Used 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

We enjoy it every time
By FR@NK

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I really like my crossover. It has space, safety, and looks. Very smooth drive and excellent for the kids. All I need now is a DVD to complete the package.

Sync

Third row seats need to be easier to fold

Great car, terrible marketing by Ford
By BNSF616

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our beloved and generally reliable '99 Dodge Grand Caravan had 135K mi and was beginning to worry us on road trips. I had been aware of this Ford design since it debuted as the '05 Freestyle. Found a pristine '08 (19K mi) at the dealer, test-drove it several times and finally bought it. It's hard to imagine a more versatile daily driver -- RAV4 and CRV, maybe. What is just amazing to me is how incompetently Ford marketed and advertised this vehicle. We've received nothing but compliments and admiring questions from total strangers, and they invariably say "Never heard of it." Sadly, Ford is killing production in Feb 2009 after only two model years. This is tragic and stupid.

Overall comfort, ride, handling, flexible interior, build quality, long list of standard features, smooth and abundant power.

Fuel economy isn't great, but we knew that going in. EPA numbers (17/24) are almost exactly what we get, although careful and sensible highway cruising may squeeze a little more. Abundant power (60% more hp than our old van at roughly the same weight) eases the pain a bit.

Changed from a van
By Jane Hullinger

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I went looking for a van, but found this Taurus X with 8,000 miles on the lot. After driving it, I bought it. The second row seats are an easier height to get into than a van, but I miss the armrests, as my Taurus X doesn't have them. I was told mileage would be 25-30 on highway, but I don't get that good. About 23.3 catches me most of the time as I live in a rural area, and do small-town driving plus some highway. I have only driven about 4000 miles so far, and have had no problems.

Engine is pretty snappy, turning radius is very good, interior is nice. Has a lot of options available that weren't on this model, and I would have bought a few more if I had ordered it new. Had room for all my stuff without appearing to be overfull.

Fuel economy needs to be improved. This is better than my van was, but not as good as I had hoped for. I would like a little sportier exterior, but the interior matters more to me.

Taurus X Review
By Terry

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Fantastic car. My wife and I drive it and love it. Very comfortable ride and very quiet. If I stay off the pedal the mileage ain't too bad.

Fold flat seats in the back.

Great Family Car
By Ford Family

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased about the most basic Taurus X with 7 seats. I am amazed at all the features that are standard. Every safety feature I know of is standard and the highest crash test rating. I think these are important to all families with children. I don't feel I need any other features. Car is very comfortable and spacious. I recently went on a 5 hour trip with 4 adults and 2 kids (in car seats). Packed the car full, but enough room all and plenty comfortable. Should be room enough for 6 person family with luggage. Having 7 seats is also useful around town. This was the best vehicle (SUV, Minivan, Crossover) for the money. Paid just over $22k for all I needed and more.

Auxilary input (for mp3 player). All safety features. Highly configurable. Can change from 7 passenger car to lumber (10ft) hauler to 2 minutes. Plenty of options in between. Best utilty of CUV I've seen. Every feature I would want on a car. Plenty of power and handles like a car.

Gas mileage good but not great. Rated at 24 mpg highway, I should reach 28 mpg the way I drive. I have only gotten near 25 mpg in limited driving but it may increase. With high gas Ford should increase fuel 2-3 mpg without problem. They could offer around 30 less HP and more MPG as option.