1990 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
It's a Ford
By loves my ford on 01/15/05 02:12 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

Reliable if you take care of it. That car was awesome, bought used in '97. Nothing went wrong until few months ago. Great reliable car up until I left the lights on. Twice. Had to replace battery and alternator. Didn't fix problem, then I needed a map sensor, whatever that is. Still died on me. Then a completely different problem that same month; ignition module. Didnt help nor did a tune up. My fault, didn't change oil on time, drove on empty, never got transmission fluid flushed, etc. Great reliable car while it lasted. Only buy with low mileage.

Great in its day
By Adam0331 on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

Back in 1990 the Taurus was perhaps the best in the "family car" class. I ran the car over 200,000 miles with surprisingly few problems. Nothing flashy but it was a runner. Only recurring problem was a TFI module Ford would not recall. Skipped to Honda Accord in 1998. Sorry Ford, while you were ahead in 1990, by '98 you were not.

taurus problems
By Melvin on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

stalls often cant find out what it is transmition problems advice do not buy for a first car for teenagers

Not a bad car to me
By leepenfield on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for well under what the retail value is..and it was in good shape. Well maintained, it has not shown the slightest sign of unreliability. It is my daily driver and many times is forced to sit and idle for long periods of time.

Taurus : A Great Car That Falls Apart
By Ford Guy on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

The '86-'91 Ford Taurus starts life as a great car. It has a good ride, seats 6, looks good inside and out, and is relatively comfortable. It is also really fun to drive for an affordable family sedan. For the first 5 years you will love it. However, after 5 years you will start to hate it. Things start to make noise, alternators die every 4 years, and other things go wrong. My advise would be to buy a Taurus with VERY low mileage. As long as it isn't worn out, the '86-'91 Ford Taurus is a great car. Just watch out for the higher mileage vehicles.