Used 2008 Ford Taurus X Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus X - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

end of warranty is "sell by" date
By conflicted1

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used in 2011 with 32,000 miles, for road trips, which it excelled at. Noticed that the driver's side of the second row bench seat did not want to fold. Found that spraying silicone lube in the mechanisim and then exercising it weekly kept it working. The tach would go nuts from time to time, reading 500-1000rpm too high, or 500rpm too low. Ford seems to have expected this and built in a mechanism to rezero the tach and speedo. 25 seconds after the engine is shut off, both the tach and speedo needles swing counterclockwise for a moment, then return. When the tach went nuts, up to three start stop cycles, to provoke the rezero process, would correct it.

Smooth, quite and stable at highway speeds. Roomy and airy feel to passenger compartment and room for a ton of cargo. Exceptionally easy to use cruise control and auto climate control. 6 disc CD changer, which is now hard to find. Solid construciton and excellent crash test scores. Insurance premiums significantly lower than my previous car. Backup sonar to warn of obstacles with sound alarm much better than watching a TV camera.

These cars seem to be designed to live through the original new car warranty, and not much longer. Interior trim looks nice, but lots of flimsy, creaking, plastic. While I could put up with the tach and seat mechanism issues, what sealed the car's fate was the power steering. With 41,000 on the clock, I started feeling an occasional hitch in the steering. Research indicated this is a symptom of an impending failure of valves in the steering rack, a $1,000 repair. Add in the grief others have had with water pumps, power steering pumps and transmissions, often at only 70,000 miles, and this car is just not worth the bother.

Excellent Family Vehicle
By Aharv

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Having always driven small cars, I wanted to step up to something larger, but didn't want a mammoth SUV. I bought my limited in May of 2009 and am still in love with it. The Sync is awesome. Interior is roomy and comfortable and everyone raves over it. My 8 year old step daughter loves her DVD player and we love the wireless headphones. Cargo area is great and completely flexible. Very comfortable on road trips. Fuel economy averages around 25-26 on interstate and about 22-23 in town.

SYNC!!! so easy to set up, a breeze to use. Fold flat seats make packing for trips so easy. I love the tan leather interior with my black exterior, looks sharp without getting too hot inside.Multiple storage compartments are roomy and easy to get to....allowing everyone to store their stuff!

None! Exterior may be a bit plain for some, but I love mine.

MPG update
By cllgmom

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mileage has risen from 13 to 16 for primarily city driving with 1100 mi. on odometer. I'm hopeful that when we drive 400+miles roundtrip on highway soon it will rise further. No negative issues have cropped up, but I have now noticed some rather cheap finishing on exterior trim. Other than those two things, I'm still very happy with it.

Sync, safety, rear sensing system

Improve exterior trim finishing

So Far, So Good
By cllgmom

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

With our last child in college, we were looking for something besides a minivan with decent cargo space. I stumbled onto a review for the Taurus X in Consumer Reports 2009 car issue and was impressed with what I read. Other CUVs and SUVs were either too small and/or too expensive. It had all the features I was looking for - comfortable, reclining rear seats and safety. The reported mpg was about the same as our old minivan. I can't speak to mpg yet as I've only had it a week and I'm sure it will take a little time to break in. It drives like a dream and feels like a tank!

Safety, MP3, Sync, heated seats, body style

Audio controls on steering wheel, 40/40/20 split bench seat

The Name Sold Me
By julie

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Owned a Taurus sadan for 10 years, looked for replacement, found X, love it. We have had it just over a year and wouldn't have changed it. When it is clean it sparkles (Black shows everything) We added a tow hitch and it is great to tow small trailer for vacations. We have owned a Ford for the past 20 years and will continue it quality continues. Gas mileage runs about 21-24 mpg, with living in a rual area.

I love the heated seats, the dual control heating. Kids can control what they want- cooling or heating. Husband loves Sirius radio. I like the push button to lift middle seat to get in back. We had car 5 months before we found it. Oops

My only real complaint it the DVD played blocking view from rearview mirror. I have gotten use to it,but took time. I thought I would like SYNC for phone, but phone recievers can't hear me very well.