Used 1991 Ford Taurus SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

Never Again
By NEVER AGAIN

1991 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This was a great performing car. Fast, handled great and very comfortable. However, after 6 months, the transmission went out. I took it to a Ford dealer in to have it fixed. $2500. They said it would be guaranteed and covered at any Ford dealer in the US. Well, I moved to GA and the transmission went out again. Dealer said it was my fault for not checking the trans fluid. It was a manual and there was no way of checking it. I had it repaired again. $2500 again. 10 miles after the warranty was up, it went out again and they would not fix it unless I paid another $2500. I gave the car away at that point.

Fast and comfortable.

Stop building cars that do not last.

Taurus SHO 91 1/2 great car !
By Ike

1991 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

My brother bought his Ford Taurus SHO brand new in 1991.Since my brother is serving in the military between the Iraq war and his new duty station in Japan force him to give the SHO keys to me.Our experience with this car is the best ever not toyota or honda can come close to it.Regular maintance was most of the expenses.Right now our SHO has 160,000 miles and feels like new.At 140,000 new clutch,water pump,brakes,fuel pump,high performance exaust, alternator, timing belt, tires, paint job, tuned up, front bearings and oil changes. All this maintenance is regular for any type of car including imports. My final words excellent car built tough to last until 300,000 or more.

Great power all aluminum yamaha engine.Runs so cold it will last a long time. Keeps up with todays cars great looks,exellent handling and pick up I love it.

Front brake rotors need improvement they warp easy. Replace only with Brand name parts for best results.

Sports Sedan On A Budget
By grmc210

1991 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The Taurus SHO is a great car for familys and fun to drive. If you get snow in the winter, it has great traction due to the front wheel drive. It has a nearly bulletproof Yamaha engine, but as for the rest of it, it's a early 90's Ford, and may require some TLC. This car comes loaded from the factory. Usually leather/cloth combination seats, many of them have automatic climate controls and most of the options you would find on today's sport sedans. Don't expect to get one for the $1700 that this site suggests as high end. A '91 SHO in decent shape is probably going to run around $3000 or maybe a little bit more.

The look of surprise on the face of people who think that they have a quick car when you blow by them. Also, this car runs under the radar for most cops... a sports car looks like a sports car, this car looks like a really nice Taurus family car that just so happens to be very quick.

Finding qualified people to work on this car can be difficult due to the engine type and transmission/transaxle combination. I suggest taking it to a Ford dealer where they usally have someone who at least knows what a SHO is.

91 plus SHO
By shokid24

1991 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

the 91 plus option is so mean looking, it can kill. the engine is a 3.0 liter yamaha. the 220 hp is nice, and @6800 ft pounds of tq. is quite exciting. mine is the emerald green option which i beleve only 900 were made. i have a mazda transmission, all of which that are on the car is stock. the slicer rims are sleek, and sexy. the car is so fun to drive, fast of course, when road conditions permit. although SHOs do have significant maintenence required, but i beleive it is well worth it.

my fav. feature is the gen. one slicer rims. the silver looks so nice when passing by a glass building.

some improvement that i would have liked to see would be that the cars accesories could handle the power of the engine.

This is not your fathers sho
By James H. Murray

1991 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I have been a sho owner senice 1997 and it has been a love hate relateshoip since day one. The car is one of the fast best looking fun to drive cars on the road. But on the other side of the coin unless you enjoy turning your own wreches you will be your meches best friends. My car eats front brake like they are made of paper. About once a year I have a problem that I must take to my mechice to fix(crank pos. senor,clutch). But be side that it has been a great car to own.