1992 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
subframe failure
By phtann on 10/25/11 11:20 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Car was overall a decient car for $100.00, however the subframe rusted out at the rear passenger side mount and the subframe dropped out luckly just after exiting the interstate. No I'm not embelishing this story, it's all true!! After finding out there was a safety recall on this car from ford and the National Highway Safety Association. I contacted Ford and was told they would NOTY do anything to help me because of the age of the vehicle. I was also told not to contact them again. i know i only paid $100.00 for the car but I put plenty more into it which I was not able to recover via driving it. The car went to salvage with all the new parts i installed which i got $50.00 after towing.

92 Taurus good car to own
By juanbus12 on 09/08/10 22:09 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My 92 gl has been running good until it hit 155,000 miles the transmission went on it. I had it changed and no problems with it at 165,000 it drives like new.

It still starts
By heather on 08/03/10 09:01 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car 3 yrs ago. It has over 300k on it. Needs shocks, tires, radiator and the air doesn't work. I haven't done oil change, trans fluid change, I fixed the power steering. This car is die hard. And if I ever get the money I will fix the these things.

thought I would never like ford
By Ctpeaches on 08/06/09 20:33 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 106000 miles. It now has 196500. I bought it form an elderly lady that had bought it brand new. Seems all I have been doing is puting new or used parts in it this summer. The suspension in these cars stink. It is too stiff. The roof liner is falling down. had to replace the radiator, hoses and goose neck which still leaks under pressure. All new brake part in the rear. (Disc) used hood and rear passenger door. Easier then replacing the window motor. replaced all other window switches. The rod in the stearing colum broke so I do not need a key to start it. New battery. But the realy scary thing is is she keeps going. Ford did ok with this car. I would buy another one.

Not So Good
By karmcden on 01/16/08 16:12 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I have a lot of miles on this thing and it is not holding up well. I have put more money into it in repairs than what I bought it for. Would have trashed it if I didn't need a car.

taurus
By taurus on 11/07/07 18:31 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

got the car from my grandmother and had it for a year and took it to a auto shop, they told me i needed inner and outer tie-rod ends cv boots a wheel bearing and struts...the struts were the only thing that shouldve been replaced at that time they said. the tranny felt like it would drop every time i shifted too. also had horrible gas mileage but no reasonable explanation

1992 Taurus GL Sedan
By Geoff on 10/09/05 12:07 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a family member with 80,000 miles on it for $1,500. Has been nothing but trouble. I've spent much more than it's worth in repairs.

I hate Fords
By Melissa on 10/06/05 18:43 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001. The first 2 years or so this car was good. After that everything went wrong. I bought this car for $2000 and now itÂ’s not even worth $500 probably. I have put over $1000 in this car in the past 2 months just to make the car run, not anything luxury. The radiator, water pump, fuel pump, computer, and pulley all went bad and a period of 1-2 months. I have probably been able to have the car about 2 weeks out of the past 2 months because this car is always in the shop. In fact I just got the car out of the shop about a week ago and it broke down on me again the SAME day. It went right back into the shop. This car is costing me more to fix it then I paid for the thing.

somewhat decent value
By guy922 on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1992 Taurus GL in may 2003, and I haven't really had any problems with it mechanically,which is a suprise, because it is nearing 150k but for those of us with bench seating in the front, I strongly reccommend a floor tray for beverages, because the drinks can overflow into your radio if you aren't careful. And while I love the strong visual styling, it has a poor fit and finish, and while general cowl is low, the plastic rattles constantly, but i only paid $1000, so if it fails i wont feel like its a great loss.

It's all about the engine
By Ben H. on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is an OK value when it comes to used cars; that is, until the car reaches 70k miles or so and blows a head gasket. I have never had a car that has gone to pot with so few miles on it. It was pampered by my grandmother for many years before I got it, so I know that it was taken care of. Since I bought it, it has done nothing to take care of me. I sank nearly $500 into it before I my mechanic informed me that it would need a new head gasket (to the tune of $1500), not to mention developing transmission problems (which could cost an additional $1500). What a lemon! I'll certainly junk it before I sink twice as much as it's worth into repairing it.