Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

Dead at 177,000 miles
By doublebogey74@gmail.com

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Beware buying! Major transmission issues, water pump is $1200 repair, steering issues, and ours died at 177,000 miles. Had all maintenance done by a ford dealer and synthetic oil changes. The water pump will fail, and can cause engine failure. We thought we were lucky and got it repaired ($1200-$1500), only to have the engine fail 6 months later. Never used any oil, but the connecting rods are weak on the 3.5's. I will never ever buy a Ford product ever again.

end of warranty is "sell by" date
By conflicted1

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used in 2011 with 32,000 miles, for road trips, which it excelled at. Noticed that the driver's side of the second row bench seat did not want to fold. Found that spraying silicone lube in the mechanisim and then exercising it weekly kept it working. The tach would go nuts from time to time, reading 500-1000rpm too high, or 500rpm too low. Ford seems to have expected this and built in a mechanism to rezero the tach and speedo. 25 seconds after the engine is shut off, both the tach and speedo needles swing counterclockwise for a moment, then return. When the tach went nuts, up to three start stop cycles, to provoke the rezero process, would correct it.

Smooth, quite and stable at highway speeds. Roomy and airy feel to passenger compartment and room for a ton of cargo. Exceptionally easy to use cruise control and auto climate control. 6 disc CD changer, which is now hard to find. Solid construciton and excellent crash test scores. Insurance premiums significantly lower than my previous car. Backup sonar to warn of obstacles with sound alarm much better than watching a TV camera.

These cars seem to be designed to live through the original new car warranty, and not much longer. Interior trim looks nice, but lots of flimsy, creaking, plastic. While I could put up with the tach and seat mechanism issues, what sealed the car's fate was the power steering. With 41,000 on the clock, I started feeling an occasional hitch in the steering. Research indicated this is a symptom of an impending failure of valves in the steering rack, a $1,000 repair. Add in the grief others have had with water pumps, power steering pumps and transmissions, often at only 70,000 miles, and this car is just not worth the bother.

Safety!
By fordcrap1

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am the original owner. I got a powersteering failure when it reached 38000 miles, immediately after 3 year/36000 miles warranty.I had it fixed with $850 from Ford Dealer with OEM parts. Six months later, power steering failed again with the exact same problem. Not recommended.

Tranny Trouble
By fordnotfun

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We pruchased used in June 2011, in August 2012 had to replace the water pump which was costly ($2100) due to the location of the pump, making labor cost HIGH! Then in December 2012 the transmission was replaced, talk about expensive--plus needing to rent a car for the 2 weeks it took to get it back. Since then, the transmission still is not right, jumping all over--now they are thinking the computer is not working correctly. So, $6200 spent in 6 mos, now looking at more problems--would definitely NOT recommend!!!

This is my first Ford ever...Love it.
By nottafordguy

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought with 110k. Well I got rid of my mid-life crisis mobile (a Crossfire) to accomodate a dog and clients. I have a large boxer. She hates bucket seats so this vehicle didn't help in that regard (all six seats are buckets)...but here's an easy fix! I folded the rear seats down. I then duct-taped foam to three planks I got from walmart and wrapped in blanket material to match the vehicle interior. The planks fit over the ridge (where the cupholders are) so they are perfectly flat and sit without moving. I ran three planks across the width of the vehicle, covered them with a blanket and voila' - dog bed. She has the most comfortable ride in the vehicle. This is a good ride all around!

Love all the 12 volt outlets and the audio input under the arm rest. I bought a $25 blue tooth that plugs into the audio and my phone syncs up with the car audio so I can stream pandora and use the Google Maps navigation like the big boys! The hands-free calling works great too. (not sure if I like the fact that it stays active with the car off or not...won't that run the battery down?). The sound system is really nice and there is no engine noise even when playing through the audio port. AMPLE Storage: theres a pop-up on the dash, the glovebox, sunglass holder on the ceiling, and storage bins between the first and second row of seats and room for boxes behind the last row of seats.

City mileage is 15mpg. Could be better. Hwy is 25mpg. Molding around the bottom seems kind of flimsy (and in my case, one side is popped out). I'll revisit this if I find anything wrong but I have very few complaints!