2008 Ford Taurus X - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:
end of warranty is "sell by" date
By conflicted1 on 02/26/14 08:58 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used in 2011 with 32,000 miles, for road trips, which it excelled at. Noticed that the driver's side of the second row bench seat did not want to fold. Found that spraying silicone lube in the mechanisim and then exercising it weekly kept it working. The tach would go nuts from time to time, reading 500-1000rpm too high, or 500rpm too low. Ford seems to have expected this and built in a mechanism to rezero the tach and speedo. 25 seconds after the engine is shut off, both the tach and speedo needles swing counterclockwise for a moment, then return. When the tach went nuts, up to three start stop cycles, to provoke the rezero process, would correct it.

Safety!
By fordcrap1 on 04/01/13 13:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am the original owner. I got a powersteering failure when it reached 38000 miles, immediately after 3 year/36000 miles warranty.I had it fixed with $850 from Ford Dealer with OEM parts. Six months later, power steering failed again with the exact same problem. Not recommended.

Tranny Trouble
By fordnotfun on 02/09/13 07:10 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We pruchased used in June 2011, in August 2012 had to replace the water pump which was costly ($2100) due to the location of the pump, making labor cost HIGH! Then in December 2012 the transmission was replaced, talk about expensive--plus needing to rent a car for the 2 weeks it took to get it back. Since then, the transmission still is not right, jumping all over--now they are thinking the computer is not working correctly. So, $6200 spent in 6 mos, now looking at more problems--would definitely NOT recommend!!!

This is my first Ford ever...Love it.
By nottafordguy on 12/16/12 09:58 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Taurus X Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought with 110k. Well I got rid of my mid-life crisis mobile (a Crossfire) to accomodate a dog and clients. I have a large boxer. She hates bucket seats so this vehicle didn't help in that regard (all six seats are buckets)...but here's an easy fix! I folded the rear seats down. I then duct-taped foam to three planks I got from walmart and wrapped in blanket material to match the vehicle interior. The planks fit over the ridge (where the cupholders are) so they are perfectly flat and sit without moving. I ran three planks across the width of the vehicle, covered them with a blanket and voila' - dog bed. She has the most comfortable ride in the vehicle. This is a good ride all around!

Bad brakes -available kits don't have all the parts
By annabanana1140 on 11/25/12 19:14 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Taurus X Eddie Bauer 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Taurus X has only 17000 miles and needs new brakes. This is poor design or workmanship as far as I am concerned! We are searching for a manual but they're telling me it takes a week to get it so I am without a car for a week while I search for an manual that will tell us what the missing pieces are and how to get it apart & back together again. New brakes was supposed to be a surprise when I got back from a holiday trip for Thanksgiving. I'm not happy that they make a functionary part like the brakes so hard or obscure to do a regular maintenance job on- though it seems like very poor mileage for a set of front brakes for a front wheel drive vehicle! Other than that I've enjoyed it.

Bad choice for gravel roads
By bertajean on 11/05/12 09:17 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I own a 2008 Taurus X SEL & prior to that owned a 2006 Freestyle SEL. If you are looking for a great value on a AWD crossover style vehicle, this is your best option. The other vehicles in that category are VERY over priced. The T-rex (as we call it) is an overall good value, but is not a good choice for gravel roads. I drive 3 - 8 miles of gravel one-way to work. The brakes & wheels hold gravel like you wouldn't believe. The tires are always going out of balance because of that. The body moldings also hold a lot of dust, so difficult to wash as it always leaves streaks of wet gravel running out.

New in 2009
By ww6stl on 10/03/12 20:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife & I got this new in 2009 as we have 4 kids to transport, at the time from 16 down to 6 and sports from soccer to cheerleading. As of August 2012 it has 125000 miles. If I were on a budget, this is not a car to rack up miles. The radio has never worked properly and was replaced by dealer 2 times; the transmission was replaced at our cost for $3.8K 2 months ago (I have since learned the tranny is an issue on these vehicles); the power steering is on its way out and if I do everything myself it will be another $500 and if I don't $1000. I am on 3rd set of tires (average quality from Sams) on 3rd set of brakes. Mileage on highway between 22.2 and 24.1 even now.

I really like this car
By barmisho on 07/02/12 08:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I did buy this car 6 month ago with 75K miles on it. No problems at all. Great engine and confortable interior. A little noisy in high RPM. I had 7 different vehicles in the last 2 years including Mazda, Toyota, Pontiac, Chevrolet and Ford, but this is the car I like the most. I really good CUV

Love the car, hate the repair costs
By carissa2 on 03/13/12 15:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for a month, just noticed it was leaking antifreeze so I took it in to verify my suspicions. Sure enough it needs a new water pump, unfortunately in this engine it is driven off of the timing chain. Resulting in very high labor charges of over $1k.

2008 TaurusX
By JRNFL on 08/09/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Taurus X Eddie Bauer 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Before I got serious about my car shopping, I'd never heard of the TaurusX and I swore I would never own a Ford. The TX changed my mind and I got a great deal in 2009 on a left over 2008. Too bad for Ford that they didn't bother to advertise and tout this vehicle as it is a great vehicle. I really love the power and although I really tried, I couldn't find any major faults with the car. It's been over a year and about 17,000 miles and only routine maintenance. It was a good buy and one I would repeat if it were needed. I recommend it to others.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.