Used 1990 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

It's a Ford
By loves my ford

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

Reliable if you take care of it. That car was awesome, bought used in '97. Nothing went wrong until few months ago. Great reliable car up until I left the lights on. Twice. Had to replace battery and alternator. Didn't fix problem, then I needed a map sensor, whatever that is. Still died on me. Then a completely different problem that same month; ignition module. Didnt help nor did a tune up. My fault, didn't change oil on time, drove on empty, never got transmission fluid flushed, etc. Great reliable car while it lasted. Only buy with low mileage.

Favorite Features

Power, reliable (at least it was), exterior body looks great, comfortable, great acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is terrible.

Fast and quick
By Stepheng

1990 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

A fast 5-speed car with great handling with good high preformance car. Bad for tranmission problems because I put in 2 of them and the trans when it breaks it leaks on the clutch making it a replacment too. Hard on the front drive axels being replaced about 3 times too. Motor is still great and not burning oil or knocking on startup.

Favorite Features

Motor will last and transmission if you don't drive it hard all the time which is hard when you have all the power.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission needs to be beefed up more than the 1995 trans. that I put in which has an extra piece of aluminum plate added.

The almost car of my dreams
By Chris v.

1990 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This is one of the most interesing car i have ever owned. When I first bought my Taurus it was fun, reliable, clean and all over nice. But six mouths later that all changed. I ended up spending close to $2000 to get my car fixed. And ever since then my car has went down hill. I love my car but i think it is time for us to part.

Favorite Features

The all power interior,moon roof,six speaker premium sound system,leather interior,electronic cluster, power antenna,and the keyless intry.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage, electrical system, and the engine style.

Bad Year for Taurus
By BeltwayBurnout

1990 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used with 22,000 miles on it. At first it was a pleasure to drive. The first two years I put 250 miles a day driving to and from work. Not long after I bought it I was replacing parts. A new radiator. A new air conditioning compressor. A new muffler. And brakes -- never could get them fixed properly. Electrical problems left and right. Several wheel boots that froze with winter ice and snow -- that was a bummer. I understand that this was a very bad year to buy a Taurus.

Favorite Features

Lots of power features on the LX model. Very user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension. Rearend always feels mushy with people sitting in the rear seat. Standard 200 HP would have been better.

Great in its day
By Adam0331

1990 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan

Back in 1990 the Taurus was perhaps the best in the "family car" class. I ran the car over 200,000 miles with surprisingly few problems. Nothing flashy but it was a runner. Only recurring problem was a TFI module Ford would not recall. Skipped to Honda Accord in 1998. Sorry Ford, while you were ahead in 1990, by '98 you were not.

Favorite Features

Torque torque torque, great style, rugged (could handle a hail storm)

Suggested Improvements

Make a high HP engine that gets good fuel economy for once!