Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus-x - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

New to me new
By mstire1

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just got my car in April, has about 90,000 miles on it. Love it! I traded in a Cadillac STS for it, wish I would have found this before the caddy. It all around is a better car than the cadillac was. I am getting usually 24 mpg highway, so very pleased with that. I cant believe just how much storage this car has, its awesome! Really quite noisy when going over bumps-my mechanic doesn't know why(thats a bad thing) and seats are not very comfy for longer trips :(

Favorite Features

I love the in dash storage and the door pockets, so very helpful. The heated mirrors are a plus. Very sharp looking car, lots of compliments on it. So nice to have the only one in my area! lol

Suggested Improvements

Really noisy when you drive over bumps- not sure why. Seats are not comfortable at all, wouldn't have taken much to improve them at all. :( Make 3rd row windows able to open, remote open for tailgate would also be handy.

Ford Got it Right!
By Steve in PA

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this because I wanted more space to move whatever I have to when necessary, but I don't need to drive around in a huge truck. I have three small kids, and they fit in here very nicely. It's easier to buckle them into the back seats than in my girlfriend's minivan. So far the car has been reliable, comfortable, and very practical. On the other hand, the OEM Continental tires handle sloppily- had the same issue with my '03 Mercury Sable, switched to Goodrich, wow! I did have a problem where the Check Engine light would come on; diagnosed as bad camshaft sensors, replaced under warranty and they gave me a loaner car. Timing chain guide was noisy, same deal.

Favorite Features

Drive height, cargo capacity, performance,feature set, SYNC (it works!), no horn-honk when you lock w/ the remote, lights only come on w/the remote @night, retained accessory power, USB port

Suggested Improvements

Don't sacrifice audio controls for SYNC on the steering wheel; make crossbars available that fit the roof rails, better OEM tires, low-level ambient lighting over the center console, a little more room for driver's thigh (rubs the console), LEDs all around instead of just in the rear

Versatile Vehicle
By etx

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the quietest vehicle we have driven. The vehicle has excellent cargo space. Third row seating is adequately comfortable. Sound is good. We are happy with the mileage. We have gotten over 24 mph on road trips. We are not happy with the myriad of heater/ac controls that are hard to see and control from the driver's seat; hard to remember and control from any seat.

Favorite Features

Quiet Ride. MPG. Cargo Area. Passenger space.

Suggested Improvements

Heater, AC, Sound System Controls

Love the get up and go
By 65mustang

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This little unit really goes and I love that. I guess the trade-off is poor MPG. It is a disappointment there is no space under the seats in the back for storage. Bench seats not so comfortable for long rides. One of my other favorite things is that is doesn't beep when you lock it - I HATE that! I bought this because the Flex is about the ugliest thing I've seen but I like being up higher and don't like SUV's. The Tauras X provides pretty good visibility all around. I will also miss the read heat controls of the Windstar I LOVED. I don't like the gear shifter where it is but if it provides a much higher level of safety, I will adjust.

Favorite Features

The acceleration The height of the vehicle The seats fold independently of each other No beep at lock up No problem if you lock your keys in the vehicle I like the little mirror inside for seeing the entire vehicle -clever.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage Under seat storage I would like the middle front storage lowered and a movable arm rest installed. Improved color choices. Storage in the doors like the Windstar. Armrests for back seats Luggage rack standard on all.

A good vehicle to consider
By mdc78

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the Taurus X a month ago. The mileage is accurate from the EPA sticker. I get a little more than 24mpg straight highway driving. My shorter commute of 19 miles with one stop to drop off the kids gives about 20.5mpg. I can't fault the mpg for a large car. I would recommend this car if you wanted a people mover and wanted to buy American. My Taurus will seat 7 in comfort. While not as roomy as a true minivan, it gets the job done. I find this car to be capable in snow and icy conditions. I love the ESP; this keeps the rear end from sliding out when turning. This car feels very secure and well planted in adverse conditions. Consider this or the similar Flex for your next purchase.

Favorite Features

Sync is my favorite feature. While my phone doesn't support all of the car's features, sync is still a fun feature. Again ABS and the stability program is the most useful feature. I would not buy another car without ESP.

Suggested Improvements

The Taurus X has an issue with the paint on the leading edge of the hood. The paint on many models is bubbling. The dealer said there was a TSB for this issue and would be fixed under warranty. I did not consider this a deal breaker. I will get it fixed later and hope it holds up.