2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Consumer Review: 2014 Shelby GT500 review from

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (5.8L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Manual)

2014 Shelby GT500 review from the average owner
By forrest48 on

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Convertible (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The 2014 reviews I have read always compare the Shelby GT500 to cars of different catagories. The comparisons to me are skewed and biased. The Shelby GT500 is just what the late Carroll Shelby wanted-The fastest and most powerful pony car on the planet. It should not be compared to all the high end sports cars that are double or triple the price. Paid reviews or biased opinions can't diminish the fact the Shelby GT500 has the most hp of any American production model vehicle ever and it is a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

The hand built 5.8L 662 hp engine is awesome. It's sound is intimidating and when I am at a traffic light and a youngster pulls up next me in a small nimble little foreign car. It's nice to show him what true American muscle looks like in the form of my tail-lights getting smaller in the distance. The Shelby badges are always in style and the Recaro seats are surprisingly comfortable. The convertible top is top quality since my last experience with the old days of rag tops. The interior remains quiet and climate is comfortable when the top is up.

Suggested Improvements

Just like in any job or car. There are always areas of improvement. The interior could have been improved with more Shelby badges and less plastic. With the price you pay for a Shelby you think there would be a significant difference compared to the other models. It's still awesome to me. I don't know if an IRS would be an improvement over the live rear axle. I don't look at a Mustang as a European sports car going through curvy mountain roads. I see as a pony car ready to dust someone at the traffic light or lonely road like in American Graffiti. It will be an endless debate.