Used 1991 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

one the few 1991 taurus sho's left for 2016
By max

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

i bought this car in june 1999 at a toyota car dealship. the car didn't feel right as compared to the rave performance reviews. the car would brake on its own after a couple of miles. i would drive it for a couple of miles a day. for 14 years. the car is forest green metallic and is cleaned once a week with nu finish. it has a mirror like shine. 14 years of insults from my family and friends i endured for buying this car. for some unknown reason i kept the car in the garage. then the last two years i decided to restore the 91 sho. i totally replaced the suspension system (springs, struts, bearing plates, etc) and the brake system is totally replaced (brake master cylinder, brake booster, brake calipers, brake rotors, etc.) and to my surprise the 91 sho drives like new and much faster than before. i spent 1500.00 in repair and 1700.00 in restoration parts. the engine had 66,000 thousand miles. today total mileage is 106,000 miles. my daughter drives this car and is totally attached to it through bad and now good times. she anticipates driving it daily.

Never Again
By NEVER AGAIN

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

This was a great performing car. Fast, handled great and very comfortable. However, after 6 months, the transmission went out. I took it to a Ford dealer in to have it fixed. $2500. They said it would be guaranteed and covered at any Ford dealer in the US. Well, I moved to GA and the transmission went out again. Dealer said it was my fault for not checking the trans fluid. It was a manual and there was no way of checking it. I had it repaired again. $2500 again. 10 miles after the warranty was up, it went out again and they would not fix it unless I paid another $2500. I gave the car away at that point.

Fast and comfortable.

Stop building cars that do not last.

Money Pit
By Samantha

1991 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This car is basically a money pit. I'd be better off financially by throwing my wages into the fireplace. Everything on this car has broken. The transmission is appalling. This car is disgustingly unreliable. I would not buy another Ford product. In fact, I wouldn't even take one for free.

Sound system... that's about it.

Scrap it and buy something reliable.

Taurus SHO 91 1/2 great car !
By Ike

1991 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

My brother bought his Ford Taurus SHO brand new in 1991.Since my brother is serving in the military between the Iraq war and his new duty station in Japan force him to give the SHO keys to me.Our experience with this car is the best ever not toyota or honda can come close to it.Regular maintance was most of the expenses.Right now our SHO has 160,000 miles and feels like new.At 140,000 new clutch,water pump,brakes,fuel pump,high performance exaust, alternator, timing belt, tires, paint job, tuned up, front bearings and oil changes. All this maintenance is regular for any type of car including imports. My final words excellent car built tough to last until 300,000 or more.

Great power all aluminum yamaha engine.Runs so cold it will last a long time. Keeps up with todays cars great looks,exellent handling and pick up I love it.

Front brake rotors need improvement they warp easy. Replace only with Brand name parts for best results.

never again!
By bmc

1991 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

It seems like everything that could have gone wrong on this car did. I replaced the oil pump the first week I owned the car. The transmission needed a rebuild, the engine had constant problems and even the front tie rods were falling apart. After $5000 it still didn't run and I gave up and ditched it. They are throw away cars and avoid them.

Nothing.

Build a car with quality parts and stand behind your products!