Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

Most Helpful|
1st 25K
By shelbysaab

2008 Ford Taurus X Eddie Bauer 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall we are VERY please with this Ford. We believe we got alot for our money. It drives as nice as many luxury cars and can haul more than most pick up trucks. Luv Mult-sync, works very well. Ford should promote this vehicle more!

Favorite Features

Easy to fold rear seats flat. Comfortable ride !

Suggested Improvements

Smooth out the transmission shifting abit more. Soften interior materials

A good vehicle to consider
By mdc78

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the Taurus X a month ago. The mileage is accurate from the EPA sticker. I get a little more than 24mpg straight highway driving. My shorter commute of 19 miles with one stop to drop off the kids gives about 20.5mpg. I can't fault the mpg for a large car. I would recommend this car if you wanted a people mover and wanted to buy American. My Taurus will seat 7 in comfort. While not as roomy as a true minivan, it gets the job done. I find this car to be capable in snow and icy conditions. I love the ESP; this keeps the rear end from sliding out when turning. This car feels very secure and well planted in adverse conditions. Consider this or the similar Flex for your next purchase.

Favorite Features

Sync is my favorite feature. While my phone doesn't support all of the car's features, sync is still a fun feature. Again ABS and the stability program is the most useful feature. I would not buy another car without ESP.

Suggested Improvements

The Taurus X has an issue with the paint on the leading edge of the hood. The paint on many models is bubbling. The dealer said there was a TSB for this issue and would be fixed under warranty. I did not consider this a deal breaker. I will get it fixed later and hope it holds up.

New in 2009
By ww6stl

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife & I got this new in 2009 as we have 4 kids to transport, at the time from 16 down to 6 and sports from soccer to cheerleading. As of August 2012 it has 125000 miles. If I were on a budget, this is not a car to rack up miles. The radio has never worked properly and was replaced by dealer 2 times; the transmission was replaced at our cost for $3.8K 2 months ago (I have since learned the tranny is an issue on these vehicles); the power steering is on its way out and if I do everything myself it will be another $500 and if I don't $1000. I am on 3rd set of tires (average quality from Sams) on 3rd set of brakes. Mileage on highway between 22.2 and 24.1 even now.

Favorite Features

The only good feature I have found is that I CAN carry all six of our family at one time. Truly nothing else is of note on this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

(1) Figure out what is up with power steering. Over 30 web sites have the same complaint, and the same as me. The steering goes out at low speeds and whines. This started 10,000 miles ago and have tried all the usual remedies. (2) Figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Several shops REFUSED to look at it, finally found an independent shop, he researched the parts, and determined a viable, but costly, solution. (3) Figure out why the brakes go out, some may say 41,500 per set is okay, but seems short lived to me. (4) How about common sense design? In the rain, when the tailgate goes up and you are next to it, get ready for all the rain water to come down on you as it collects in the gate

Best Vehicle Owned
By mike

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Owned a Honda Pilot and the Taurus X by far is a better vehicle. Ride, interior quality, and fuel economy is good. the all wheel drive is great.

Favorite Features

remote opening tailgate, sirius radio, sunroof and leather.

Suggested Improvements

volume control on the steering wheel. the vehicle has the sync system is these controls take up this spot.

I really like this car
By barmisho

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I did buy this car 6 month ago with 75K miles on it. No problems at all. Great engine and confortable interior. A little noisy in high RPM. I had 7 different vehicles in the last 2 years including Mazda, Toyota, Pontiac, Chevrolet and Ford, but this is the car I like the most. I really good CUV

Favorite Features

Engine very reliable, interior space more then you expect for a car this size, fuel economy, I get 24 MPG highway, 18 MPG city, A lot of space, fit all my things

Suggested Improvements

Engine a little noisy at high RPM, inaccurate steering, painting quality.