering hard and fast, what you'd expect from a wagon. Otherwise handling is very good, especially in panic moves/stops. Braking is very good. Interior is roomy (ligitimately can fit 8 passengers), egronomics are excellent, seats are comfortable, original sound system is very good. Reliability is excellent. Have serviced regularly, as suggested, with no problems. Replaced tires/wheel alignment at 57000 mi., front pads at 62000 mi. I am extremely satisfied.

Favorite Features

*Sleek, sporty appearance, very good handling. *Back seat and 3rd seat fold down flush for moving packages, boxes, furniture, equipment, etc. *3rd seat is fun for the kids, great for drive-in movies, "tailgating" and picnics.

Suggested Improvements

Car would be more sporty w/ console and bucket seats.Otherwise, car is a great family and work vehicle w/ plenty of room!

1992 Taurus wagon
By Edgar Latrek

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I have two of these SW from 1992. Both have leaking steering. One has a dead air conditioner. One has a failing transmission. The inadequate air conditioning will freeze you on a cool morning and leave you sweating by 11:00 am. The rear defroster connection wires on both cars failed. Both have barely adequate cooling systems. AC fogs windows exactly where you need to look to see the side mirrors.

Favorite Features

Cargo carrying ability. Appearance. Convenience features.

Suggested Improvements

Whether a Ford Fairmont or the later Taurus, Ford needs to figure out how to make a steering system that won't quit.

Run Away
By schmuck

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon L 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car for our college bound daughter, within a week it stranded her: ablown fuse with no known cause. Finally get it back, stranded her again, blown head gasket, leaking radiator, and now the tranny is acting up too. A knowledgible mechanic told to get rid of these before they hit 120k, ours has 101k. I'm looking at a $1000 repair bill on acar that I paid $500 too much for.

Favorite Features

We like all the bells and whistles, power everything, roomy, safe.

Suggested Improvements

Make the head gaskets last longer, beef up the tranny. Why can't an american car go as far as a Honda or Toyota? Why can't a person buy an american car with 101k and get another 101k out of it?