Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus-x - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

Bad choice for gravel roads
By bertajean

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I own a 2008 Taurus X SEL & prior to that owned a 2006 Freestyle SEL. If you are looking for a great value on a AWD crossover style vehicle, this is your best option. The other vehicles in that category are VERY over priced. The T-rex (as we call it) is an overall good value, but is not a good choice for gravel roads. I drive 3 - 8 miles of gravel one-way to work. The brakes & wheels hold gravel like you wouldn't believe. The tires are always going out of balance because of that. The body moldings also hold a lot of dust, so difficult to wash as it always leaves streaks of wet gravel running out.

Favorite Features

Best value in the crossover class. Easy to fold 3rd row seats. Sliding & reclining center row seats. Goes through snow no problem.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel design is horrible for gravel roads with gravel getting stuck in the brake mechanisms & wheels, throwing off the balance whenever the gravel is wet. The body moldings hold a lot of water & dust, so the car always streaks when washed.

New in 2009
By ww6stl

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife & I got this new in 2009 as we have 4 kids to transport, at the time from 16 down to 6 and sports from soccer to cheerleading. As of August 2012 it has 125000 miles. If I were on a budget, this is not a car to rack up miles. The radio has never worked properly and was replaced by dealer 2 times; the transmission was replaced at our cost for $3.8K 2 months ago (I have since learned the tranny is an issue on these vehicles); the power steering is on its way out and if I do everything myself it will be another $500 and if I don't $1000. I am on 3rd set of tires (average quality from Sams) on 3rd set of brakes. Mileage on highway between 22.2 and 24.1 even now.

Favorite Features

The only good feature I have found is that I CAN carry all six of our family at one time. Truly nothing else is of note on this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

(1) Figure out what is up with power steering. Over 30 web sites have the same complaint, and the same as me. The steering goes out at low speeds and whines. This started 10,000 miles ago and have tried all the usual remedies. (2) Figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Several shops REFUSED to look at it, finally found an independent shop, he researched the parts, and determined a viable, but costly, solution. (3) Figure out why the brakes go out, some may say 41,500 per set is okay, but seems short lived to me. (4) How about common sense design? In the rain, when the tailgate goes up and you are next to it, get ready for all the rain water to come down on you as it collects in the gate

I really like this car
By barmisho

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I did buy this car 6 month ago with 75K miles on it. No problems at all. Great engine and confortable interior. A little noisy in high RPM. I had 7 different vehicles in the last 2 years including Mazda, Toyota, Pontiac, Chevrolet and Ford, but this is the car I like the most. I really good CUV

Favorite Features

Engine very reliable, interior space more then you expect for a car this size, fuel economy, I get 24 MPG highway, 18 MPG city, A lot of space, fit all my things

Suggested Improvements

Engine a little noisy at high RPM, inaccurate steering, painting quality.

Love the car, hate the repair costs
By carissa2

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for a month, just noticed it was leaking antifreeze so I took it in to verify my suspicions. Sure enough it needs a new water pump, unfortunately in this engine it is driven off of the timing chain. Resulting in very high labor charges of over $1k.

Favorite Features

I love sitting up higher and it handles great in the snow. I am 6 ft tall and find this car to be very roomy for me.

Suggested Improvements

It is obvious the people who design these engines don't have to repair them. Really $1400 to replace a water pump, come on. This should be a normal maintenance item not something you have to take a loan out to fix.

2008 TaurusX
By JRNFL

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Eddie Bauer 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Before I got serious about my car shopping, I'd never heard of the TaurusX and I swore I would never own a Ford. The TX changed my mind and I got a great deal in 2009 on a left over 2008. Too bad for Ford that they didn't bother to advertise and tout this vehicle as it is a great vehicle. I really love the power and although I really tried, I couldn't find any major faults with the car. It's been over a year and about 17,000 miles and only routine maintenance. It was a good buy and one I would repeat if it were needed. I recommend it to others.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Improve the roof rack by adding cross bars; provide a rear door window that actually goes up and down to provide more accessibility and ventilation.