Used 1992 Ford Taurus SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (3 reviews )

Fun 4 door with some power
By CordiaDOHC

1992 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1992 Ford Taurus SHO from an older family that wanted to get something different for their daughter. The car needed an ignition module and a tuneup. Tuneups on these cars are definitely not as easy as a Mustang or Camaro. I got the car with 160k on it. Fixed the problems and man this thing moves out pretty good. I have driven it on 4 trips already. They rate this car at 26mpg highway. But I averaged 32mpg on a 220 mile trip. Not too bad. The previous owner had removed the exhaust resonator on it. Definitely made the exhaust very distinctive. Definitely been a fun car! And reliable!

Secondaries opening at 4000 rpms!

Honestly the back bumper is just too plain for me. Other than that I would of liked them to have used a bigger fog light bulbs as the factory fog lights are low wattage.

Awesome Engine...too bad it's in a Ford!
By 18Driver

1992 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a private owner in 1998 w/71,000 miles on it. Put another 70,000 on it before selling it in 2001. Hands down the Yamaha 3.0 liter is one of the finest 24v V-6's ever made. It's a darn shame they stopped making it. The worst part about this car is the taurus guts. A total piece of garbage. I spent thousands keeping this car absolutely perfect and it still had some small problems when I sold it. It ate struts, brakes, batteries, clutches and had a myriade of electrical problems.

This engine is a gem! Decent straight line acceleration and makes some great mechanical sounds in the process. Pretty fun car to drive when it's not in the shop.

Put this engine in something other than a heavy, sloppy family sedan built by Ford.

This is NOT your Fathers Ford - the SHO
By HWmR

1992 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

While still put in the ranks of a "Taurus" for far too many classifications (like parts, and even this Edmunds Rating) the SHO is in a class by itselt. The 5-speed high performance engine and interior and exterior design set is apart from the "other" Taurus Fords. At a 1992 sticker price of $28,000 this car was not for the weak of pocketbook. The car to own and drive has been a dream -- every day. 135,000mi and still gowing STRONG!

Many interior lights and great bumber design exterior

Smoother and quieter ride would make it PERFECT.