Used 1991 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Money Pit
By Samantha

1991 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This car is basically a money pit. I'd be better off financially by throwing my wages into the fireplace. Everything on this car has broken. The transmission is appalling. This car is disgustingly unreliable. I would not buy another Ford product. In fact, I wouldn't even take one for free.

Favorite Features

Sound system... that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap it and buy something reliable.

never again!
By bmc

1991 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

It seems like everything that could have gone wrong on this car did. I replaced the oil pump the first week I owned the car. The transmission needed a rebuild, the engine had constant problems and even the front tie rods were falling apart. After $5000 it still didn't run and I gave up and ditched it. They are throw away cars and avoid them.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car with quality parts and stand behind your products!

Don't buy this car
By alviesfamily

1991 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

We bought this car hoping that it would be a reliable family car, and from the very beginning this car has given us nothing but problems. Every month something goes wrong. We have had to in two years replace just about every major part (minus the transmission) of the car. If you want a car that will run well and be reliable take your money somewhere else. Ford Taurus's are terrible cars. I will never buy a midsize ford again.

Worst car on the road
By rkuef

1991 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I've noticed most of the good reviews are in regards to the SHO. SHO may be a better car; I had a '91 GL Wagon I bought in '96 with 65K on it. I never put more than 6K on it per year. I couldn't, it was never out of the shop. Whenever I told a mechanic I had a Taurus, they'd reply, "I'm sorry to hear that." There was no end of trouble with suspension, alignment, and sealed bearings. The alignment was so bad the tires went bald on a 500 mile trip and nearly killed me. After the second time the transmission went out I'd had enough. If you get this car, drive it straight to hell, because that's where it belongs.

Favorite Features

The comfortable interior makes Taurus a favorite of rental car companies.

Suggested Improvements

Victim compensation to owners and former owners.

good car? i say no...
By anti-ford

1991 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

this is a terrible used car. these cars no matter what engine you have in them are bound to die on you when it's least convenient. iv'e had to replace the transmission on mine three times and in the end, it caught on fire. i recommend staying away from these cars. the 3.8L engine is built sound, at least for me, but the transmissions aren't worth the cheap paint that covers the body.

Favorite Features

roomy....thats it!

Suggested Improvements

better transmission, better customer service, interior materials, etc..