Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus-x - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

Most Helpful|
A good vehicle to consider
By mdc78

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the Taurus X a month ago. The mileage is accurate from the EPA sticker. I get a little more than 24mpg straight highway driving. My shorter commute of 19 miles with one stop to drop off the kids gives about 20.5mpg. I can't fault the mpg for a large car. I would recommend this car if you wanted a people mover and wanted to buy American. My Taurus will seat 7 in comfort. While not as roomy as a true minivan, it gets the job done. I find this car to be capable in snow and icy conditions. I love the ESP; this keeps the rear end from sliding out when turning. This car feels very secure and well planted in adverse conditions. Consider this or the similar Flex for your next purchase.

Favorite Features

Sync is my favorite feature. While my phone doesn't support all of the car's features, sync is still a fun feature. Again ABS and the stability program is the most useful feature. I would not buy another car without ESP.

Suggested Improvements

The Taurus X has an issue with the paint on the leading edge of the hood. The paint on many models is bubbling. The dealer said there was a TSB for this issue and would be fixed under warranty. I did not consider this a deal breaker. I will get it fixed later and hope it holds up.

New in 2009
By ww6stl

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife & I got this new in 2009 as we have 4 kids to transport, at the time from 16 down to 6 and sports from soccer to cheerleading. As of August 2012 it has 125000 miles. If I were on a budget, this is not a car to rack up miles. The radio has never worked properly and was replaced by dealer 2 times; the transmission was replaced at our cost for $3.8K 2 months ago (I have since learned the tranny is an issue on these vehicles); the power steering is on its way out and if I do everything myself it will be another $500 and if I don't $1000. I am on 3rd set of tires (average quality from Sams) on 3rd set of brakes. Mileage on highway between 22.2 and 24.1 even now.

Favorite Features

The only good feature I have found is that I CAN carry all six of our family at one time. Truly nothing else is of note on this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

(1) Figure out what is up with power steering. Over 30 web sites have the same complaint, and the same as me. The steering goes out at low speeds and whines. This started 10,000 miles ago and have tried all the usual remedies. (2) Figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Several shops REFUSED to look at it, finally found an independent shop, he researched the parts, and determined a viable, but costly, solution. (3) Figure out why the brakes go out, some may say 41,500 per set is okay, but seems short lived to me. (4) How about common sense design? In the rain, when the tailgate goes up and you are next to it, get ready for all the rain water to come down on you as it collects in the gate

Love the get up and go
By 65mustang

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This little unit really goes and I love that. I guess the trade-off is poor MPG. It is a disappointment there is no space under the seats in the back for storage. Bench seats not so comfortable for long rides. One of my other favorite things is that is doesn't beep when you lock it - I HATE that! I bought this because the Flex is about the ugliest thing I've seen but I like being up higher and don't like SUV's. The Tauras X provides pretty good visibility all around. I will also miss the read heat controls of the Windstar I LOVED. I don't like the gear shifter where it is but if it provides a much higher level of safety, I will adjust.

Favorite Features

The acceleration The height of the vehicle The seats fold independently of each other No beep at lock up No problem if you lock your keys in the vehicle I like the little mirror inside for seeing the entire vehicle -clever.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage Under seat storage I would like the middle front storage lowered and a movable arm rest installed. Improved color choices. Storage in the doors like the Windstar. Armrests for back seats Luggage rack standard on all.

2008 TaurusX
By JRNFL

2008 Ford Taurus X Eddie Bauer 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Before I got serious about my car shopping, I'd never heard of the TaurusX and I swore I would never own a Ford. The TX changed my mind and I got a great deal in 2009 on a left over 2008. Too bad for Ford that they didn't bother to advertise and tout this vehicle as it is a great vehicle. I really love the power and although I really tried, I couldn't find any major faults with the car. It's been over a year and about 17,000 miles and only routine maintenance. It was a good buy and one I would repeat if it were needed. I recommend it to others.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Improve the roof rack by adding cross bars; provide a rear door window that actually goes up and down to provide more accessibility and ventilation.

This is my first Ford ever...Love it.
By nottafordguy

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought with 110k. Well I got rid of my mid-life crisis mobile (a Crossfire) to accomodate a dog and clients. I have a large boxer. She hates bucket seats so this vehicle didn't help in that regard (all six seats are buckets)...but here's an easy fix! I folded the rear seats down. I then duct-taped foam to three planks I got from walmart and wrapped in blanket material to match the vehicle interior. The planks fit over the ridge (where the cupholders are) so they are perfectly flat and sit without moving. I ran three planks across the width of the vehicle, covered them with a blanket and voila' - dog bed. She has the most comfortable ride in the vehicle. This is a good ride all around!

Favorite Features

Love all the 12 volt outlets and the audio input under the arm rest. I bought a $25 blue tooth that plugs into the audio and my phone syncs up with the car audio so I can stream pandora and use the Google Maps navigation like the big boys! The hands-free calling works great too. (not sure if I like the fact that it stays active with the car off or not...won't that run the battery down?). The sound system is really nice and there is no engine noise even when playing through the audio port. AMPLE Storage: theres a pop-up on the dash, the glovebox, sunglass holder on the ceiling, and storage bins between the first and second row of seats and room for boxes behind the last row of seats.

Suggested Improvements

City mileage is 15mpg. Could be better. Hwy is 25mpg. Molding around the bottom seems kind of flimsy (and in my case, one side is popped out). I'll revisit this if I find anything wrong but I have very few complaints!