1990 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
It's a Ford
By loves my ford on 01/15/05 02:12 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Reliable if you take care of it. That car was awesome, bought used in '97. Nothing went wrong until few months ago. Great reliable car up until I left the lights on. Twice. Had to replace battery and alternator. Didn't fix problem, then I needed a map sensor, whatever that is. Still died on me. Then a completely different problem that same month; ignition module. Didnt help nor did a tune up. My fault, didn't change oil on time, drove on empty, never got transmission fluid flushed, etc. Great reliable car while it lasted. Only buy with low mileage.

The almost car of my dreams
By Chris v. on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is one of the most interesing car i have ever owned. When I first bought my Taurus it was fun, reliable, clean and all over nice. But six mouths later that all changed. I ended up spending close to $2000 to get my car fixed. And ever since then my car has went down hill. I love my car but i think it is time for us to part.

Bad Year for Taurus
By BeltwayBurnout on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used with 22,000 miles on it. At first it was a pleasure to drive. The first two years I put 250 miles a day driving to and from work. Not long after I bought it I was replacing parts. A new radiator. A new air conditioning compressor. A new muffler. And brakes -- never could get them fixed properly. Electrical problems left and right. Several wheel boots that froze with winter ice and snow -- that was a bummer. I understand that this was a very bad year to buy a Taurus.

Great in its day
By Adam0331 on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Back in 1990 the Taurus was perhaps the best in the "family car" class. I ran the car over 200,000 miles with surprisingly few problems. Nothing flashy but it was a runner. Only recurring problem was a TFI module Ford would not recall. Skipped to Honda Accord in 1998. Sorry Ford, while you were ahead in 1990, by '98 you were not.

taurus problems
By Melvin on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan L 4dr Sedan

stalls often cant find out what it is transmition problems advice do not buy for a first car for teenagers

Not a bad car to me
By leepenfield on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for well under what the retail value is..and it was in good shape. Well maintained, it has not shown the slightest sign of unreliability. It is my daily driver and many times is forced to sit and idle for long periods of time.

Taurus' Rock
By myartar on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The '90 Taurus was my first car, and I beat the living crap out of it. I would drive 60+mph on country dirt roads, drive it across fields, and all kinds of things you're not suppost to do in a "family car." The amazing thing was that even with the beating I gave this car, it kept on going. Only problems I ever had were minor things that come w/ age. It was hard to part w/ this beast of the suburbs, but I needed something good for long trips, and while I loved the Taurus, it's fuel economy wasn't the greatest.

Taurus : A Great Car That Falls Apart
By Ford Guy on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan L 4dr Sedan

The '86-'91 Ford Taurus starts life as a great car. It has a good ride, seats 6, looks good inside and out, and is relatively comfortable. It is also really fun to drive for an affordable family sedan. For the first 5 years you will love it. However, after 5 years you will start to hate it. Things start to make noise, alternators die every 4 years, and other things go wrong. My advise would be to buy a Taurus with VERY low mileage. As long as it isn't worn out, the '86-'91 Ford Taurus is a great car. Just watch out for the higher mileage vehicles.

never buy another ford
By chan on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car with 60000 miles has had water pump($350), 4 altnators($500), heater leak($600)and transmission acts funny. other cars i have owned (Honda's) have never had problems like these. Next Ford I get will have to be 1948 or older.