New in 2009
By ww6stl on
2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
My wife & I got this new in 2009 as we have 4 kids to transport, at the time from 16 down to 6 and sports from soccer to cheerleading. As of August 2012 it has 125000 miles. If I were on a budget, this is not a car to rack up miles. The radio has never worked properly and was replaced by dealer 2 times; the transmission was replaced at our cost for $3.8K 2 months ago (I have since learned the tranny is an issue on these vehicles); the power steering is on its way out and if I do everything myself it will be another $500 and if I don't $1000. I am on 3rd set of tires (average quality from Sams) on 3rd set of brakes. Mileage on highway between 22.2 and 24.1 even now.
Favorite Features
The only good feature I have found is that I CAN carry all six of our family at one time. Truly nothing else is of note on this vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
(1) Figure out what is up with power steering. Over 30 web sites have the same complaint, and the same as me. The steering goes out at low speeds and whines. This started 10,000 miles ago and have tried all the usual remedies. (2) Figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Several shops REFUSED to look at it, finally found an independent shop, he researched the parts, and determined a viable, but costly, solution. (3) Figure out why the brakes go out, some may say 41,500 per set is okay, but seems short lived to me. (4) How about common sense design? In the rain, when the tailgate goes up and you are next to it, get ready for all the rain water to come down on you as it collects in the gate
By mda1
on 03/02/13 13:04 PM (PST)

I am curious what the issue was with your transmission. Twice I have had the engine of my 2008 Taurus X start to strain, engine warning lights go on, and the speedometer go to zero. The first time I let it rest and it started up fine, the second time I had it towed to my mechanic, who thought it was the transmission (and researched the cost to replace - which he found to be around $5k!) but then the next day it ran fine so it was decided not to worry about it. This has now happened for the third time and I am looking for a solution.