1991 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Never Again
By NEVER AGAIN on 08/11/08 06:22 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

This was a great performing car. Fast, handled great and very comfortable. However, after 6 months, the transmission went out. I took it to a Ford dealer in to have it fixed. $2500. They said it would be guaranteed and covered at any Ford dealer in the US. Well, I moved to GA and the transmission went out again. Dealer said it was my fault for not checking the trans fluid. It was a manual and there was no way of checking it. I had it repaired again. $2500 again. 10 miles after the warranty was up, it went out again and they would not fix it unless I paid another $2500. I gave the car away at that point.

Money Pit
By Samantha on 10/11/06 23:25 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This car is basically a money pit. I'd be better off financially by throwing my wages into the fireplace. Everything on this car has broken. The transmission is appalling. This car is disgustingly unreliable. I would not buy another Ford product. In fact, I wouldn't even take one for free.

Taurus SHO 91 1/2 great car !
By Ike on 08/13/05 19:44 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

My brother bought his Ford Taurus SHO brand new in 1991.Since my brother is serving in the military between the Iraq war and his new duty station in Japan force him to give the SHO keys to me.Our experience with this car is the best ever not toyota or honda can come close to it.Regular maintance was most of the expenses.Right now our SHO has 160,000 miles and feels like new.At 140,000 new clutch,water pump,brakes,fuel pump,high performance exaust, alternator, timing belt, tires, paint job, tuned up, front bearings and oil changes. All this maintenance is regular for any type of car including imports. My final words excellent car built tough to last until 300,000 or more.

never again!
By bmc on 08/04/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

It seems like everything that could have gone wrong on this car did. I replaced the oil pump the first week I owned the car. The transmission needed a rebuild, the engine had constant problems and even the front tie rods were falling apart. After $5000 it still didn't run and I gave up and ditched it. They are throw away cars and avoid them.

Low Cost Car
By 1991 Ford T on 06/25/05 23:17 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 99,000 miles. Since then, I've put 81,000 miles on it over 6 years. While some of my friends have spent over $50,000 to get new vehicles two or three times over the past six years and dealt with major mechanical problems on these new vehicles, I've only had to replace the water pump and pay for regular maintenance on the Taurus that cost only a fraction of their vehicles.

Don't Laugh It's Paid For
By singnchef on 01/03/05 22:53 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 76,000 miles on it. I have had no trouble at all. She runs like a dream. We average about 27 mpg on the road. The only thing I have had to do is change the plugs and oil. It only uses 1/3rd quart oil per 1000 miles.

Sports Sedan On A Budget
By grmc210 on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The Taurus SHO is a great car for familys and fun to drive. If you get snow in the winter, it has great traction due to the front wheel drive. It has a nearly bulletproof Yamaha engine, but as for the rest of it, it's a early 90's Ford, and may require some TLC. This car comes loaded from the factory. Usually leather/cloth combination seats, many of them have automatic climate controls and most of the options you would find on today's sport sedans. Don't expect to get one for the $1700 that this site suggests as high end. A '91 SHO in decent shape is probably going to run around $3000 or maybe a little bit more.

91 plus SHO
By shokid24 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

the 91 plus option is so mean looking, it can kill. the engine is a 3.0 liter yamaha. the 220 hp is nice, and @6800 ft pounds of tq. is quite exciting. mine is the emerald green option which i beleve only 900 were made. i have a mazda transmission, all of which that are on the car is stock. the slicer rims are sleek, and sexy. the car is so fun to drive, fast of course, when road conditions permit. although SHOs do have significant maintenence required, but i beleive it is well worth it.

ford taurus
By marie ann on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I own one and it drives very well.

Good utility car
By l1049g on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Basically a good car. Hatch lid came from factory misfitted to car and cannot be corrected. Air conditioner and head gaskets replaced at 55,000 miles, but otherwise average on repair.