1992 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
I <3 my '92 Taurus GL Wagon!
By Ann M. on 09/12/05 23:19 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I got a great deal on mine since my brother is a car salesman. I paid $1000 for it with only 63,000 miles on it! Although the a/c never worked I love this car. Built like a tank. The only problems I experienced were an radiator leak, electrical issues and a hole in the exhaust (regular wear). I had mechanic friends so repairs were cheap for me. I recently fell victim to 2 accidents in 2 months. Both times I was hit by senior men who shouldn't be driving. My car now has significant cosmetic damage and will cost more than it's worth to fix so I'm trading it in for a '94 Taurus GL sedan ::tear tear:: I would buy it again if given the opportunity!

Great Runner
By RKSKIB on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Bought this car brand new in Jan 1992 and ran it for over 188,000. Just sold it (Dec 2003) to someone at work and car is still in great condition body and mechanically. Has the 3.0 liter v- 6 that is virtually indestructible as long as you maintain it. Original transmission finally went out at 160,000. Only minor rust on bottom of car's tailgate and it was used in the Chicago area the entire time. Only sold it because of great deal on new SUV. I will miss it, but it will give good use to new owners.

My 1992 Taurus L Wagon
By lgake4 on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon L 4dr Wagon

Car starts flawlessly every time, the heater warms up fast. The 3.0 liter, automatic accelerates and shifts swift and smooth and the ride is quiet and smooth as well. There is some roll when cornering hard and fast, what you'd expect from a wagon. Otherwise handling is very good, especially in panic moves/stops. Braking is very good. Interior is roomy (ligitimately can fit 8 passengers), egronomics are excellent, seats are comfortable, original sound system is very good. Reliability is excellent. Have serviced regularly, as suggested, with no problems. Replaced tires/wheel alignment at 57000 mi., front pads at 62000 mi. I am extremely satisfied.

1992 Taurus wagon
By Edgar Latrek on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I have two of these SW from 1992. Both have leaking steering. One has a dead air conditioner. One has a failing transmission. The inadequate air conditioning will freeze you on a cool morning and leave you sweating by 11:00 am. The rear defroster connection wires on both cars failed. Both have barely adequate cooling systems. AC fogs windows exactly where you need to look to see the side mirrors.

Run Away
By schmuck on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon L 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car for our college bound daughter, within a week it stranded her: ablown fuse with no known cause. Finally get it back, stranded her again, blown head gasket, leaking radiator, and now the tranny is acting up too. A knowledgible mechanic told to get rid of these before they hit 120k, ours has 101k. I'm looking at a $1000 repair bill on acar that I paid $500 too much for.

0-75000 original owner
By jwilson778 on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Ford knows about and refuses to fix the self destructing AXODE transmission and the head gaskets on the 3.8l for this year. Later years 3.8 head gaskets are fixed under a hidden warranty as may the 91 AXODE trans. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR - you will have head gasket and transmission failure. Interior door panels rattle, cooling system failed. Too bad about the engine/trans otherwise this was a stylish and comfortable car.

0 to 145000 original owner
By DGB on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon L 4dr Wagon

Bought new in 92. 3.0 motor is bullit proof. Uses quart of oil every 2000miles (145000 on odometer). Changed oil every 3000 and trans fluid (key maintenance) every 30k. Air cond still ice cold, just replaced water pump (144k)..rebuilt trans at 112000 (starting to get soft ($1600).I pulled heavy loaded popup trailer on summer vacations. ABS Brake rotors only problem area. Acceleration misfire caused by mass airflow sensor cable, FORD has update..worth the $40.

Good solid car
By joya on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

We found this car to be perfect for our family of 5. It was very comfortable and we felt safe. The 3rd seat in the back came in handy, and we had very few things go wrong with the car. Very reliable!