Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

This is my first Ford ever...Love it.
By nottafordguy

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought with 110k. Well I got rid of my mid-life crisis mobile (a Crossfire) to accomodate a dog and clients. I have a large boxer. She hates bucket seats so this vehicle didn't help in that regard (all six seats are buckets)...but here's an easy fix! I folded the rear seats down. I then duct-taped foam to three planks I got from walmart and wrapped in blanket material to match the vehicle interior. The planks fit over the ridge (where the cupholders are) so they are perfectly flat and sit without moving. I ran three planks across the width of the vehicle, covered them with a blanket and voila' - dog bed. She has the most comfortable ride in the vehicle. This is a good ride all around!

Love all the 12 volt outlets and the audio input under the arm rest. I bought a $25 blue tooth that plugs into the audio and my phone syncs up with the car audio so I can stream pandora and use the Google Maps navigation like the big boys! The hands-free calling works great too. (not sure if I like the fact that it stays active with the car off or not...won't that run the battery down?). The sound system is really nice and there is no engine noise even when playing through the audio port. AMPLE Storage: theres a pop-up on the dash, the glovebox, sunglass holder on the ceiling, and storage bins between the first and second row of seats and room for boxes behind the last row of seats.

City mileage is 15mpg. Could be better. Hwy is 25mpg. Molding around the bottom seems kind of flimsy (and in my case, one side is popped out). I'll revisit this if I find anything wrong but I have very few complaints!

Bad brakes -available kits don't have all the parts
By annabanana1140

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Eddie Bauer 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Taurus X has only 17000 miles and needs new brakes.
This is poor design or workmanship as far as I am concerned! We
are searching for a manual but they're telling me it takes a week to get it so I am without a car for a week while I search for an manual that will tell us what the missing pieces are and how to get it apart & back together again.
New brakes was supposed to be a surprise when I got back from a holiday trip for Thanksgiving.
I'm not happy that they make a functionary part like the brakes so hard or obscure to do a regular maintenance job on- though it seems like very poor mileage for a set of front brakes for a front wheel drive vehicle! Other than that I've enjoyed it.

Automatic gate lift;power outlet for cooler for summer grocery shopping, ease of making cargo space.

Make the brakes and tires last longer. I am going to need new tires before the snow hits!

Bad choice for gravel roads
By bertajean

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I own a 2008 Taurus X SEL & prior to that owned a 2006 Freestyle SEL.
If you are looking for a great value on a AWD crossover style vehicle, this is your best option.
The other vehicles in that category are VERY over priced.
The T-rex (as we call it) is an overall good value, but is not a good choice for gravel roads.
I drive 3 - 8 miles of gravel one-way to work.
The brakes & wheels hold gravel like you wouldn't believe.
The tires are always going out of balance because of that.
The body moldings also hold a lot of dust, so difficult to wash as it always leaves streaks of wet gravel running out.

Best value in the crossover class. Easy to fold 3rd row seats. Sliding & reclining center row seats. Goes through snow no problem.

Wheel design is horrible for gravel roads with gravel getting stuck in the brake mechanisms & wheels, throwing off the balance whenever the gravel is wet. The body moldings hold a lot of water & dust, so the car always streaks when washed.

New in 2009
By ww6stl

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife & I got this new in 2009 as we have 4 kids to transport, at the time from 16 down to 6 and sports from soccer to cheerleading.
As of August 2012 it has 125000 miles.
If I were on a budget, this is not a car to rack up miles.
The radio has never worked properly and was replaced by dealer 2 times; the transmission was replaced at our cost for $3.8K 2 months ago (I have since learned the tranny is an issue on these vehicles); the power steering is on its way out and if I do everything myself it will be another $500 and if I don't $1000.
I am on 3rd set of tires (average quality from Sams) on 3rd set of
brakes.
Mileage on highway between 22.2 and 24.1 even now.

The only good feature I have found is that I CAN carry all six of our family at one time. Truly nothing else is of note on this vehicle.

(1) Figure out what is up with power steering. Over 30 web sites have the same complaint, and the same as me. The steering goes out at low speeds and whines. This started 10,000 miles ago and have tried all the usual remedies. (2) Figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Several shops REFUSED to look at it, finally found an independent shop, he researched the parts, and determined a viable, but costly, solution. (3) Figure out why the brakes go out, some may say 41,500 per set is okay, but seems short lived to me. (4) How about common sense design? In the rain, when the tailgate goes up and you are next to it, get ready for all the rain water to come down on you as it collects in the gate

I really like this car
By barmisho

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I did buy this car 6 month ago with 75K miles on it. No problems at all. Great engine and confortable interior. A little noisy in high RPM. I had 7 different vehicles in the last 2 years including Mazda, Toyota, Pontiac, Chevrolet and Ford, but this is the car I like the most. I really good CUV

Engine very reliable, interior space more then you expect for a car this size, fuel economy, I get 24 MPG highway, 18 MPG city, A lot of space, fit all my things

Engine a little noisy at high RPM, inaccurate steering, painting quality.